“Unique place, good food”

Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant & Butik
Ranked #5 of 37 Restaurants in Sister Bay
Cuisines: Swedish
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Door County, Wisconsin's most well-known restaurant, established in 1949. From May through October, look for the live goats on the roof, on top of an authentic Swedish log building. Inside, there's a traditional Swedish atmosphere and Scandinavian food specialties, all served by waitresses in dirndls. After dining, visit Al Johnson's Butik, featuring a beautiful selection of Scandinavian products, including clogs, Swedish linens, books, clothing, jewelry, decorative items, books and housewares. Open May - October, 6 AM - 8 PM, And November - April, 7 AM - 3 PM.
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stopped here while touring Door County for the fall colors. Although the décor (and music) hasn't changed for decades, they still have good food and friendly staff.

We arrived before 5:00 PM so we had no problem being seated in the main dining room with a good view. Waitperson was very nice (tried not to make any judgments by the tattoos on her arms), but she was very friendly, attentive and answered our questions about the menu. My wife ordered a salad while I opted for the tomato basil soup. Her salad was so-so, and my soup was lukewarm, but the bread, ligionberry (sp?) preserves and assortment of crackers to spread them on was very tasty. Wife ordered a filet steak while I had 2 pork chops. Main course was excellent, done to order and very good flavor. No room for dessert and the price was reasonable.

If you're a first timer to Door County, at least stop by and take in the view of the goats grazing on the sod roof of the restaurant. If you've eaten there before, it really hasn't changed in the last 30+ years.

1  Thank Carl H
There are newer reviews for Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant & Butik

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a busy place, and we went into it knowing it was going to be very touristy/kitschy. We had breakfast here on a beautiful autumn day. I had the biscuits and gravy. They were just okay. Not enough gravy and a bit too salty. My husband had the Swedish pancakes with lingonberries, which were good, and the meatballs, which weren't. I don't know what's in the meatballs, but they tasted sort of livery. We asked if they make them there, to which they said yes, but I have my doubts. They taste and look like they come out of a package. The goats are fun, and we can now say we've "done" Al Johnson's, but I doubt we would return on another trip to Door Co.

1  Thank Amdanbo
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We went only for dessert, were not disappointed at all !! Great Choices, and the waitresses were friendly and helpful.

1  Thank scrappermom45
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I've been visiting Door County for years, but just tried Al Johnson's this visit. The lines had been too long every other visit. We stopped in for dinner one night and I wasn't impressed. The food was mediocre. We tried a couple of days later for breakfast, and I still wasn't impressed. The food was still a disappointment and on a busy weekend morning, the service wasn't the best either. Not sure what all the fuss is about. The gift shop however, was very nice and I did find some nice souvenirs for the kids.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Swedish pancakes were outstanding! We went back another day for dinner and split the fried Chicken! Crispiest fried chicken we have ever eaten! Wonderful! And splitting was perfect. You get 4 pieces, most people were taking it home. Veggies and mashed potatoes also very very good. Great service! We missed the goats on the roof as it was raining! Must go back to see!!