My husband and I stayed at the Inn for my Birthday in March 2013. We made last minute reservations, so the best rooms had already been taken. I was disappointed that we wouldn't be in one of the rooms with a hot tub. :( We arrived just around 9pm on Friday night and Nora welcomed us warmly. After a quick tour of the common areas and some tips about our room we were left to settle in. My disappointment about not having a hot tub was nearly washed away by the coziness of the Garden Hideaway. The bathroom was large and had a good shower. I appreciated the arrangement of organic and green soaps and shampoos. After a good night's sleep we enjoyed a bountiful breakfast with the other guests. Pete and Nora were very friendly and considerate. They provided us with tips about the area, offered us snowshoes to trek through the property, showed interest in our lives, and made the 2 night stay very comfortable. We plan to stay there again!
- Rooms heated by gas stove
- Plentiful hot water (I took several long and hot showers)
- Green products (toiletries, coffee, organic food)
- Expansive Property with walking trails, gardens, streams
- As you travel there are signs that direct you to the Inn
- Mini fridge in common area with soda and bottled water
- Kitchenette in common area with large fridge to store your own food, wine, etc.
- Coffee Buffet 24/7 with Keurig and selection of K-cups
- Option to rent single room or one of 2 cabins
- Delicious Breakfasts served at 9am upstairs (just ask about food restrictions, allergies, they are very considerate and helpful!)
- WiFi is available, but it is pretty shaky, even inside the main house
- Common area is pretty small: One table with 3-4 chairs, 2 rocking chairs near TV, and coffee buffet are all squeezed into one the entrance area.
- Gas stove in the room is controlled by thermostat, so I woke up every time it kicked on to heat the room in the night. :(
- The Inn is located in the middle of the Driftless (read very hilly) area of SW Wisconsin. Therefore, most of the places you will want to go for sightseeing will be a bit of a drive (40-60 mins).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Inn is situated on 160 rural acres in Soldiers Grove, a sleepy village located on the Kickapoo River in southwest Wisconsin. The Inn is about a one hour south of La Crosse, Wisconsin and 35 minutes northeast of Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. Located in the main inn are three deluxe bedrooms, each with private baths. The Homestead Suites features four guest rooms or can be rented as an entire facility. ... more less