“Yum - but pricey”

Door County Bakery
Ranked #1 of 2 Bakeries in Sister Bay
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Don and Jean Thompson welcome you to their Door County Bakery. Located just south of Sister Bay, Wisconsin, we're more than a bakery...much more. The Door County Bakery is the home of the famous Corsica Loaf™. It’s a one-of-a-kind bread found only at the Door County Bakery. The Door County Bakery is also the place to enjoy breakfast and lunch.
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yum - but pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

On our last day in Door County over the Labor Day weekend, we decided to stop at Door County bakery for a couple of reasons. One, two of our party was from the Chicago area and they had heard many wonderful things about DCB. Two, it was located in the middle of where they stayed and where we camped. We tried a sample of the Corsica bread and my husband and I really liked it. We have not tried any other bakeries or their Corsica bread in the area so we don’t have anything to compare it too but we liked it.

We did end up sitting down for breakfast and while it was tasty, it was rather pricey. We ordered the breakfast Panini, a vegetarian quiche, and two eggs with fresh fruit and toast with cherry jam. I ate the breakfast Panini which is souffléd eggs, Wisconsin cheddar and Wisconsin bacon served on a crunchy bread of some sort. I thought it was very good and a generous portion. It came with some fresh fruit as well. Our server was a friendly older woman and we did not have any complaints about the service. The only downside was the party of 7 next to us that had a child in a high chair that they allowed to bang on the table and swat people with the menus.

Overall, I’m not sure we’d go out of our way to sit down and eat again if only for the prices. I could have easily split the Panini but they charge a $5 split plate charge (!!) and at $12 for the Panini, $17 would be highway robbery. But it was good food. So I’m torn. It was fun and kitschy to see the Spike O’Dell paper cup museum though.

• Visited September 2013

North Freedom, Wisconsin
“Not quite what we remembered”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stopped to have breakfast and pick up our favorite Corsica Bread. The counter was busy bustling. The waitress, and waiter along with the owner(?) seemed like it was the first day of business. Service was very friendly but disorganized. They were running out of coffee, and were making Americanos (which I love!) to keep up. The food was good. My Danish was a little sweet for my taste, but good. The Corsica bread was hot and tasty, but not the same as before. They had cut back on the oil, and made the bread taller so you couldn't get a good bite of the bottom, it was mostly plain bread. We'll go back, and hopefully things will by back in sync,

Visited August 2013
“Overpriced and inconsistent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I have been here many times for breakfast, lunch, or to pick up some bread or pastry. My husband and I have had the kolaches before but the last visit they were dry and/or stale. Their menu for breakfast is unique and their lunches are good. They have a small deli that has interesting selections. If you are looking for baked goods that are tasty and more reasonable, head to Seaquist Orchards in Ellison Bay.

Visited August 2013
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
“Great selection and always fresh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I really liked their homemade spice bars with a little bit of frosting on the top. They remind me of Christmas, with raisins. Delicious!!

Visited July 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Overpriced stale bakery-but they do have wine”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We love bakery, this shop was a disappointment. The topping on the rolls, Danish, and sweet rolls were good, but the pastry was dry or old on all three pieces we tried. The Corsica bread is OK if you like bread dripping in olive oil.
The workers told us to sit down and order from their extensive wine list & told us they even had the Cubs game on, we were from Chicago right? NO, we are not to Illinois- they cater to the Chicago crowd, I guess. With all the choices in Door Cty. I would not go here again-how can you sell stale dry bakery & stay in business- sell wine to out-of-state guests.

• Visited August 2013