Soulitude in the Himalayas
OYO 4756 Hotel Apple Inn(Bhowali)(Great Value!)
$85
$44
$148
  • Breakfast included
$61
Aamod at Bhimtal(Bhimtal)(Great Value!)
$87
  • Restaurant
$148
$143
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Green Wood(Bhimtal)(Great Value!)
$38
$37
Hotels.com
All reviewsriverside propertythe main housemr prithvisamosashome away from homeprivate decknanda devitrue to its namebed warmersnook and cornerbreathtaking viewsknick knackspersonal touchthe property managersnow cladheaven on earthboutique hotel
Reviewed June 30, 2011

All you skeptics of "just another holiday in the hills" need to change your mind! Soulitude at Gagar in Ramgarh gives you an experience one can never have enough of! The very large rooms with huge windows over looking the snow-capped Panchachuli range are a sheer delight. The wonder at the views is followed up with excitement at seeing lush green hills covered with unimaginably thick forests.

Soulitude's own garden is a treat. The joy of plucking a fresh ripe Plum and Peach for yourself had become things of the past. Here you can relive that wonderful experience. The staff is trained to be efficient without being obtrusive. No one disturbs you - there is an air of quiet efficiency, excellent living room ambiance, topped with the amazing food. Kids are happy and grown ups are satisfied!! There are plenty of opportunities for quiet walks, excellent nature trails, photography and to catch up on quiet reading.

All in all the Holiday is not what one can describe but strongly recommended to experience. My family and I have gone back every year for the last 5-6 years or so, and each time we leave with an aching heart, for more!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MenkkaEndlaw
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We had plans to stay in Soulitude for 5 days but cut it short to two and that too because we had paid an advance equivalent to 2 nights. We were given a room below the main dining area by the staff on our arrival. It was a small room with no place for an extra bed for our son. We saw that the rest of the hotel was totally empty but despite our repeated request to change our room to one of the bigger ones, nothing was done. On speaking to Manish, he told us that he was expecting some VIPs two days later so the rooms needed to be prepared. However, even though we checked out at 11 after two nights, there was no sign of any other guest.

The staff was totally disinterested and unmotivated. They were more like zombies doing a role, very unllike a staff at a holiday destination. There were spider webs on the tea cups of our bed tea. On pointing out, no apology was offered by the staff.

Our friends who visited this place a week before us highly recommended it. We realised that must be because the owners were also staying there at that time and they came though some contact.

If I have to give the devil its due then I would say, that the place has excellent views of the snow capped mountains and decent home cooked food. There is not much ground to move around and certainly noisy. We had truck sounds at 6 in the morning. Other than that make sure that you know the owner or book through a good contact or that you are a VIP to get good service. Many better options out there.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank whentheshipcomesin
ChandraManish, Owner at Soulitude in the Himalayas, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

At Soulitude, each room is individually decorated and priced and most guests book specific rooms. While we make best efforts to accept requests for changing pre-selected rooms upon arrival, this is subject to availability. Clearly, rooms that are specifically booked by other guests cannot be offered irrespective of the pressure that may be applied on the staff. Guests who consider themselves “VIP” are not allowed to over-ride the prior reservations made by other guests.

Guests are always informed at the time of booking if the selected room is not large enough to accommodate extra beds, if it is indicated that children will accompany the parents.

Soulitude prides itself in providing a very personalized service to its guests. At the same time, it is entirely possible and understandable if the staff does not go out of their way to provide the extra personal touch under intimidation or other adverse circumstances. However, the staff maintains a professional level of service at all times.

Soulitude reserves the right of admission and has an active screening policy while accepting guests. This is mainly to ensure that only those guests are accepted that are seeking an experience akin to the one Soulitude can provide. In genuine situations, Soulitude may consider a refund of advance payments, when requested, if such guests prefer to leave prematurely.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

This was our second trip to Soulitude and we are sure that many more will follow. What stands out about Soulitude is that it’s not just a fantastic resort to holiday in but that it actually makes you feel that you are staying at home. The place has been lovingly conceptualized and painstakingly executed by Manish Chandra. The rooms afford you breathtaking views of the imposing Himalayas and the sight of the beams of the rising sun bathing the imposing Nanda Devi peak in pink and gold is an unforgettable one. Manish himself is hospitality personified and we were really fortunate to be staying at Soulitude at the same time as he was down there with his warm and affectionate family who went out of their way to make us feel at home. We were served with mouth-watering delicacies prepared by Shyam Singh (from vegetables grown at Manish’s farm) and our every need was thoughtfully taken care of by Dinesh. To burn the calories piled up during meal times, there are a number of walks/treks close by. I would definitely recommend the one to Tagore’s summer house. One should definitely make a visit to Manish’s farm house which is built on the banks of a gushing river and experience living in a rustic setting in the lap of nature. Soulitude is a comfortable driving distance from Delhi and also very well connected by overnight train from Delhi to Kathgodam followed by an hour’s cab ride. Last but not the least, there is no “best time” or “best season” to visit Soulitude – it can be enjoyed in different ways in both summer and winter.

