“We enjoyed our time and will return” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Harbor Resort

Blue Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Chicago, Illinois
“We enjoyed our time and will return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

Went for a vacation with my toddler. Sat-Thurs. Beautiful location and hotel is very picturesque. The staff is very friendly. My son is turning 3 and they called ahead to ask me his name so they could make a door sign. The rooms are clean and we had a whirlpool room with a beautiful view. It is a great relaxing vacation. A few hiccups. On our last full day we left our room by 10AM and didn't return until after 2. We had spent all morning and early afternoon at the beach and came back to the room for nap time. To my disappointment the room hadn't been serviced at all. I called and ask someone to be sent and I was told someone would be sent right away. At 3 I walked down to the front desk and told them we would be having a late lunch at the restaurant right there (Beacon) and please have someone clean our room, my toddler NEEDS a nap and isn't going to make it much longer. I was told no problem someone would be sent right away. After lunch (now after 4) we went back to our room and our room STILL had not been cleaned. Now not having a room cleaned by 4 without asking is bizarre, but I had already called and visited the front desk and was told both times someone would be sent right away. Don't bother calling housekeeping on your phone they never answer (trust me I called 1/2 a dozen times). When I came back to the room I was now angry. I had a toddler in melt down mode and I think it is just crazy that after all that my room hadn't been serviced. I called and spoke with the Guest Services Manager, Sara. A few minutes later a maid came to the room, but I had already changed the garbage (diapers) and had the dirty towels ready to go. I just had him take the towels and garbage away and give me new towels. The maid informed me that this wasn't their room to clean. Not really sure how that was my problem or needed to be said. The impressive part is that while my son was sleeping a hand written note from the GM was slipped under our door apologizing. That show care. At check out this morning they seemed short staffed and the line was extremely long and took quite a while. It would be nice if they would let you check out from your room or auto check out to cut down on the wait. All staff, but that maid was super nice the entire stay. It did storm one day we were there so we headed to the water park. It seemed odd that the INDOOR waterpark shut down their slides due to safety issues. I guess I can understand the 2 slides that head outside, but not the other 2 that are 100% inside, considering they didn't shut down anything else and oh, it is inside. The waterpark we visited every night and tried to spend our mornings at the beach. I have read some reviews stating that the waterpark was only for younger kids. I disagree. I think it has 4 really good adult slides. It also has a lazy river. Everyone I encountered seemed to be really enjoying themselves. I think the restaurants are really reasonably priced. Again, I think customer service is top notch, the setting is perfect and overall we had a great time. We will definitely be back. I highly recommend. Oh one more thing, we did decide to leave the resort on Monday night just to try something else for dinner. The valet was asking me where we were eating and I told him and he and I discussed how he really liked that restaurant yada, yada. Confident we made a good choice we arrived and the restaurant is closed on Mondays. We tried 2 other restaurants and they were also closed. It appears most restaurants in town are closed on Mondays. We came back and ate at the hotel. The same valet wasn't there when we came back, but apparently heard about it and came and found us in the restaurant apologizing stating he should have known that is was closed on Monday. He gave us a gift certificate for free ice cream. I thought that was very nice of him. I didn't blame him for not knowing and didn't even give our conversation a second thought. However, I think that shows great customer service that he sought us out. So 2 things: again, customer service & don't go for dinner in town on Mondays :)

3 Thank Haley L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed here last week for two nights for the first time. From the time we got there to the time we left everything was perfect. The entire employee’s greet you as they go by with a smile and a hello. Our room was clean and comfortable. Housekeeping, Staff, Restaurants and Water Park were all excellent. The life guards were very noticeable since you could tell they were highly trained and at attention at all times.

We had one special request and it was honored with great enthusiasm from the General Manager, David Sanderson. Thanks!

Needless to say we have decided to move our stay from the Osthoff (nothing against the Osthoff but the Blue Harbor is just nicer with more to do for the kids) to the Blue Harbor for our winter holiday trip and will be back again next summer.

