“Great place for the Family”
Review of Slice of Chicago

Slice of Chicago
Ranked #1 of 40 Restaurants in Sparta
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Description: I'd like to review this excellent pizza restaurant in Sparta, WI. Sparta is a tourist destination for biking, and this is one of the best restaurants in town. My entire group LOVED it when we ate there over the weekend. One person said it was the best pizza she had ever eaten.
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Food was very good, atmosphere was homey, service was excellent, and it's obviously a local favorite. I'd definitely go back

Reviewed August 13, 2011

I'm at Ft. McCoy for a school and staying in Sparta. I've been on a quest to find a good restaurant and I believe I've hit the jackpot.
I was dining alone, so I was lucky enough to be seated immediately. Be forewarned, if you have a large party (5 or more) there's a good chance you'll be waiting, but IT'S WORTH IT! At first, I wasn't happy with it because when I first walked in, I was sort of greeted by a man (who looks like Santa) and after a somewhat uncomfortable exchange, was seated. It wasn't long before I realized that he was actually a really great guy and actually sat with me while I was eating (I think they sat me at their 'work' table) and learned that he and his wife both grew up literally minutes from my hometown near Chicago.
I ordered the pan pizza (I believe it was "the Gutbuster") and after just a few minutes of great conversation, my pizza arrived. It's not what I'd call pan pizza, but it was delicious nonetheless. I did everything I could to finish the 10" pizza, but I had to call it quits after eating just 3/4 of it.
Slice of Chicago is no doubt the best restaurant I've been to in Sparta and since I have to be here for two more weeks, I'll no doubt be back. Thanks Len and Barb!
Oh, I almost forgot, they don't take credit cards, so stop at the ATM before you get there!

Reviewed March 14, 2011

Been here many times. This pizza is the absolute bomb. The italian crust is like New York style pizza. Large crust edge with a thinner crust where the cheese is. It is crisp on the bottom, yet when you chew it, it's a little goey too. The cheese is great and for you sausage lovers; it is brought in from Chicago and it is truely wonderful. The pepperoni is O.K., just tastes like any other pepperoni anywhere. The sausage truely shines head and shoulders above the other pizza meat here. The sauce is just right too -- maybe a tad salty if I had to criticize. Great pizza like this is hard to come by in these parts. I would love to try the italian hot beefs that they have here too -- but the pizza is so damn good I cannot get past getting that EVERY time we go there. I guess there is always take out for the hot beef and I can get back to you on that..... Remember, they are open officially at 5:00 PM, but they will take orders at 4:30PM if push comes to shove, and they are done at 10:00PM, and closed on Mondays. They also do a lot of take out here, and for good reason -- THE PIZZA IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed November 10, 2010

WOW! If you are looking for some tasty Chicago-style pizza, stop in here. You'll be greeted by the friendly owner, who will take your drink order if there's a wait (and there often is, since the restaurant is located in a cute, but tiny house.) At first glance you'll think the drink menu only has Leinenkugels (not that there's anything wrong with that), but look deeper and you'll see Mississippi Mud, a very tasty, very dark beer (black and tan, using porter). There's also a regionally brewed hard lemonade that is not to be missed. But the pizza, oh, the pizza! Be sure to get the hand-tossed, which my girlfriend said was "the best pizza I had ever had in my entire life." If you dare, ask the owner (who is from Chicago of course) to share some of his special hot sauces. You'll forever think that hot sauce should always be put on pizza! As I mentioned, the place is small, so try to go during off hours or be prepared to wait on the enclosed porch. But any wait is more than worth it!

1  Thank SRJMod

Been to Slice of Chicago? Share your experiences!