“Mmmm..meatballs!”

Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant & Butik
Ranked #5 of 35 Restaurants in Sister Bay
Cuisines: American, European, Swedish, Scandinavian, Norwegian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Door County, Wisconsin's most well-known restaurant, established in 1949. From May through October, look for the live goats on the roof, on top of an authentic Swedish log building. Inside, there's a traditional Swedish atmosphere and Scandinavian food specialties, all served by waitresses in dirndls. After dining, visit Al Johnson's Butik, featuring a beautiful selection of Scandinavian products, including clogs, Swedish linens, books, clothing, jewelry, decorative items, books and housewares. Open May - October, 6 AM - 8 PM, And November - April, 7 AM - 3 PM.
Bloomington, Minnesota
“Mmmm..meatballs!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I've been to Al Johnson's several years ago and my sister wanted to return again to have the Swedish meatballs. I ended up having the breakfast platter with Swedish pancakes and meatballs as my meat choice and also asked for a side order of stuffing since I noticed it on the turkey sandwich description and I LOVE stuffing!! I had never had Swedish pancakes before and only ordered it after seeing someone else have it while waiting for the server. All I can say is that the pancakes are more like folded crepes than the pancakes I'm used to and they were Delicious!! Along with the fantastic meatballs and that side of delectable stuffing I was pretty happy we stopped for lunch! The restaurant isn't much to write home about with decor in the dining room, and the tables are pretty crammed in there that's for sure. I don't know how the servers wedge themselves through there, but they are professionals and make it look easy although I'd be pretty frustrated if it was me. Anyway...check it out especially if you are in the mood for some great comfort food :)

1 Thank Grandgirl

• Thai first
Mukwonago, WI
“Great food, a fun landmark!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The swedish pancakes are delicious. The service was great. Don't be fooled by the lines of people waiting, it moves quickly. I also love the quaint gift shop...and of course the goats on the roof! We went on a Sunday morning and they had live entertainment on the porch, a nice treat. Love this place, definitely worth the stop :)

1 Thank Mary W
vegasvisits
“Great Experience”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We all enjoyed our meals here on 2 separate occasions. The Swedish pancakes are light and flavorful. Eggs fresh a perfectly cooked in each of the ways we ordered. My husband ordered Swedish Meatballs and shared them with the rest of the group Delicious! Excellent gift shop loaded with shoes, clothes, jewelry, children’s clothes and toys, all kinds of goods. Don’t forget to check for the live Goats on the roof. Great place don’t miss it when you are in the area.

1 Thank vegasvisits
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Came for the goats...”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Like many patrons, I was intrigued by the goats. In fact, we have stopped to look that goats several times before and then kept traveling up the peninsula. My husband had been told by his coworker that we needed to stop and eat here. We came on a fall Friday evening...being a Friday, we needed to follow Wisconsin tradition and enjoy some Friday fish. Both my husband and I had one of the day's specials; a white fish sandwich and a bowl clam chowder. It wasn't the best fish sandwich I've ever had (that would be Pepe's in Key West.), but it was quite tasty. I would definitely like to come back to try some of their traditional Swedish fare. May be next time! Also, my husband and I thought that the traditional Swedish outfits were a nice touch.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank nonnalita
Memphis, Tennessee
“The Goats Alone Are Worth It”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is a long standing tourist destination in Door County. The uniqueness of the place alone makes it worth the trip. Where else can you eat with four goats on the roof.

I had a fresh white fish sandwich which was good but not what I expected. I had thought fresh white fish from Lake Michigan would have been very mild flavored fish. My was not. I had never had it before so I can not judge.

My wife had Swedish Pancakes with blue berries and it was quite good.

1 Thank GilB867