“Warm, Inviting, All-Occasion Restaurant and Bar”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Jake's Northwoods Restaurant and Banquet Facility
Ranked #5 of 39 Restaurants in Sparta
Cuisines: American
Wisconsin, USA
“Warm, Inviting, All-Occasion Restaurant and Bar”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We are blessed in our community of Sparta to have several good eating places. Jake's is one of those places where you can stop by on Thursday nights for their $2.00 hamburger (+ a little for the trimmings that you choose) or have a special dinner with steak, fish entree, or special of the day. They have a fresh lettuce salad bar and homemade soup. You can also just stop by for a beverage and popcorn that is in the bar area. The wait staff must enjoy their jobs as they have been there a long time and always welcome you. Jake has a knack of serving an unusual dish for banquets or special occasions ... taste and presentation that makes this a comfortable and welcoming place in Sparta.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank JALO_WI_USA

Warrens, Wisconsin
“Quote "I don't want you back in my restaurant"”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I should have rated this lower but the food was excellent. This whole experience was made very bad by the manager. Started out with a 7 PM reservation. We got seated around 7:40. The salad bar was set up with the dressing first and then the plates, and then salad, etc. And then we waited and waited for our food. Around 8:40, 9 out of the 10 of us got our food. Our last person did not get served until 9. Which is when the band started in the room. So much for talking. Plus 2 of the girls in our group ordered the same pasta special and the were no where near the same dish. I finally found the manager and brought all this up with her. She said she would look into it. A few minutes later she asked to talk to me, and her first words were "I will comp your meal but I never want you back in my restaurant again" How would you respond to that? She said she was having a rough night and recently had surgery. And then she threw her waitress under the bus and said it was all her fault. She is not suppose to serve anyone until all of the meals are ready. So I asked her why my steak is suppose to sit in the kitchen for 20 minutes while the cook catches up. At this point some more of our party came over, the manager started crying, and I went back to my table and found my waitress and explained all of this to her. She had done a good job and I wanted her to know what kind of person she was working for. At this point the manager came back over and chewed out the waitress in front of all of us. The manager made this whole situation worse and worse. The only meal that was comped was the late one, because she didnt want it anymore after waiting for so long. Like I said earlier, I should have rated this lower but the food was excellent.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Rob163
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Beyond expectations”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I had an early dinner at Jakes. The waiter, David, was just great. My wife had the ribs. Not fall-off-the-bone, but the flavor was delicious. I ordered the prime rib (Saturday Special) and it was beyond expectations. I frequently have high hopes when I order prime rib. Too often, the meat is either tough or not much taste or both. This prime rib looked exceptional when it was served. The first bite was absolutely groan worthy. Great meal, great service. Little gem in the northwoods.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank LouieJPosqueda
Tomah, Wisconsin
“Poor Value, Average Food, Odd”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

What a strange experience. I'm a local, never tried Jakes; had high expectations. Country feel, seat yourself, sticky table. Waitress was pleasant but inattentive - didn't keep our water glasses full and the place was not that busy - she stood at the bar quite a bit. Paper napkins, no place mat or other amenities $15-20 meal prices should warrant. Desert plates on the salad bar which was very fresh, the soup was very good also. Small portions, very salty but that might not be fair since I rarely/never use salt. My husband dinner was much tastier than mine. Waiter leaned over the table next to ours and stuck his butt right in our faces. The atmosphere is very northwoods, quaint - I would have expected lower prices for a place that looked like this. I wish the prices charged were justified by awesome tasting food but it was just average. Overall a disappointment.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Roze H
WI
“Good food!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The food here is very good. The fish fry is tastey as well as the fried chicken. We have been here twice and the service has been has been friendly and prompt as well. Will go back again.

• Visited May 2013