“Wonderful Reunion Week”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Bloomington, Indiana
“Wonderful Reunion Week”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our family of about 100 has a week-long reunion every three years, and this year it was at the Blue Harbor Resort. Most of us stayed in the villas, two or four bedroom units, and some stayed in the main building. The management and staff were wonderful. The units while not new were clean and well provisioned, the housekeeping staff helpfu; at every turn. We had the benefit of good weather, and the location right on the shore of Lake Michigan and the Sheboygan River was great. There was plenty of room, places for our gatherings, and activities for the kids and adults alike. This was our 10th reunion, and this location may have been the best of all, though we have had great times at resorts in Colorado every other time--we alternate west and east.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

After some changes to plans for a family reunion, my suggestion of the Blue Harbor did not disappoint! We had multiple Vilas that housed almost 70 of us! They were comfortable and clean. If there were things missing(mostly kitchen items), all it took was a phone call to the front desk and we got them right away.
The water park was perfect sized for all ages! Our youngest was a 4-year-old...and our oldest was a 69-year-old. Great fun by all!
There was nightly s'mores at the fire pit near the beach.
Shops were close by. As was an ice cream parlor...a bar...mini-golf.
The only gap I saw was the inconsistency in daily housekeeping visits to the Vilas. We saw someone everyday...some in our group saw theirs only twice the entire week.
Beside that...I would go back.
Thanks to the staff and locals! It was worth it!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We were looking to get away with our 4 children (2-8 yrs old) and thought this looked so beautiful, family friendly and fun. But we were wrong. We cut our vacation short because it was not worth the money. The website is beautiful and shows clean rooms and nice landscaping. But the rooms are out dated, the kitchen cabinets have no handles, and for $450+ a night for the 2 bedroom villas they cannot even provide soap for the clothes washing machine. All the landscaping was so over grown that you could not find the railings going down that big staircase. And we could not see the water from our lake view room because of the bushes in front of our deck. My kids loved the waterpark but it was pretty disgusting. Do they ever power wash or clean the dirty, moldy walkways and steps? It's a waterpark, they should be constantly cleaning. The waterpark staff /life guards were always really good. Always watching out for the kids rather than talking to their friends. We never got to enjoy the marshmallow roasting. One night it rained but the next night they prematurely cancelled it. It was a gorgeous night and there was no signage that it was cancelled. Storytime was a joke. Staff did not know where to send us and when we found it, no "welcome" "storytime will be held in that room", etc., she read the two books so quickly and just wanted to sell us the $3-6 tattoos. We were out of there in 7 minutes. No cookies and milk for the kids like Timber Ridge. Two more things... The putt putt grounds had 2 broken putters with one golf ball. My 2 year old was walking around with a spear since the putter head was missing. And the outdoor pool...due to weather we were finally able to enjoy the outdoor pool our 2nd day. When we got in at 12 noon they had not even cleaned it. My 2yr old was playing by the steps where most of the leaves and dead bugs formed. I asked the lifeguard if she had a net so I could clean it. Someone came by 20 minutes later and finally cleaned it. They opened it at 9 but did not clean it until 12:30pm. Come on! Really?

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank ChicagoGirlReviews
Illinois
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The resort and view of Lake Michigan was beautiful. We had a lake view family suite for two adults and three teenagers. Room worked great for all of us. Loved the large counter with the mini fridge and microwave. We stayed 3 nights and it was about the right amount of time for the kids to keep busy. The waterpark, pool and beach were their favorite spots, my favorite spot was the chairs outside overlooking the lake. The resort and room was clean and the housekeepers as well as the staff members around the resort were nice and helpful. Restaurants had wonderful food and good prices, casual dress for all restaurants on site so don't forget about the Latitude Restaurant if you decide to visit the Resort and if you are there to truly relax schedule in some time to take advantage of the beautiful Spa!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My family and I visited Sheboygan today as part of our week-long visit to Milwaukee. My mother-in-law wanted to visit Blue Harbor Resort because of the beautiful TV ads running promoting the property. So we (husband, 6-year old and his parents) drove up to visit and it is just as the ad promotes. After viewing the grounds, my mother-in-law wanted to see a room. I kindly requested to see a room from the front desk clerk, Trudy. She kindly told me that they had a full house the night before and wasn't sure if they had a room available to see. She then said she could show me a standard room but we would have to wait until a staff person wraps up a tour with another guest. As I patiently waited for nearly 30 minutes, I saw Trudy, Jess, and Adam provide full service to other customers, spending an average of 10 minutes with each of them. Granted they were checking out or had questions, but we were potential guests.
Twenty minutes into my wait, I asked Trudy again about seeing a room and she replied that the guy was wrapping up a tour and should be here "momentarily," and I asked did she think we would see a room soon, and her reply: "oh you will see a room today." After this, my family got up from the comfortable chairs and sofa and decided to leave. I guess my in-laws at their age, saw what was happening. I, on the other hand, wanted to please my mother. But, when I made eye contact with Trudy as we were at the door to exit, she didn't blink or even attempt to ask us to stay so she could accommodate our request. I got the message that we were not welcomed there; and to this very hour, I still refuse to believe that it is because we didn't look like the majority of guests there.
But there were no other obvious reasons, and I think this is not an unusual request. We have made it before. What is wrong with seeing first what you plan to buy? Blue Harbor missed out with us. We travel a great deal and probably fit very well into their economic demographic. Oh well. We enjoyed the water park immensely, save for my husband and a lifeguard’s misinterpretation of the rules for the tubes. We will come back to Sheboygan and rent a condo on another property. From Trudy, we surmised that Blue Harbor doesn’t want our business.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank J S
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Would you please contact me at info@blueharborresort.com so I can arrange to discuss this matter with you by phone? Thank you, David Sanderson, General Manager
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great indoor waterpark! Love the option of stepping outside on the beach. The beach was fairly clean minus a few dead fish and the water was clear and not murky. The rooms are very nice, we stayed in the loft and there was enough room for 3 adults, 1 teenager, and 2 toddlers.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ruth S
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We visited for a family reunion and had a wonderful experience. Our family of 5 (kids 9, 8 & 6) stayed in a lake side 2- bedroom villa, and loved the magnificent views of the lake. The beach was clean, and it was easy to watch the kids in the relatively shallow water (no lifeguards). Campfires on the beach at night allowed more enjoyable outdoor time. The indoor water park was very fun, and not too crowded. The prices tend to be on the high side with everything from the spa (for the girls) to the concession stand in the water park. But the full kitchen in the villa allowed us to save money by having several meals in our room. There are several grocery stores within a 5- minute drive of the resort. Overall, we had a great experience, and will probably go back in the future.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sgg639
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!