“Nice & Quiet Resort- Waterpark not for teenagers.”
Review of Blue Harbor Resort

Blue Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My family (husband & teenaged boys 14 &15) and I stayed Sunday and Monday, August 5 & 6th. We had a family suite with a balcony facing the lake. We arrived a few hours before the check-in time, but we were given wristbands so that we could go to the waterpark. This waterpark is small compared to the bigger waterparks we have stayed at in the Dells (Kalahari, Great Wolf & Mt. Olympus). I think that this waterpark is perfect for younger children,because you don't have to worry about a young child getting lost, but this waterpark is not for teenagers. My kids went on a couple of the slides and used the hot tub, but they are accustomed to the larger waterparks. I saw lots of younger children having tons of fun in the waterpark, so if you have children under the age of 12, this waterpark is the perfect size. The Blue Harbor has an outdoor, supposedly heated pool, but the pool did not feel heated, the water was freezing. My kids enjoyed playing basketball in the pool, because there are two basketball nets attached to the pool.
The lobby is gorgeous, it is open and bright.This is the most beautiful lobby I have ever seen. The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. As I stated earlier, we got to the hotel a few hours before check-in and we asked if they could call us when our room was ready. Our room was available at 2:15pm and we were allowed to go up to our room at that time. We got the family suite with a lake view. The room had two queen beds, a fireplace, obviously not necessary in August, a separate sitting area with a couch, nice size bathroom and plenty of space for all of our stuff. Our room was clean with plenty of room for a family of four. When my oldest son knew I was writing this review he said, "Mom, don't forget to write about all the outlets in the room." As you know, travelling with teenagers often means they travel with lots of electronics; phones, ipads, ipods, laptop, etc., and my family was no exception, this room had lots of outlets so we were all able to charge our various items. Our room had a balcony that was facing the lake and it was a gorgeous view (minus the coal-fire plant south of the resort). At night we left our balcony door open and it was nice to go to sleep listening to the waves and we all slept really well. I think we slept so well, because the hotel was nice and quiet.
As mentioned on the Blue Harbor website, there is no direct access to the beach, but that didn't stop families from climbing down the boulders to go to the beach and it didn't stop my family. There was also a sort of trail created out of the sand so you could access the beach, so that is the way I accessed the beach, because I certainly wasn't going to climb down any boulders like my children did. I don't know why the resort doesn't create direct access to the beach, maybe they would then they would have to have lifeguards patrolling the beach. Who knows?
In the back of the resort by the heated pool, there was an area to play bocce ball and adjacent to the bocce ball area, you could play on the putting green, which we all had a lot of fun playing. On our last day, my kids went miniature golfing at the mini-golf place across from the resort, but the place only takes cash. My kids enjoyed the miniature golf, as it was a beautiful day and the place is located near the water. Other than the miniature golfing, there wasn't a lot to do, outside of the Blue Harbor Resort area. Sheyboygan is a small town and doesn't have a lot to offer at this time, hopefully that will change. My husband and I really enjoyed the resort and our boys had fun, but once the waterpark closed at 9pm, there wasn't a lot for them to do. Though we did use the fitness center at 11:00 pm and played bocce ball at 10:30pm.
The only restaurant we ate at during our stay was the Beacon Restaurant, we ate dinner on the back patio facing the lake. We had a gorgeous view and the food was delicious. In the resort there is snack shop where you can get breakfast, so one morning I sent my children downstairs to purchase four McMuffin type breakfast sandwiches and I gave my kids $20.00 and told them to bring back the change, when they came back, my oldest son hands me a nickel and I asked him, "What's the nickel for"? he said, "That's your change from breakfast." If I had known the price of the sandwiches ahead of time I wouldn't have purchased them. The McMuffins from McDonalds taste better. Oh well, live and learn!
Overall we had a nice time and it is a beautiful resort. Our room was nice and had a beautiful view of Lake Michigan. I would definitely stay here again, but only with my husband. The resort doesn't offer enough activities for teenagers, but for families with younger children this is a perfect resort, because the waterpark isn't too big or crowded like the larger waterparks in the Dells.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and a room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Hanna D

