See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 1, 2016

Can't really give alot of info...it was during the week so not much going on. I thought the prices on the river were outrageous if you were not going to go tubing. Campsite was clean, but in need of some updates. We stayed in the Meadows, and I can honestly say that they are in desperate need of maintenance in the bathrooms. It was a place to rest for the night, but I probably would find a different campground if we are in the area again.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2016

Like other reviews, the owners and hosts were fabulous. The campground, pool and bathrooms are a bit dated, but clean and functional. If we would come again, we would stay here as a family rather than the other campgrounds which we saw and heard were college student drunk feasts.

The river sites are definitely a more party vibe. You can hear the music from Float Rite until early morning and they also run a party bus for those inclined.

If you are not into that, the Meadows is for you. Wide open sites, I did not see any full hook-ups, but water and electric looked well maintained. People were awake and talking until late, but no beer bong, bag parties. The staff asked me more than once how it was that day in the Meadows and seemed very pleased that it was quite.

Now let's talk the Apple River scene. We are from Chicago and I read an article several years ago about how wonderful this float was and I have always wanted to try it. Since I had my 10 y.o. Daughter for two days between her summer camp sessions, this seemed like my perfect opportunity. From the guy at the restaurant who looked at us knowing we did not know what we were getting into, to the person at ARFC who looked at me, and pointed at her and shook her head no, know that this is not a family friendly atmosphere for most families.

It was advised to do this early Sunday morning since we would not be here during the week. It was OK, but cold. As a comparison, for the afternoons, think Coke lot at the Indy 500 or Bike week at Daytona. Both a great popular time, but not for the kiddos.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank goskiing
Reviewed July 25, 2016

So let me give you the review from two different angles.....

If you are in your 20's or even just looking to have a drunken good time, this is the campground for you.

From a Mother of 3's view here is my review. There was broken glass found on our site and all over along the way. We stayed on the river in our travel trailer. Luckily, we did not stay over by where the tents were. There were tons of drunk adults roaming the campground. I wouldn't even let my 7th grade and 4th grader play on the playground by themselves because of how drunk people were. My husband used the restroom near the swimming pool, only to hear a couple having sex in the showers. Hopefully my 4th grade son, who had used the restroom before his dad didn't have to hear it too. Bonus....someone had their LOUD music playing way past midnight.
Our 37' trailer barely fit into the so called 40' site. It was a very tight squeeze. Our camper barely made it through the narrow path and branches hung very low so plan on having your camper scratched to hell.
We were going to plan on going down the river and go tubing until we saw how much garbage was traveling down the river. Bottles, cans, and many other items. The entire river bank is just trashed. Not to mention the countless drunks floating down the river.

So, will I ever bring my family here again to camp......not a shot! You couldn't pay me to come back here.
If you're going regardless of my review, I would suggest taking your family up to The Meadows campground.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled with family
4  Thank Janell F
Reviewed July 11, 2016

We stayed in the Meadows, a girlfriend weekend away. The campground was really quiet only about 5-10 total units. Showers and bathrooms were very clean, the pool was heated and clean. There was some confusion on reservations and people being in the wrong sites, but ended up working out for the better.

While this says Family, I would agree for the campground itself, but would never bring kids down the river on the weekend.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2016 via mobile

Family stayed overnight on a weekday prior to a holiday weekend in the Meadows. Surprisingly empty, but was relatively cool, breezy weather. Didn't go tubing. Restrooms were clean. Showers are a bank of separate rooms and require $1.00 in quarters for 10 minutes of hot water (cold water is free).
We asked about setting up camp in one of the many empty river's edge spots instead of the Meadows (where the pool was not in service), but were told would cost $60 for the night instead of nearly $40 rate.
Altogether too expensive for an overnight stay, especially when paying for showers. We will probably choose another campground next time we pass through.

Stayed: June 2016, traveled with family