“Great breakfast and goats!”

Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant & Butik
Ranked #5 of 37 Restaurants in Sister Bay
Cuisines: Swedish
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Description: Door County, Wisconsin's most well-known restaurant, established in 1949. From May through October, look for the live goats on the roof, on top of an authentic Swedish log building. Inside, there's a traditional Swedish atmosphere and Scandinavian food specialties, all served by waitresses in dirndls. After dining, visit Al Johnson's Butik, featuring a beautiful selection of Scandinavian products, including clogs, Swedish linens, books, clothing, jewelry, decorative items, books and housewares. Open May - October, 6 AM - 8 PM, And November - April, 7 AM - 3 PM.
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Swedish pancakes special and American fries are a must have every time I'm in Door co. The goats on the roof are great fun for the kids...and adults too.

1  Thank tripsrfu
There are newer reviews for Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant & Butik

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We were there during off season, so it was too cold and snowy to have the goats on the roof, but we'll definitely be back to see that sometime! Both had the Swedish Meatballs Dinner, which was very good, though I wasn't sure that the meatballs were in fact home made, they seemed to be frozen. They were fine, just seemed "too perfectly formed" to be homemade. The sauce and potatoes though were awesome, and the veggies were really good too! I had the beet salad which I really liked and my wife had the chicken noodle soup which was clearly home made and really tasty as well! Absolutely would return there!

1  Thank Jim F
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We love to eat out and try new places so if you want great food then Al Johnson's is the place to eat. I had the best tasting pork chop I have ever had at Al's. And believe me I am a pork chop expert. This restaurant is a great experience for kids and adults alike.

1  Thank Lewis T
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I insisted we go here for breakfast, I mean there are goats and Swedish pancakes. How can you not. We had to wait FOREVER. Wecould have seen a lot more of Door County in that time, and still visited the cute goats and gift shop. The food was fine, the staff wonderful for all the people they were serving. Ifyou still want to go just resolv eyourself to slowing down and getting comfortable. I would not do it twice.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

If you’re not from the peninsula, you wouldn’t know to look at it that this restaurant actually has some of the greatest food in town. The restaurant contains swedish food (and waitress attire). From the lingdonberry jelly (sort of a sweet cranberry jam) to the lunch and dinner menu, we were happily surprised at the quality of the food. Anyone who enjoys the typical American food will also be pleased with this menu. Lingonberry jam and bread come with meals and is definitely worth a try.

It also has a great “goat cam” that you can access anywhere, anytime. The goats literally graze on the roof! Small gift shop also cute to browse when you walk in/pay your tab.

1  Thank Christina B