“Wish we could have stayed longer.”

Coachlite Inn of Sister Bay
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Sister Bay
Reviewed August 23, 2011

The moment we got on the grounds my family felt the sense of peace in the surroundings. We had a long road trip to our destination and the kids hopped out of the car and walked around the fish pond, swung in the swing and explored; immediately happy. The check in time was quick and thorough, which is exactly what I needed and the front desk person was very kind and helpful. The room was clean, sweet and unique, not like the cookie cutter space of most hotels. I have a family of 6 and we had plenty of space to hang out and sleep. My daughter said it was the best sleep she had on our trip. I typically notice the "sound proofing" of a space as we have a time share and travel alot to resorts. This room was so quite and I did not have to dread having my kids "walk around" and make noise or hear others. It was so quiet. The owners suggested some great places for us to eat and shop and knew the area well. I would come here again in a heart beat and will suggest to all my friends. The next time however, I will stay longer.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Travelers629

Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights. The new owners are very helpful and pleasant. The rooms are small - with the refrigerator and microwave stacked on top of the dresser, so that space if limited for suitcases. The room decor feels dated, and if you need the air conditioner, it is right beside the bed which makes it very uncomfortable to have the cool air blowing right on you. Hopefully, the new owners can figure out how to reconfigure the rooms and also update them.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank floridagal59
Reviewed August 9, 2011

As soon as you turn off the highway into the property you are automatically transformed into another world. Beautiful manicured grounds, quiet and secluded, more than expected. Our king size room had plenty of space and a very comfortable bed. After a full day of sightseeing the hot tub was an absolute delight. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chuck M
Reviewed August 6, 2011

All of the staff were knowledgeable of the surrounding area(s). Their insights and helpful answers to any questions were on target. A great setting and a great place to stay

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank dawinter13
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I spent only one night here, whilst most guests are probably spending longer. The setting in the woods is very nice, the hotel itself (or, should I say, the building in which was my room) shows its age. The room is well appointed, with a small refrigerator and a microwave, and a tired air conditioning unit. I was told that wi-fi is limited to the lobby area, but as my room was close to the lobby I received a weak but useable signal. Breakfast is light-continental, with sugary danish and corn flakes only. The price seemed high, but July is high season. Altogether a good if not great stop on the way to Washington Island.
(as an aside, the whole region is out of reach of AT&T cell phones).

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank mojave
Reviewed July 26, 2011

My husband & I have stayed at this establishment for 5 years now and I have never seen such filth! We checked in and being a long travel day had to go to the bathroom, upon shutting the door I saw behind it on the floor what appeared to be pubic hair! I was so grossed out and went to front desk and alerted the clerk, he came in with a paper towel and a bottle of I don't know what but tried wiping it up. After he left I went back in and was not satisfied so hubby and I went to the store & purchased clorox wipes and Lysol. The clerk came back with two candy bars and said he apologized and that in 15 years this was the 2nd complaint. again we have stayed there before with no real issues. But the smell of the room was offensive as well. Very musty and wet smelling. Beds seem really old and the bed skirts on both beds are to big and dingy. Just was not what we had come to love about this place! Very disappointing. Yes the grounds are lovely but the rooms are in need of an over haul!

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank MrsBReed07
coachliteinn, Owner at Coachlite Inn of Sister Bay, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

We are sorry that you were not pleased with your stay. If you have stayed here for five years, there must have been something that you liked. While we almost always have comments about the cleanliness of our Inn, we do try to take care of any issues that arise as quickly as possible which is what occurred in this instance. We felt we had resolved the situation within minutes of it being brought to our attention, and we are sorry you did not agree. While we also feel continuous updating is needed in order to stay successful. We began replacing all of the bedding last fall and are completing the few remaining rooms over the next 2 weeks. We have also added refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers, and hair dryers to all of the rooms in the past year. We have replaced several air conditioners and have added flat screen televisions to our suites and DVD players to our Deluxe Plus rooms, as well. We recently installed wireless HSIA which is now available throughout the property. We have also added cereal and milk to our breakfast and now serve Door County Coffee and Tea 24 hours a day. We also added additional seating on our newly lit patio and added tables and chairs in our lobby's breakfast area.

If you are reading this review in order to choose a place to stay, please read between the lines. The last bad review was written by a person who chose to leave for an Inn with a pool after they had checked in. If you check the reviewer, you will see that they wrote a review for the same night at another inn in Door County after they told us that the man's ex-wife had called them back from their honeymoon to watch his child. They were angry that they did not get money from us and used Trip Advisor for revenge. I don't believe that is right.

We are a family who run our business with care. We genuinely want to provide a great experience for travelers to our area. There are many nice inns here and lots to do. Please choose something that will fit your budget and your needs. We run a reasonably priced inn with beautiful rooms and grounds. We have many seating areas outdoors including a fire ring for camp fires. Our staff is very enthusiastic about helping our guests find the great places and things to do in the area. We are not a big-city, chain hotel. We are a quaint place to rest comfortably during your stay in one of the Midwest's most beautiful places.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

The grounds were well kept, the staff was friendly, and our room was clean and comfortably appointed. Since I'm a light sleeper I really appreciated the peace and quiet at the Coachlite. Not being overly familiar with the area we found the staff to be a great resource for things to do and places to eat. This is definitely someplace I would stay at again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Somerset Inn & Suites
Somerset Inn & Suites
#3 of 8 in Ephraim

Been to Coachlite Inn of Sister Bay? Share your experiences!