“WONDERFUL PLACE ALONG LAKE MICHIGAN” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Harbor Resort

Blue Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“WONDERFUL PLACE ALONG LAKE MICHIGAN”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Found a great through-the-week discount rate and stayed three days in July 2012 to fish on Lake Michigan. Room had refer and microwave allowing us to bring own breakfast fixings and drinks. Located very close to the fleet of fishing boats. Beautiful view of the lake with an adjoining sandy beach.

Room Tip: Inquire at checkin for a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Marilyn P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Our family stayed here 2 nights in mid August in a four bedroom villa. The stairs up to our villa were unexpected but we all managed them. Perfect water-park for our 2, 4 and 8 year old kids. The location was perfect next to the beach, spa, restaurants and walking paths. The villa was spacious and just right for 3 couples and their children. We brought our own food and cooked our own meals. I was surprised that we had to call to have the garbage taken out and ask for more towels but, they were taken care of promptly. I would stay here again in the future. Overall, a good trip.

1 Thank jacksonpryce
Milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and I just got home from a relaxing 3 days at Blue Harbor. The upgrades to the facility are very nice. The lake view, grounds, amenities and staff are all first rate. The outdoor pool is great, especially with the outdoor bar. Our bed was super, the room (whirlpool w/fireplace) was great and had lots of plush towels! We know Sheboygan well and know there is much to do in the area so management needs to do a better job of communicating options. That said, it's a great place for young families (waterpark!), couples (moonlit strolls along the lake or river) and large family groups (condos). Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I would suggest at least a 2nd floor room on the lake side - better views. You might want be on the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We recently spent 3 nights at the Blue Harbor Resort in Sheboygan WI. While the facilities themselves were great (view of lake, water park, etc.) there is a HUGE lack of service. When we tried calling the front desk (several occasions) to ask questions, no one answered even after some 30 rings. They claimed they were very busy at the time, but we were able to have someone look from the balcony directly at the front desk and there were 3 people "working" behind the counter, no customers and still our call was not answered. Also our bed sheets were not changed nor the room vacuumed (we had two young children with us) even though we asked twice - and even left a written note! Not only were the used (dirty) coffee cups not taken away, but no clean ones were left either. The top sheet on the bunk bed came totally untucked as it was not made to fit that bed and rather than remake the bed, we came back to find that the sheet had simply been wadded up, placed on the table in our room, and the bedspread pulled up with no top sheet on the bed. Food was medicore but the water park was great and being on the shores of Lake Michigan was awesome. Forget the room discount promised however - we were conned out of that!

Room Tip: Find a different resort in the area
3 Thank Anita P
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Please contact me at info@blueharborresort.com to discuss your comments in detail. I am the General Manager at the resort.
Park Ridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

My family and I stayed in one of the four bedroom condos. We stayed during the week so we got a 30 % discount. It would not have been worth the price without the discount.

PROs: Condo very roomy. We were a group of 7 adults, one child, and one toddler and had more than enough room. We enjoyed the balcony for evening cocktails when the kids were asleep and morning coffee (we did not have a lake view). Very quiet- we had other people in our building (four condos to a building) and couldn't hear a thing. Less than a 5 minute walk to a very clean beach with shallow water. My three year old loved the putting green. Water Park good for one rainy day. Staff at the snack bar in water park were outstanding! Very accommodating and helpful. Ice cream shop across from hotel very good. My three year old loves trains and they have one that goes around the entire shop. Breakfast buffet very good for only $12.95 per adult (children were only charged $7). We ate at two great restaurants for dinner- Brisco County Wood Grill and Highland House. Both very close to the resort, casual, and reasonably priced (compared to Chicago prices).

CONs- The condos are on the far side of the resort so it is a bit of a walk to the main lobby area, but right next to the water park and beach. The four bedroom condo was on the second and third floor of the building. This should be detailed in the description. It does say they are not handicap assessable but that doesn't mean they are on the second floor. There were at least 20 stairs to get to the second level which were hard for Grandma to handle. The beds were horrible- very uncomfortable. We did not have any extra pillows or blankets in the room. The condo was supposed to have pots and pans, but had only one frying pan and it was rusty. None of the remotes worked. When we raised these issues, it took two days to correct. We rented a DVD player, but when we got back to the room it didn't have the cables necessary to connect. They did NOT clean the rooms- simple left clean towels and made the beds. On the last day we had to call for more toilet paper. The outdoor pool is way too small. We tried to go twice but it was too crowded. And this was during the week- I can't imagine the weekends!! I believe the pool is new- they should have made it much bigger. Security at the water park was non-existent. There is a side door that was propped open- people were freely moving in and out without wrist bands. There was outside food and drink everywhere, kids without swim diapers, toddlers swimming (under water) in the whirlpool!! Gift shop did not have enough things. They should have significantly more items for the beach. Shop at water park way overpriced. No other shopping in town. We had dinner one night at Il Ritrovo. Service was horrible and pizzas overpriced and bland. We were very disappointed given the high ratings this restaurant got. PLEASE ADD A MAP OF THE RESORT TO THE WEB SIGHT!

Overall, we would go back but only because of the quality and proximity to the beach.

2 Thank Patricia K
Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Front desk staff were horrible and not friendly or knowledgeable at all. ALL restaurants there were Horrible!!! Service from all wait staff at all places were horrible!!! The Beacon, slow service, terrible dinner food. Breakfast bar was gross also. The restaurant next to it shared the same kitchen and never came to seat us so we left. Latitudes food (all of our steaks) were waaay over cooked, non flavorful and over priced for the quality.

