“Not worth the hype” 2 of 5 bubbles

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Not worth the hype”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Door County Bakery's Corsica bread was recommended during our Door County Trolley Tour, so we had to check out what all the fuss was about. Save yourselves the trip, it's not that great. It was just soggy, oily bread. The bakery was extremely overpriced, so we left without buying anything. Save your time and money, keep driving past this bakery.

Visited August 2013

Green Bay, Wisconsin
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Not Good!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Very disappointed in our lunch at Door County Bakery! We will not be going back! There are so many good places to go in Door County! We waited 45 minutes for a sandwich and when brought to our table the order was wrong, there were only 2 of us! We have been there several times and always thought of it as a pleasant experience, not the same!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank GrammaH
Marengo, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stopped here a second time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I loved all the bakery good available and I wasn't disappointed with anything I left with. The second visit we had breakfast, although we had to wait longer then I expected because we were the only ones dining, the food was very good. I had a quiche that was on special and I devoured the entire thing. It was home made and I've never had one so good. My boyfriend got the cheese blitz and loved them, and especially loved the sausage it was served with. I did think it was a bit overpriced, but with how good their cookies and baked goods our, and how good breakfast was, I would pay to eat it all again. They have a white chocolate chunk cookie that has either cherries or raspberries in it, honestly I can't remember, but it was amazing I wish I came home with a few more.

Visited May 2013
Sister Bay, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not as good as it used to be...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I remember going here with my mom to pick up baked goods before hitting the beach with the kids, they had great tasting, fresh items for an OK price.

Last august (2012) we stopped in to pick up a few of our favorite items.
The prices had gone up, but since we are only in Door County once a year we still chose to buy on account of tradition.
Everything was very stale except for the Corsica loaf, (which I'm guessing is only because its so popular?) This was hugely disappointing since this has been a family tradition since the kids were little. Afterward we spoke with friends that have a cottage near us and sadly, they had similar experiences recently.
I'm afraid that for the price things are there now I'm not willing to take a chance on them again!

Some members of the staff are nice, competent and helpful but others are downright rude.

Try another place in Sister Bay thats actually worth it, such as Base Camp or Drink Coffee for baked goods.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Katy1011
Chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Going downhill?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Used to eagerly buy bakery goods here after the long weekly drive to our cottage. Overpriced but the quality of ingredients was unsurpassed. French bread, French rolls, peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies, specialty Corsica breadsticks, and fruit-filled kolaches. All delicious. Gobbled them up before we arrived in our driveway. Unfortunately last spring we were sold two stale cherry-cheese danish sweet rolls at $4.75 each and four stale cookies at $2.25 each when we had relatives visiting. What a disappointment. Gave the bakery another try last fall and we got fresh bread but stale cookies again. Advertising for this place on WGN radio in Chicago over the years brought in droves of customers. What happened? Why the stale items? Why not sell them as day-old like they used to? Why sell them to unsuspecting customers as first-rate? We are not all one-time-only tourists. Now we go to Drink Coffee for scrumtious cookies, Base Camp for muffins and coffeecake (fabulous cinnamon crunch coffeecake), and hit the Saturday morning Farmer's Market in Sturgeon Bay for a wide variety of freshly milled, handmade breads from Algoma. Wish Door County Bakery would return to consistency and ethical selling practices.
As to bakery clerks there, they are competent and helpful but sometimes frazzled because they are understaffed.

Visited October 2012