1 Thank TravelinChicagoan
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

This was our family's first time to Wisconsin. We picked Blue Harbor in Sheboygan because it wasn't too far of a drive from O'Hare and I wanted my kids to experience summer time on Lake Michigan like my family had in the 70's vacationing closer to the other Cheboygan in Michigan.

It's always a plus when they upgrade your lakeside suite to a lakeside villa. I think they were booked and our later arrival guaranteed better digs! The villa was fabulous! We had plenty of space, a full kitchen and a working fireplace.

We enjoyed the water park, exploring the piers and lakefront, and eating at the hotel and downtown. Very relaxing for all and our kids were engaged the whole time. We found the hotel clean and well-maintained and the staff friendly.

I recommend Field to Fork for dining (wish I could eat there once a week), the Bookworm Garden, and the parks along Lake Michigan.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

Stay was from 7/19 to 7/24. We had a 2 bedroom villa facing the lake. Our party was 3 adults, 1 17 yr old, and 3 children. The accommodations were excellent and the view of the lake was breathtaking. The pool was great and the indoor water park was a hit for the kids (and the adults). No problems with any "neighbors" - each "building" has 4 units. I would recommend that the resort do a daily "beach" sweeping. The lake not having tides means the sand keeps accumulating bird and lake waste. Biggest negative was the temperature of the lake - direct result of the 2013-14 nasty winter. Maybe its warmer after a mild winter.

Sheboygan has some very good restaurants. We had excellent meals at Rupp's and Field to Fork.

Room Tip: Get rooms that face the lake.
2 Thank Terry L
Groot-Ammers, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

Our family has stayed here on a tour around lake michigan. Great hotel. Restaurant was fine and there was more choice. Pool is amazing for children. I'm writing this review from Wisconsin Dells. Compared to here everything was clean, plenty of lifeguards. over all my compliments! We would have liked to stay longer. Around the hotel are some shops and restaurants. You can fish on the south pier. Rods are available in the hotel. There is a nice shopping street where the shops are. area is nice and clean.

Room Tip: pool entrance is on the first floor. restaurant, bar and lobby on 2nd. West side of the hotel is qui...
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

Just returned from a 3-night stay in a 4 bedroom villa overlooking the lake. We vacationed with our 2 kids, their spouses, and our 4 grandchildren that range in age from 1yr.-8. All of us had a blast. We have already booked our trip back for next July--but this time we will be staying 4 nights instead of 3 because none of us were really ready to come home after 3 nights. The best part is the choice of the beach, the outdoor pool, or the indoor waterpark. We utilized it all and enjoyed every minute of it.
The only reason I gave this resort 4 stars instead of 5 was a bit of a housecleaning issue. We have 2 crawlers among the group and they both managed to find some remnants of past occupants of the villa under the couch in the living room--some cheerios and gummy bears. Luckily (hopefully!) we caught them in time before they were able to put anything foreign in their mouths. Our son and son-in-law ended up moving the couches and sweeping up underneath them to get rid of whatever was there. The couches were heavy and hard to move, but I think housekeeping needs to somehow address the situation of cleaning underneath them after each move-out.
Other than that--it was a definite 5-star stay. We are all looking forward to our return trip next summer.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for a lake view--it is well worth it.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Quincy, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

We were put in an "upscale" condo ~ $350/day. Inside nice. Trash including empty beer bottles and propane cans stacked around entrance! Upstairs unit had 11 children (limit in brochure 4) who were total barbarians and ran and jumped all night! Maid service only if you called for it. Public access within 10 feet of entrance with families camping and cluttering the view. View spectacular from 2nd floor but dismal from first floor. Ball thrown into windows of condo by people using public beach. Children looking into windows and knocking on glass. No security patrolling grounds. Legal release included not being able to get redress, even in situations of gross negligence.

Not worth the money! Not restful!

Avoid

Room Tip: Avoid this resort. Hotel rooms above the second floor have the best views.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan
Victorian Village Resort
Victorian Village Resort
#2 of 2 in Elkhart Lake

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!