Wi-fi did not work in condo we had to call company ourselves. Tv in 2nd bedroom did not work and tub was clogged and wouldn't drain. Maintenance did come out and fix those items. Looks like they tried to update some things as condo was just "okay". The condo was clean but housekeeping never did anything but take out trash and give us new towels.

The water park was okay. Good for ages maybe 4-9. Our 2 year old who loves swimming and the water did not enjoy his time there as music was loud, kids running around bumping into him and knocking him down , and had to wear a
bulky lifejacket ( which I understand why but he was not happy with). My 13 year old was bored out if his mind and went to play the few games in the "arcade".

The beach was very nice and beautiful. No complaints at all there.

The food in the town of Sheboygan is not good at all either. We ate out every meal at different places(numerous times) and nothing was above par there. Sheboygan has so many possibilities to be great. Unfortunately, it seems as if no one cares about customer service or their tourism there.

Golf at the Bull was FABULOUS!!

Sorry, but we will never return again. Not worth the money, the drive, the non culture, or the boredom.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank nikkisaintlouis
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

My family (husband & teenaged boys 14 &15) and I stayed Sunday and Monday, August 5 & 6th. We had a family suite with a balcony facing the lake. We arrived a few hours before the check-in time, but we were given wristbands so that we could go to the waterpark. This waterpark is small compared to the bigger waterparks we have stayed at in the Dells (Kalahari, Great Wolf & Mt. Olympus). I think that this waterpark is perfect for younger children,because you don't have to worry about a young child getting lost, but this waterpark is not for teenagers. My kids went on a couple of the slides and used the hot tub, but they are accustomed to the larger waterparks. I saw lots of younger children having tons of fun in the waterpark, so if you have children under the age of 12, this waterpark is the perfect size. The Blue Harbor has an outdoor, supposedly heated pool, but the pool did not feel heated, the water was freezing. My kids enjoyed playing basketball in the pool, because there are two basketball nets attached to the pool.
The lobby is gorgeous, it is open and bright.This is the most beautiful lobby I have ever seen. The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. As I stated earlier, we got to the hotel a few hours before check-in and we asked if they could call us when our room was ready. Our room was available at 2:15pm and we were allowed to go up to our room at that time. We got the family suite with a lake view. The room had two queen beds, a fireplace, obviously not necessary in August, a separate sitting area with a couch, nice size bathroom and plenty of space for all of our stuff. Our room was clean with plenty of room for a family of four. When my oldest son knew I was writing this review he said, "Mom, don't forget to write about all the outlets in the room." As you know, travelling with teenagers often means they travel with lots of electronics; phones, ipads, ipods, laptop, etc., and my family was no exception, this room had lots of outlets so we were all able to charge our various items. Our room had a balcony that was facing the lake and it was a gorgeous view (minus the coal-fire plant south of the resort). At night we left our balcony door open and it was nice to go to sleep listening to the waves and we all slept really well. I think we slept so well, because the hotel was nice and quiet.
As mentioned on the Blue Harbor website, there is no direct access to the beach, but that didn't stop families from climbing down the boulders to go to the beach and it didn't stop my family. There was also a sort of trail created out of the sand so you could access the beach, so that is the way I accessed the beach, because I certainly wasn't going to climb down any boulders like my children did. I don't know why the resort doesn't create direct access to the beach, maybe they would then they would have to have lifeguards patrolling the beach. Who knows?
In the back of the resort by the heated pool, there was an area to play bocce ball and adjacent to the bocce ball area, you could play on the putting green, which we all had a lot of fun playing. On our last day, my kids went miniature golfing at the mini-golf place across from the resort, but the place only takes cash. My kids enjoyed the miniature golf, as it was a beautiful day and the place is located near the water. Other than the miniature golfing, there wasn't a lot to do, outside of the Blue Harbor Resort area. Sheyboygan is a small town and doesn't have a lot to offer at this time, hopefully that will change. My husband and I really enjoyed the resort and our boys had fun, but once the waterpark closed at 9pm, there wasn't a lot for them to do. Though we did use the fitness center at 11:00 pm and played bocce ball at 10:30pm.
The only restaurant we ate at during our stay was the Beacon Restaurant, we ate dinner on the back patio facing the lake. We had a gorgeous view and the food was delicious. In the resort there is snack shop where you can get breakfast, so one morning I sent my children downstairs to purchase four McMuffin type breakfast sandwiches and I gave my kids $20.00 and told them to bring back the change, when they came back, my oldest son hands me a nickel and I asked him, "What's the nickel for"? he said, "That's your change from breakfast." If I had known the price of the sandwiches ahead of time I wouldn't have purchased them. The McMuffins from McDonalds taste better. Oh well, live and learn!
Overall we had a nice time and it is a beautiful resort. Our room was nice and had a beautiful view of Lake Michigan. I would definitely stay here again, but only with my husband. The resort doesn't offer enough activities for teenagers, but for families with younger children this is a perfect resort, because the waterpark isn't too big or crowded like the larger waterparks in the Dells.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and a room overlooking the lake.
2 Thank Hanna D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan
Victorian Village Resort
Victorian Village Resort
#2 of 2 in Elkhart Lake

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!