“Great family friendly restaurant”

North Star American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
North Star American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Shorewood
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I've been to this restaurant many times - sometimes with just adults and sometimes with grandchildren. The staff here is very friendly and the menu is excellent. There's a "family dining room" which is filled with games, etc. for kids to play while waiting. If that room is full, the staff is perfectly willing to seat children in the main room. The bar area is fun and lively. I've always had good food here - the scallop salad is delicious and the short ribs are perfectly prepared.

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We went to the North Star American Bistro for a birthday celebration-6 adults and two children. Service was very good--food items ranged from the steak to the pizza to burgers. Almost everyone enjoyed their meal--the meatloaf received an excellent review as did the black and blue burger. Interestingly, the steak sandwich received a great review but steak was the only entree which did not impress. The bruschetta was unique in that it did not use tomato's but mushrooms. The kids meals were mac and cheese or pasta and both were well received. Service was solid---overall a good restaurant.

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

This is a great find for brunch. The prices aren't terrible, still a little pricey but you get a lot of food for what you pay for. The food was really good as well, and a little different than standard brunch fare. They have a build your own Bloody Mary station which my boyfriend loved! I also like the atmosphere, I am not sure why others said it was generic. I thought it was very nice. I have not been back for dinner, however, so I can only vouch that brunch is great here.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

The restaurant itself isn't very impressive. The outdoor seating does suck, as another reviewer mentioned. The interior is pretty boring and generic. My boyfriend and I dressed up but the crowd was very casually dressed. Despite those things, I truly enjoyed my meal and the prices weren't too bad. I had the roasted pork and it was delicious. My boyfriend had a steak sandwich and was pleased with the quality of the steak. The wait staff was young but all of them were very nice and professional. They have a guy who brings around a tray of different breads to choose from which I thought was a nice touch. The only disappointment was their beer menu. Plenty of wine to choose from but considering it is a "bistro" I expected a better beer menu. There's a great brewery (Big Bay Brewing) right across the street! Why not feature their beer? I'm not sure if I would go back, simply because there is so many great restaurant's in Milwaukee but I'm glad I went at least once.

Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Reading the reviews I was concerned about the restaurant. The choice was our friend's.

Found it very good. Pleasant atmosphere with friendly competent service. Food was not exceptional.... Neither good or bad. Enjoyed the evening. Decor was minimal and I liked it. Noise level very acceptable.

1  Thank Chaucer39