Room Tip: The room on the top floor
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank anjali_pradhangupta
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I've spent my every summer of my childhood in the mountains. And i mean EVERY summer. So I have a reasonably decent idea of what it's like. Crisp smell of pine in the air, lush greenery, mall road walks dodging tourist traffic, quaint tiny bedrooms in cottages, hot water in buckets, cold white tile bathrooms with a black seat on the WC.. Basically great views with Spartan living. My holidays at Soulitude changed everything. And I am saying "holidays" because ever since I first stayed there in may 2007 .. I have been back every single year with my kids, friends and family. And the reason I haven't written a review yet is because in a perverse way, I'd like it to remain untouched and untainted by loud, noisy brash tourists.

Soulitude has been our only truly luxurious experience in the mountains. It has all the elements that make you feel pampered and special without the boring anonymity and uniformity that comes with a hotel. My husband and my kids like to pretend that it's our own mountain villa.. The one we bought from Brad Pitt after we won the lottery!!!
The property itself is breathtaking, tucked and sprawled across the steep side of a hill, with the most amazing views of the panchachuli range. The decks, the quaint wooden benches nestled under fruit trees (where you can sit with your book and their amazing coffee all day long while the kids run around the orchards), the little birdie tap, the herb gardens, thoughtful little nooks and crannys -all total up to a dream holiday. You literally have to push
yourself into stepping out for some exercise ( and there are many little fun walks and tough uphill exciting ones starting from near soulitude itself) .
The rooms are completely gorgeous.. all different shapes and sizes and priced accordingly. You can pick one that suits the size of your family.. Each room has a different decor, but all of them have a cheerful vibe with funky wall colors.. The bathrooms are super cute.. Works of art if you compare them to standardised hotel bathrooms!! The staff goes out of it's way to see that you are comfortable.. Last winter.. On a freezing night, i climbed into bed .. All ready for the numbing shock of a cold duvet... Imagine my delight at finding it pre warmed for me not only by an electric bed warmer but also an old fashioned hot water bottle placed near my toes.. Love love loved it!!!! Little things like the specialized aroma therapy soaps that you can carry back home, the snack and tea basket that welcomes you, the customized knicks knacks in every room collected from all around the world by Manish & Ratna (the owners) all add up to a very special experience.
The food is very varied and wholesome. Delightful yet homely.. The chef is very good and makes his own pasta which is quite unexpected in any hill holiday. And if you are really really lucky and the owners are there on a visit.. Manish's little daughter Ana will bake a batch of her divine gooey chocolate brownies..
A visit to soulitude by the river is a MUST to experience village living.. Its an amazing trek followed by lunch in a cottage by the river. Freshly plucked vegetables cooked by pooran, their cook ... while you sit by the rock pool thinking you are leonardo di caprio in 'The Beach'. If you have time, I recommend staying there for a night or two to experience the sounds of silence.
I could go on about how much we love going to Ramgarh and staying at Soulitude.. My kids never tire of it.. It puts a spring in my step everytime I think of it. Not recommended for tourists looking for shops, horse rides, hi energy excitement or a cheap brush with luxury. It's very private and you can meet very eclectic guests.. The kind you keep in touch with after the holiday too!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MiniMathur
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We planned a three night stay at the Soulitude in the last week of May. Since it was meant to be a relaxing break and we had kids along, we did not plan much apart from the stay at Soultude.
Post a long drive from Delhi, the destination is a reward.

Property: The whole place, infact each square inch of it has been planned, built and maitained with a lot of thought, planning and above all passion. The wooden floors, wooden slant ceilings, wrought iron stoves, clear glass skylights are all class apart.

Staff: The staff at the property is very well trained and very helpful and cheerful. The chef turned out very good fare during the entire stay.

A day at the Soulitide by the riverside is recommended.

Room Tip: The bigger rooms - Quitude and Bliss are great
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family