“Good Food, Kitschy Fun!”

Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant & Butik
Ranked #5 of 35 Restaurants in Sister Bay
Cuisines: Swedish
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Description: Door County, Wisconsin's most well-known restaurant, established in 1949. From May through October, look for the live goats on the roof, on top of an authentic Swedish log building. Inside, there's a traditional Swedish atmosphere and Scandinavian food specialties, all served by waitresses in dirndls. After dining, visit Al Johnson's Butik, featuring a beautiful selection of Scandinavian products, including clogs, Swedish linens, books, clothing, jewelry, decorative items, books and housewares. Open May - October, 6 AM - 8 PM, And November - April, 7 AM - 3 PM.
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
“Good Food, Kitschy Fun!”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We had just rolled into town and picked Al Johnson's on a whim. It's hard not to smile here with the servers dressed in traditional outfits and the grass on the roof. Ordered the swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes. Came with soup, picked the broccoli cheese. Soup was good, nothing special but the meatballs were delicious! The gravy was perfect. It came with green beans that were cooked with red peppers and purple cabbage. I couldn't get enough! My husband had the eggs with swedish meatballs, his first time and loved them. Our server was so nice, overheard her tell the next table that her mom worked there when she was her age. Love it's long tradition! Fun place for all ages.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Jhart09

• Thai first
“Worth Going To”
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

We went for breakfast and it's always busy, the swedish pancakes are good but not as good as Stockholm Inns in Rockford. We will always come back it's a fun place.

1 Thank BigTlk
“A Favorite Family Tradition”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

My family and I have been going to Al Johnson's since we first started going to door county back in 1999 when my adult children were under 10 and my two younger preteens weren't even around yet! Being known for their swedish pancakes with lingonberry sauce, and the goats on the roof! (Yes the goats really are on the roof, they are real, and so are the pancakes!)
Its a very cute place and the wait staff are dressed in traditional attire which adds to the charm. The pancakes which they are known for are excellent as well as the sweddish meatballs. The prices are also very reasonable. The only draw back is, its a very popular and well known place and the wait was 2 hours! But, if you know this going into it, you can put your name down and do a little shopping as there are plenty of stores along the main street by the restuarant. They also have their own nice gift shop which has souviner plush goats for the kids. The very first time we visited my oldest son, who was 4, insisted on taking a plush goat. He is now 19 and brought "Goatie" back with him this trip and put him on our table. This did not escape our waitresses eye and she had to ask. My son enthusiatically shared his story. Another great memory!

1 Thank whatever4andnomore
Elmhurst, IL
“That goat place...”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Everyone who drives along Door County sees the goats. The service is friendly and quick, though it wasn't very crowded when we were in for dinner on a Monday night in early June. The food is alright. I had the Swedish meatballs, which are in a darker, heavier, gravy than I usually associate with Swedish meatballs. But not being Swedish myself, maybe my expectations are totally off. Regardless, the meatballs are still fine. My wife had the herring, which was good. There is a kids menu, which my 6 year old ate happily from. At this point, the Johnsons also has a long history to go along with the good food and goats on the roof. Worth a stop...maybe not every time in Door County, but we will go back.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank bdf
Seymour
“Swedish Breakfast and Goats”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We loved Al Johnsons!!! The food was great, the swedish feel could be seen in the decorations and the uniforms of the staff. The Butik was cute to look through and find some fun treasures in as we waited, but the down side was that the dining area was a little tight and a little loud, so if you desire a quiet atmosphere I would recommend somewhere else, but if you want a glimpse into the past this is the right place for you!

1 Thank Crystal W