“Disappointed”
Review of Door County Bakery

Door County Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Sister Bay
Description: Don and Jean Thompson welcome you to their Door County Bakery. Located just south of Sister Bay, Wisconsin, we're more than a bakery...much more. The Door County Bakery is the home of the famous Corsica Loaf™. It’s a one-of-a-kind bread found only at the Door County Bakery. The Door County Bakery is also the place to enjoy breakfast and lunch.
Reviewed July 24, 2012

While visiting Door County made a point to go to this bakery on a Thursday morning around 10am. Very busy place, very chaotic for the first time visitor at least. They had the "take a number" for service, I took one, but my number was never called---they were not using the numbers even though there were probably 10 people standing in front of the counter. Apparently, you just had to be aggressive and persevering if you wanted something. Next to the pastry case was a small counter where 2 people had plates of food. I didnt see a menu anywhere. I finally asked the man serving these two people and he handed me a menu without a word. Again, total lack of service or help of any kind. Several obvious newcomers came in the door, and were trying to figure out how to get service. As mentioned in an earlier review, there is a dining area through the deli, but you would never know without just wandering around on your own. We left without getting anything, it simply wasnt worth the hassle. One would think this business was brand new and hadnt quite figured out how to run it yet. I can only assume it is the lack of competition that keeps this place in business. We drove over to Sister Bay to Drink Coffee (coffee house) and got friendly, prompt service and good food.

2  Thank kct57
There are newer reviews for Door County Bakery

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Wonderful bakery, capuccino, and light fare restaurant. Atmosphere here is due in part to the owners and staff . Outside garden is very door county and the whole place is country peaceful.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Decided to try this bakery/deli/restaurant because they had a flamenco guitarist playing during the lunch hour. The lunch started off poorly when we entered and were not greeted by any staff with direction for seating. All we viewed was a counter and three small occupied tables in a cramped anteroom that also had a few outdoor tables visible from the entryroom. The day was very hot and muggy and so was this dining area. We sat at the only seating that was obviously available at the counter. After some minutes we were handed menus. Sandwiches ran 12 to 16 dollars, salads were 12 dollars. We ordered a main course Caesar salad and a pastrami panini. I thought the sandwich prices were high because they would be piled high with meats as deli shops generally do. No. They were large with a lot of bread but skimpy on meat and cheesel When we finished our lunch we had to wait until the server noticed we were finished and then waited again for our check. I decided to try some of their bakery goods but felt they were also exorbitantly priced with $2.50 per cookie and $5.00 for Danish. Did purchase a smallish loaf of sourdough bread, that when we ate some later we could not taste any sourdough flavor! Then we went into the back of the restaurant to the Deli and wine shop and lo and behold there was a large dining area with good air conditioning with no patrons. I asked the man behind the deli counter if we could have eaten there instead of the hot crowded entry room and he said, "Yes" ! I feel this place is strictly a tourist trap and the people running it obviously do not care about repeat business. We paid $35.00 for our lunch at the counter.

2  Thank peemsley
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Someone recommended this bakery/restaurant to us our first night in Baileys Harbor, so we decided to go there for breakfast the next day...and ended up back there every day during our visit to Door County. The baked goods were amazing. My low-carb lifestyle fell victim to to the wonderful aromas and buttery goodness of the pecan/cherry coffee cake, almond bear claws, cherry strudel, oatmeal raisin & peanut butter cookies, coconut macaroons and the special bread made with olive oil. The owners homemade chopped cherry jam was extraordinary...we bought several jars to take home with us. Their lunch menu and meals were equally tempting and delicious. We never had dinner here, but my guess is that it would be equally good. I put this location on my GPS, which I consider the highest compliment I can pay a location/business. Don't go here if you are on a diet because your resolve will surely be destroyed, but if you want to enjoy some great food, good coffee, relaxing atmosphere, lovely garden and friendly staff, I highly recommend you go here, even if it means going a long way out of your way.