“great staff, great stay”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sparta
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sparta
Reviewed September 5, 2013

we stayed the weekend (Labor Day), of course, to bike. Compliments to the staff, helpful & friendly. the rooms were clean and comfortable. breakfast..good, plenty to eat and thank you for having the coffee on all the time! we took advantage of the pool and the hot tub, felt good after a good bike ride. we will, hopefully, be back later this fall. Thanks.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
GM02959, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sparta, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. We hope to see you again when you are in the area.

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

My son and I are driving from Washington State to Pennsylvania. Using reviews and a booking app we found this pleasant place. Right off I-90. Next to a gas station and restaurant and other conveniences.
I'd stay again. No complaints. Great friendly (Brenda checked us in) service.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank JVWagar

So glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to being your hosts again soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed here two nights while exploring the Sparta-Elroy trail. Staff was helpful and friendly, room was clean. We had a king size bed, and the room seemed just a bit small for the bed. We stored our two bicycles in the room one day and it was a bit tight, but manageable.

The all important factors were met: quiet for sleeping, comfortable bed, ample sized bathroom with adequate hot water in the shower, room was clean.

Structurally speaking, the facility seemed to have been built to just barely meet code (which is never a good idea). The stairs creaked loudly, and the floors were a bit noisy. This didn't become a problem, but when you aren't staying at a cheap hotel, you expect a better built facility.

One thing that I really liked was that the door closers on the room and hallway doors were the best I have seen. They close reasonably fast, but at the last part of closing then slow down quite effectively and end up closing very quietly. This is so nice because it makes peoples movements much quieter. Too many hotels have door closers that loudly announce each closing - but not here.

For the first day, the breakfast was adequate, but not wonderful. The second day was disappointing. We got there towards the end and things were looking neglected. The far-too-small garbage cans were overflowing, some items were running low or depleted. For hot food, the three selections were: 1: sausages, 2: sausages, 3: sausage gravy (for biscuits). Worst variety of hot food selection that I have experienced. What if you don't eat sausage, like me (and perhaps a number of other cyclists)? The idea of three sections in the warmer is to have three different items, not identical ones or very slight variations. A failing grade for planning here.

The only hot food option was waffles (or toast, I suppose, but that was running low too). The syrup was wiped out, however. We ended up eating a little bit that we could scavenge and going elsewhere to really eat. This reduced the value and "restaurant" aspects for me.

Nevertheless, overall our stay was decent, so I can't give a poor rating overall. If they give attention to their breakfast offering, it will improve things considerably.

It was fun seeing folks that we had met on the bike trail back at the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your comments Sparta is a great place to enjoy the bike trails anytime of the year. Our breakfast typically consists of three different hot items as well as waffles, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, breads, bagels, donuts and muffins, coffee, juice, milk, and oatmeal. We invite you to come back and give us another try.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here one night after a day of biking the Sparta-Elroy trail. The women at the front desk were so friendly and helpful. One even helped my husband carry his suitcase up to the room while he carried the bike. Rooms were a bit small but clean. Beds comfortable. Was nice to have the small refrigerator in the room. I think there was a small micro too, but I can't remember. Hotel breakfast is the usual hotel breakfast but still satisfying. They have a cocktail lounge here as part of their buffet room. Great family restaurant next door with prices that so reasonable we had to check the bill twice to see that it was ours (highly recommended). Great time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Rooms clean, had pool and hot tub to ourselves. Breakfast had items like scrambled eggs and sausage with abundant yogurt, cereal and other choices.

Front staff was very attentive and when we left a pillow from home in the hotel, the staff mailed it to our home the day after calling and notifying them.

Highly recommend!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your kind comments. We are happy to hear your pillow made it home quickly.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times before I became disabled, so I had no problems booking this hotel again. What a mistake. The ONLY reason I gave it a 3 was because the front desk staff was very helpful. These people are your best assets.

