“Disappointing”

Door County Ice Cream Factory & Sandwich Shoppe
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Sister Bay
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: The Door County Ice Cream Factory and Sandwich Shoppe makes its own super-premium ice cream on site. Patrons can watch ice cream being made during production hours. Over seventy varieties of ice cream and sorbet are made with 29 available on any given day. We also have a full line of sundaes, shakes, malts, and draft root beer floats. Enjoy your ice cream in one of our freshly made waffle cones or enjoy a sundae with our house made hot fudge. If you are hungry for a meal, we offer a full line of sub sandwiches as well as soups, salads, and homemade pizza. Enjoy your ice cream or food in our building which was constructed in 1912. Adorning the walls are vintage photographs of Sister Bay and the surrounding areas. We have an outdoor play area for kids and plenty of seating both inside and out.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Very disappointing. The panini wasn't as good as we make at home. The restaurant was hot, needs to be cleaned up and painted. When I asked about the fruit or vegetable we could have with the meal, I was told the fruit is a banana and the vegetable is a carrot. The owner could try harder. We aren't going back.

ToddFrisoni, Owner at Door County Ice Cream Factory & Sandwich Shoppe, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review my restaurant. You are right about it being hot in the store. When we have excessive heat events, our 101 year old building has a hard time keeping cool. I am sorry that your panini did not live up to your expectations. The Cana Island is one of our best selling sandwiches. As for the fruit and veggie option, that is something that I added last year and am always looking to improve. So far in a year and a half, over 95% of people choose one of our three potato chip options. Perhaps it is because they do not like the fruit or veggie option. I am always open to suggestions. Again, thank you for taking the time to review my restaurant and i hope that you might give us another chance.

Regards,

Todd Frisoni
Owner

There are newer reviews for Door County Ice Cream Factory & Sandwich Shoppe

Reviewed July 8, 2013

They make the ice cream on the premises and bake the rolls for the yummy sandwiches as well. This ice cream business has been around for probably 100 years. It's different than what you're going to see at home. My turkey, provolone and avocado on freshly baked wheat roll was delicious. We followed up with a turtle sundae to share which was fantastic.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stopped for a cone for dessert after dinner one evening at their main shop just out of town. The flavors were all good and unlike last year, at least they were frozen and not soupy. It is quite expensive, but okay for a once-in-awhile treat. Unfortunately, their sister shop (the scoop shop) in downtown Sister Bay was not as positive of an experience for us. We stopped for a late night snack on Friday evening as a treat on our last night. We arrived at 9:55 with a long line out the door of the tiny scoop shop. My son and I waited in line (they close at 10pm) next to the loud bar scene right next door. We looked for a flavor list to make our choice while waiting but there wasn't any...we looked everywhere, which is important because during that perusal nowhere was there a sign indicating they took cash only. So, we got to the front of the line (there were still people behind us) and we ordered one double scoop waffle cone to share. The people in front of us were told there were only two waffle cones left, so we were excited to get one of them. The cone was scooped and rung up, I handed over my debit card and was rudely told they only accept cash. I had $4 on me and my cone was more than that. I certainly didn't expect to get a free cone, but do you know what the kid did? He tossed the cone in the trash (remember now, it was the last waffle cone) and started helping the next guest - are you kidding me? Where did good customer service go? They rely on tourists that won't be repeat customers, but I hope someone reads this and chooses to walk two doors down to the creamery for their ice cream instead of stopping here!

ToddFrisoni, Owner at Door County Ice Cream Factory & Sandwich Shoppe, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

PJV123,

Thank you for taking the time to review my Scoop Shop. I remember your situation vividly as I was one of the two people in the shop at the time. I had just left the main store and arrived at the Scoop Shop at 10:00 to a very long line. When I entered the scoop shop I helped my employee finish up a group of 20 and then proceeded to help the next few groups in line. When you ordered your double waffle cone, I noticed you grabbing for your credit card, at which time I told you that we are cash only. You said, “I only have $4 dollars to my name.” To which I said, “You can get a single in a dish or plain cone, that is $3.43 with tax.” You then proceeded to jam your credit card in your wallet, grabbed your son in a huff and stormed out. My employee and I looked at each other in disbelief, and proceeded to help the gentleman who was waiting after you. We did end up throwing the waffle cone away because the one you ordered had coffee ice cream in it, and we can’t re-sell a cone when it has had ice cream in it. I am sorry that we did not have a sign that says we are cash only, I have changed that.

Regards,

Todd Frisoni
Owner
Door County Ice Cream Factory

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I rarely eat ice cream, but I insist we go here every night when in Door county. My only complaint is that because they have over 60 flavors, I can't always get exactly what I want, luckily their satalite by Husbys carries the flavors the main shop may not have going...like peanut butter cup. :-)

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is our favorite ice cream spot in Door County! The ice cream is made in-house, and it's always delicious! There are many flavors to choose from, and I know for several years they have had a "new flavor" contest...so if you have an ice cream flavor idea, you might want to stop by and see if they are still looking! They also offer sandwiches, pizza, etc. which looked wonderful, but we want ice cream when we head there. They also offer a free cup of cold water which usually hits the spot after the sweet ice cream.