“Don't Stay Unless You Like Screaming Kids!”
Review of Blue Harbor Resort

Blue Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
“Don't Stay Unless You Like Screaming Kids!”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Beautiful large resort right on Lake Michigan. The Lake View Rooms are worth it.
We had what they call a "Family Suite" which is actually one very large room with two queen beds and a sofa sleeper. Pretty good deal during the week. The whole resort is beautiful with a nice
spa for massage services. Don't bother with their premier restaurant, Latitude. Poorly prepared food ( a nice walleye was overcooked and served dry by their so-called "world-class" chefs).
Once the weekend arrives all bets are off and the place becomes loaded with screaming kids. We were there in Sept so maybe this kid-thing extends during the week during summertime as well. Many of the rooms have bunk beds so you know the resort is angling for kids to use their indoor water park which is a healthy-fee extra!
A couple of "oddities". There is no "bell-man" service so you are on your own lugging luggage.
Also, they do not offer room service - kind of irregular for a resort. The other restaurant, Beacon, unfortunately likes to stick to the buffet with no menu service (except they tell me Mon to Thurs - but one Thurs morning they only offered the buffet). I hate warmed over buffet food for $12.95.

Room Tip: Get a Family King or Queen with Lakeside View
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LarrytheLegend
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
I'm sorry you were disturbed by children running around and also that we overcooked your walleye. I hope you will let me know when you can come back and your next order is on me! It is normally one of our best items. In regards to the bell staff comments, we are adding bell service beginning next year. I would also love to order room service, but frankly we struggle with how to deliver it to the villas. It's so far to some of them i don't think we could maintain a great product. We did consider not offering it in the villas and only in the main hotel but after talking to some villa guests this season I didn't get good feedback on that approach. I do appreciate your comments and we will strategize with our food and beverage team to figure out a solution.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My family and I had a wonderful time last weekend.We rented the 4 bedroom villa which has the lake view. We just had two things to say.The villa had a cigarette smoke smell when we checked-in,we are quite sensitive to it because none in our family don't smoke at all.Secondly,we didn't had a parking spot right infront of our rented Villa.It would be nice that they can assign even one parking spot for a specific villa #.We had to walk longer/further with all our kitchen/food supplies to the villa.The place is really beautiful..good for reunions and family gatherings..

1 Thank gingbes
I am so sorry the prior guests must have smoked in the villa. You raise an excellent point about assigning parking spots. We're glad you had such a wonderful time. It's makes our day when we see smiling faces and get comments like yours. Please say hi when you come back! We greatly appreciate your business!
chicago
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was me and my husband frist time here what a beautiful resort we stayed in a king suite The room was clean comfortable and spacious we have a city view and it was beautiful I love to people watch on the balcony we also walked the pier at night we ate at the Beacon the food was great but the service was more then excellent everyone at this resort was so nice We also had a few drink at On the Rock the guy who took good care of us at on the rock was so very friendly he make us a special drink that was so good my husband is still talking about it I am so sorry i can not think of his name walking the beach in the morning and in the evening was wonderful we alway go to the Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva but not any more now that we find Blue Harbor even through it is three hour away it worth the drive This was a wonderful three days we did not want to go home Thank To the Fantastic Staff At Blue Harbor for a wonderful time see you soon

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cora
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I apologize for not responding to your comments sooner! I thought I had done so, but in reviewing our comments realized I had not. It is so great to hear from guests like you that discover our resort and Sheboygan as a new alternative for a great place to visit. The city has worked very hard to renovate the downtown and South Pier area and our owners have invested heavily in the property. Putting smiles on faces like yours is why we do it! Thank you so much.
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was soooo looking forward to our stay at this resort. We'd booked a 2-bedroom villa with another couple and I thought the place just looked too good to be true on the web site. It kind of was. There was just something about the place (the waiter in one of the restaurants in town told was that the complex was built on a land fill...which kind of ruined it for me and I'm not even one of those uber-organic types.) When we checked in to our first floor unit, there was a party who was occupying our porch area even thought they actually belonged on their own balcony above. When we walked up, one of the rubes looked at us and said, "Oh, looky here. We have new neighbors. We ran the last bunch off". Charming. Did not put me in a "luxury" state of mind even though it was certainly not the hotel's fault. Villa was just "okay". Bare box spring hanging out with no bedskirt (or other); dark spots (I hesitate to call them "mold") on the grout in the shower; and a big, honkin' power plant on the near horizon. (Somehow they missed that on those windswept, sand-duned web site.) We did not like it and we would not go back.

