“Great Food”

Ranked #8 of 37 Restaurants in Sister Bay
Cuisines: Swedish
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Door County, Wisconsin's most well-known restaurant, established in 1949. From May through October, look for the live goats on the roof, on top of an authentic Swedish log building. Inside, there's a traditional Swedish atmosphere and Scandinavian food specialties, all served by waitresses in dirndls. After dining, visit Al Johnson's Butik, featuring a beautiful selection of Scandinavian products, including clogs, Swedish linens, books, clothing, jewelry, decorative items, books and housewares. Open May - October, 6 AM - 8 PM, And November - April, 7 AM - 3 PM.
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised that the food at this "touristy" restaurant was really good. I had the grilled roast beef cheddar sandwich, while my husband had the Swedish meatball sandwich. Others in our group had the pancakes and the grilled cheese sandwich. The service was efficient and quick. For dessert we tired the cherry bread pudding which was incredible! It's also fun to see the goats on the roof and look through the gift shop. I definitely recommend this place.

1  Thank Rebecca L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,627)

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Al Johnson's came highly recommended to us but I could not have been more disappointed. The only thing that saved this place for me was the goats on the roof, the cute Swedish store, and the attire. I ordered the pancakes which were awesome but we're hardly filling and overpriced. The pancakes, syrup, and potatoes are the only good things we got at our meal. My boyfriend didn't like his bacon, neither of us enjoyed the meatballs, the pancake meal came with over medium eggs but no toast, the potatoes were seasoned well but seemed a little over cooked to me. I would definitely recommend checking out the goats and the store but save your money for a better meal elsewhere!

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We stopped for lunch. Only had to wait five minutes. The menu has pretty good choices. I would try the restaurant again. The best part of the experience were the goats on the roof.

1  Thank sunshinesandy32
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Swedish pancakes are okay, if that's what you want. Restaurant is ancient and could use an update. Buses of tourists are dropped off daily for lunch drawn, I guess, by the goats grazing on the roof. Certainly not one of my favorite restaurants.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We love Swedish pancakes from Al Johnson. They are the best. We could go there for breakfast, lunch or dinner and never get tired of selection. The only think I would complain, is big lines. But I guess, it would tell you how good the restaurant really is.

1  Thank Dmitry G