If you can't climb steps, but instead use a walker, forget about getting in to this hotel easily. The front door is about 4 feet from the front steps. If you need a ramp, you have to travel way to the right of the long front porch and then back to the front door. Also, there is no ramp from the lot to the front door ramp, so after you park you have to back track to the ramp in front of the steps and then take your lovely little tour to get to the ramp for the hotel. Then, if you have a scooter or wheelchair, you face even more barriers. The front doors are the kind where you can only open one side if you open the other first. Fine. So you open the one that opens first, which happens to be closest to you. Now you have the door open as far as it goes, and because of the way the hotel is designed, you can't get around the door to get in. SO, you close it and travel to the other end of the front porch so you can approach this door from the other way. However, again, because of the way the entrance is designed, you can't swing wide enough to both open the door AND get inside. Of course, there are NO buzzers or bells you can ring to call for help. There are no automatic doors either...I suspect because, with the design of the door and steps, an automatic door would probably wind up pushing a disabled person right off the porch and down the steps!

Great. The front desk person notices you are there and comes running! Relief at last. They help you check in, help you get your luggage on the cart and even offer to help you get to your room (not necessary for me normally). You get your room assignment and now those who are reading are thinking 'well, now you can just go in a side entrace'. Ah, that would be nice, but all the entrances have barriers. Every entrance I saw had at least a 6 inch step up into the building. No scooter or wheelchair is going over that. So each time I had to leave and return to the hotel I had to go thru this. The last time was later at night when I should definitely NOT have been taking that long to get inside a building.

Lets talk "handicapped access" room. I was surprised to see that they had a great bathroom for HC people as far as grab bars were concerned, but it is pretty obvious that the room wasn't originally designed for HC people. I've slept in bigger closets. There was no way my scooter was going to fit between the bed and the dresser so I can't imagine how they expect anyone who is HC to get to the other side of the room to adjust the A/C or heat. There was a small amount of room to park my scooter in the room, but that was it, and the only place where I could park the scooter made it difficult to get into the closet area.

The hallway also has doors that are kept shut in the hallways. I'm assuming they are supposed to be fire doors, although I spent 8 years working in the hotel industry and they seemed awfully light weight for fire doors. The problem here arises in that they aren't magnetically operated so that when a fire alarm goes off, they close, They are just kept closed all the time. Ever try to pull open a door and hold it open while trying to get your scooter past, especially when dragging a luggage cart behind you? Yea, good trick. It took me at least 1/2 an hour to get me and my stuff out of the hotel upon checkout, because of these barriers.

In other observations, the lobby still looks nice, but while I was taking my scenic route on the front porch I noticed that the wooden columns are rotting because they were built on concrete (if wood touches concrete, wood will rot). They are a complete mess. I also noticed that this hotel is starting to show wear everywhere. Woodwork is marked up/ beat up and it is getting just an all-around worn look.

OH, and the bed was as hard as a rock. If you like sleeping on wood planks, this is the hotel for you!

To say I won't be back is an understatement.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kathy R
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Everyone was so friendly and VERY helpful. My husband is disabled and the front desk staff Kathy J., volunteered to help haul 150 lb. oxygen tank up 17 steps. She definitely went ABOVE & beyond the call of duty. The whole staff here will do everything they can to HELP you. We were impressed with this huge act of kindness and overall experience of our stay. The entire staff from maids to service people, front desk, etc. were exceptionally kind and friendly. I would call them INCREDIBLE. This speaks well of the management, as well.
Comfortable beds and nice two room whirlpool suite with desk, kitchen table, couch, X-large HDMI Flat panel TV, refrigerator, microwave, extra kitchen sink and cupboard space. We really enjoyed the extra space. Superb INTERNET - blazing FAST.
A full breakfast with great variety over our 3 mornings stay. Well stocked even if you arrived late.
It was a quiet place and pretty setting. Easy to find.
Tip - Edwardo's Pizza offers wood-fired pizzas, in Lacrosse & is well worth the drive.

Room Tip: The whole place was a quiet retreat - you can't go wrong at this place.