Room Tip: I think our experience might have been better if we'd stayed in the actual "hotel" rat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sally G
I am sorry about the villa bedding and housekeeping issues. We are replacing the bedding package in the villas. We obviously missed inspecting your villa before arrival. You're right, there is a power plant to the south of us, but hopefully you will give us another chance and enjoy the rest of the view. Please let me know if you would come back- I will make your reservation for you and can be contacted at info@blueharborresort.com
Thank you!
Racine, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Just returned from a fantastic Labor day vacation with my family,we stayed in the family suite with a fireplace and veiw...on the 2nd floor!! The room was very clean,spacious,comfortable and relaxing...and the veiw was amazing.Loved waking up to the sounds of the lake and watching the sunrise with my son. The hotel it self is gorgeous...I can see why people get married there. We want to renew our vows there.There is so much to do,they have story time with a bonfire,face painting for a small fee,the beach is just a short walk away.They have an outside pool with a bar and of coarse the water park.The water park was perfect.. we all loved it.Even though it was labor day weekend and the hotel was booked we never felt crowded.We ate at Beacon for the breakfast and dinner buffet.The food was really good but the services on both days was very very slow!!! Everyone was very nice and friendly-except for the blonde haired lady at the starbucks coffee/snack bar...she was very snappy!! Besides the poor food service and the snappy lady we had a wonderful time.I called and asked for extra towels,pillows and shampoo. Less then 5 mins and housekeeping was there.We would of loved to stay forever ,my son was so sad when we had to go butwhen we told him we would come back again he was happy with that. This was truely a great experience and we look forward to going back soon!!! :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
We would love to help you renew your vows here! If you will email me at info@blueharborresort.com I will be happy to have our staff arrange this. I'm glad your son didn't want to leave! I have the same problem when my grandkids visit! Your comments about Labor Day weekend are also appreciated. You are so right- there are often more than a thousand people here, but with the design of the resort, it's very easy to find quiet areas to relax. We've updated our menu in The Beacon to make it easier to get food out faster due to comments like yours. Thank you so much for staying with us!
Watertown, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our group consisted of US(EARLY 50's), children ( in early 30'S), grandchildren (ages 2-7), step children.(ages 18-20) We were very comfortable in a loft room and family room.Beautiful Hotel! Comfortable beds and nice furnishings. It very nice to have a good sized refrigerator. We celebrated 8 birthdays this month :) The Waterpark kept all of us busy. We appreciate areas for all different ages. I especially liked life jackets for all my grandchildren to use - less items to pack! I have to say all your staff we met or passed in the hallways were so friendly. very refreshing that your staff know the meaning of being professional. I know some of those staff worked long shifts as I saw them arrive and depart for the day. We appreciate their good attitudes :)

Room Tip: Our City view room was very quiet - we never heard anyone int he hallway. Call the desk if you have...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wow! It is so great to see families get together and that we can play a part in groups like yours having a great getaway. I am very pleased to see you notice the friendliness of our staff and recognize that many of them work long hours to make sure our guests enjoy themselves. As a grandparent myself i know how great it is to getaway with your children and grandchildren! Thank you again for your comments and we will post them in our employee area so they see first hand there efforts are noticed!
Dyer, Indiana
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just returned from an amazing Labor Day 3-day weekend celebrating 30th Birthday with family! We stayed in the 4-bedroom Villa! What a Great spot on Lake Michigan! The villa was perfect, comfortable, & view amazing! There's so much to do & the water park is Perfect for kids &'we adults loved it too! From the accommodations to the waterpark, outdoor pool, lakeside running trail, pitting range, to body surfing & basking on this Great lake, it was a fun-filled weekend for all! Can't wait to go back.

PS, Can't forget about the most wonderful spa treatments at Reflections! Ladies, you are all amazing, professional & some of the best! Josie, I'm so grateful for your amazing healing hands. The pain in my right arm is still gone (had been suffering with this for 3 months). I'll be back soon for a follow-up massage for sure!

Room Tip: We stayed in villa #430 bldg 730!!! It was great,
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
It is wonderful to hear you share your experience about your visit with us. I will make sure the spa knows about your comments. I agree- they are wonderful and have such passion for their jobs. It sure makes mine easier and I appreciate them! Please say hi next time you are here!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#7 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!