“Wonderful little place in Door County”
Review of Open Hearth Lodge

Open Hearth Lodge
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Sister Bay
Neenah, Wisconsin
“Wonderful little place in Door County”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Being the city boy that I am, I had massive expectations for the #1 hotel on Trip Advisor in Sister Bay, WI. It was certainly not anything that I had been expecting, but once I adjusted my expectations to where I was, I realized how nice of a place this really is. Tucked away in Sister Bay, WI, right across from the golf course, and just up the road from Pirate's Cove mini-golf, was this hotel. The gentleman at the front desk when we checked in was very nice when he handed us our keys to the room so we could head off to dinner. We did not check out the pool/hot tub, but it looked like a pleasant place to relax. I REALLY liked the fact that a kids play area plus a yard/chairs in the back to hang out was available. If we had been staying in a group or for longer, I certainly would have made use of this - if you are looking for a true Wisconsin getaway, this is the type of place you are looking for.

The room itself was very spacious. It included a coffee maker, iron and ironing board, mini-fridge, and flat-screen tube TV. I was extremely unhappy with the TV due to my sensitive hearing (I can hear those ultra-high tones some old TVs emit), but was okay with it since it was just for the night. The bathroom was a little small, but the vanity area was quite nice. The king size bed was both spacious and comfortable. Being that we were in Door County during the summer, A/C nor heat were needed, and a simple window crack sufficed. It was all of the sounds of camping in the woods with the comfort of a king bed with sufficient pillows.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an authentic city getaway. If you like quiet and calm, this is the place for you. The walls were a bit thin so we heard our neighbors a few times, but it wasn't anything to complain about. The backyard was a great addition. I would bring my children here, if I had any to bring. If I ever stay in Sister Bay again, I would certainly consider this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eddie D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 13, 2014

upon placing our reservation last year, I was guided by the hotel owner, via several emails, which I have saved to this date, to a specific room, the king whirlpool. this was because we were staying with a wedding party, and my sisters had booked the large family 2 bedroom suite room and one of the 2 king whirlpool rooms was directly next door to this room. the idea of this was perfect, my husband and I could have our own room, yet directly next door to my sisters, one of whom I see once, maybe twice a year, due to her living in California and us un Wisconsin. the photos on the website show what the king whirlpool suite is supposed to look like, though there are 2 rooms, only one picture of what you are to assume you will get.
upon check-in today, we were directed to a room, but once getting into the room, my husband and I realize this is not what we thought we paid for. we checked witht he hotel owner. she stated there are 2 king whirl pool rooms, only one of which looks like the picture and the other is a whirlpool bath tub in the bathroom, which is not photographed on the website. the bride and groom of our party wanted the room we were under the impression we were going to recieve, again as stated in previous email from the owner, which of course, they are the bride and groom, they should have the nicer whirlpool room, but i am being quoted a only 10% discount for the confusion/ inconvenience. to me this is a bit of false advertising. not only were we told specifically we would be right next door to my sisters if we decided to take the whirlpool suite, which we did...we are not...we are at the opposite end of the lodge. there are 2 of these king whirlpool suites...technically, it seems to me there is one, and several regular rooms with whirlpool tubs in the bathroom. the room my sisters have for instance has a whirlpool tub.......??? please beware with this hotel / lodge, that you are getting what you are paying for.......................

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Ann M
OHLodge, Owner at Open Hearth Lodge, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Ann - We are sorry you were disappointed in your room. The room is smaller but has all the amenities of the other Whirlpool Room, the refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, flat screen TV, DVD player. I don't know if you reviewed your receipt but you were only charged the amount of a Regular room, not the rate of $129 for the Whirlpool room, per our second discussion about this. The whole building was reserved for wedding guests. The wedding was here on the grounds, so
we felt the wishes of the Bride and Groom should be honored, for the room assignments., It was their Special event. We hope enjoyed the wedding and the rest of your Door County visit.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect for my visit to Door County last weekend. It was Memorial Day weekend and I figured all the good places may already be reserved. I was so fortunate to find Open Hearth Lodge! The prices were very reasonable, the room was cheery (love the bright striped cotton blanket on the beds!) and clean. The rooms are not modern (hey, what do you expect!?) but I believe the owners spend money in all the right places. Nice cotton sheets. Cotton towels in good shape.

Nora (owner) checked us in. She was kind and friendly. Later, I saw her cleaning a hallway with her toddler grand-daughter. A true family-owned and operated hotel!

I was very pleased to be able to bring my dog, and there was plenty of space for us to walk around the grounds. There are poop-bags near the back door, and the grounds were very clean.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Betsy R
Briggsville, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This hotel was very clean. The staff were friendly, and helpful. Many updates. Beautiful view for the continental breakfast. The selection wasn't huge, but did the trick for a busy stay in Door County. Will definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: The Evergreen Suite is very roomy, and has two bathrooms!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2014

My husband and I needed to take a long weekend as a break from the unrelenting Wisconsin winter this year that kept us in the house day and night. The Open Hearth Lodge was a relaxing and welcoming place that met all our needs. We took our dog with us and they were very accommodating, the staff always friendly and making recommendations for restaurants, things to do in the winter, etc. Would like to return in the summer when there are more things to do, but it was a great, warm place to get away.

Room Tip: If you bring a pet, your room choices are pretty limited as they only have 1 or 2 rooms (double bed...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Elmhurst, Illinois
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We came for a weekend getaway at the end of April - right before Door County's rush season. It was easy to get the room we wanted, for the less expensive off season rate. Everything was lovely. Very clean, staff was very friendly, accommodations were lovely. There is a pool and hot tub that we ran out of time before we could enjoy, but looked very inviting. There's a light continental breakfast in the morning, which was honestly one of the selling points when I was comparing hotels before I booked this one.

The room we booked has a king sized bed, a jacuzzi tub, a tv with cable and a DVD player, and a small fireplace. It was perfect. Everything worked, everything was clean, housekeeping was attentive. There are snacks and drinks available in the lobby if needed. We will definitely come back again, we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RedHeadedGirl26
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I generally only write reviews for one of two reasons, a really bad experience or a really great experience. I was blown away by the Open Hearth Lodge in Sister Bay, WI. The website looked good and the prices were fantastic, so we decided to stay here for the weekend. The room was modern, super clean, comfortable, and had everything we needed for the weekend stay. The staff and owners were extremely kind and helpful, we felt like friends, not just guests. Our daughter loved the pool area and they even had some pool toys for kids. Overall, this was the best experience we've ever had away from home, we will be back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
#12 of 17 in Sister Bay
The Ashbrooke
The Ashbrooke
#1 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Open Hearth Lodge? Share your experiences!