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We were looking for a nice place to go with our daughter and grandchildren NOT the place saw so many reviews that said how nice it was and that is so much to do? WHERE? The waterpark was great but thats all there is.There are maybe two stores around no shopping at all. The gift shop had nothing in it.When I see the word Resort in a hotels name I expect to be pampered and taken care of,Not here you carry your own bags which we had alot of checked in our room was just OK My grandaughter slept on the pull out couch which when we pulled it out was broken called down to the front desk 3 times no answer.We thought oh well we will go and eat tell them and they will fix it,WRONG the 4 days we were there she slept on it broken.The staff was not helpful at all if you could find anyone,Dont Eat at the Beacon the food was not eatible.For 12.95 I expected it to be good it was TERRIBLE! We all had omlettes with mushrooms which tasted like rubber bands the bacon was burnt the hash browns were like eating cardboard. To make matters worst if thats possible, we saw our waitress twicwe ,once to bring us water and once to bring us the check. Now lets get to the BEACH nice beach if you can get to it , you must climb over hugh Boulders not small rocks Someone is going to get hurt there.Lets go back to the room, the people upstairs of us must have had some children and some elephants with themabout 11:30 must have been feeding time not sleeping time The hotel is not sound proof by any means.The cleaning crew does not start to work till11:00 so most of the time our room wasnt cleaned till about 3:00, with 5 people using the bathroom you would thik they would leave extra toilet paper but they didnt so we waited till they brought some up {which was 30 min later}and with a 6 year old that was fun.I think one of the thing besides all I have told you already that got me upset was do you know you PAY TO PARK there? PAY for the newspaper(that you have to go get at the front desk)and PAY for WIFI yes 12.99 a dayNever have I heard of this.
Sheboygan is a dried up town and as for the BLUE HARBOR RESORT? they will not be seeing us again and when someone asks me how our trip was lets just say YOU make your own fun where ever you go at Blue Harbor it was IMPOSSIBLE!

Room Tip: room without a broken couch
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Karen C
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

I'm sorry didn't enjoy your stay with us. We do try hard to satisfy all of our guests. We've added bocce ball and a putting green as well as expanded our family outdoor activities with the campfire and s'mores. I'm concerned that you mention you had to pay for parking. Our parking is free. The $12.95 resort fee covers a complimentary USA Today, wireless internet, bocce ball, putting green, use of the water park and other amenities at the resort.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was the 3rd year we have returned to the Blue Harbor. We rent the 4 bedroom villa. We called ahead and we were able to check in at 1:30. The inside water park is perfect for little kids. The outside pool has been expanded with more chairs, a nicer deck and bar area. We did not partake in any resort activities but it seemed like there was a lot more than prior years. It is a great place for a family gathering.
Down side
-beds are terribly incomfortable
_villas were not cleaned

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank RAR0019

Thank you for recognizing that we have added many activities and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. As for the villa beds, we have replaced and renovated all rooms in the main resort building and are talking with the villa owners about upgrade plans for them. Thank you for your comments!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Room not Clean!

We rented a lakeside loft room for 4 days, checking in on a Monday afternoon. View, beautiful. Room, terrible! The carpet clearly had not been vacuumed. The bathroom had not been cleaned- in fact, hair was everywhere,and it did not belong to us. Remnants of toothpaste from the previous tenant were in the sink. My mother in law stayed in the loft room. She found a pair of mens underwear on the floor next to the bed!! We have stayed at this hotel seven times before. It seems however that each subsequent stay becomes more disappointing, less clean and now, I don't know if we will go back. I mentioned my concerns to the staff at the front desk upon checkout, they apologized, but that was it. The shift supervisor was right there, and said NOTHING. That spoke volumes to me about where the bottom line really stands. So, I paid the $800 bill, left, and will have to seriously consider if we will return in the future

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Dreebugg

Please contact me at info@blueharborresort.com. I am the General Manager and would like to review your comments with you in person.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My family stayed here while I was playing golf nearby. We had a nice room with a loft. Room was great with a gorgeous view of Lake Michigan. Lots of families (some a little too obnoxious) and plenty of activities including the water park.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank James413
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Fabulous place on Lake Michigan. The location is truly what makes this place worth the trip.
We only stayed one night, but would of been worth an extra night.
The waterpark indoors is basically for families with children, but we made use of it also. The lake
water was way too cold and the pool water also.
The area around the resort was really nice with a minature golf course and live music in an outdoor plaza. The little ice cream shop was perfect to just soak in the sun and view of the harbor with boats entering in and out. I was very impressed with the staff and how friendly everyone was. Truly a wonderful get away and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: I would suggest the first floor lake view. You have a little patio and it faces the lake which you...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your nice comments! We look forward to you visiting with us again. Glad you found the shops on South Pier. I love the ice cream shop too.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Went for 4 years, saw about the same as most comments here the good and a lot of poor. The place is in some respects worn out and under staffed.

The trash is never picked up in the suites, even when you call about it, nothing, no clean towels three nights. You get the suite and you are on your own for everything.

At night the locals pour into the water park, coolers of beer, there is no security, guests non guests no check in. No staff around to make sure you are a guest or not.

Went to two other parks, newer and better staffed. Looking out over Lake Michigan is great but but there should be more to a water park/hotel then just that?

John

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank John S

I'm sorry to see your comments. We may have been a little under staffed since our business has taken off so dramatically. I would like more detail on your housekeeping issues. I can be reached at info@blueharborresort.com and would appreciate learning more specifics. We have many great employees in housekeeping and I would like to find out the when's and where's of your experience and room number so I can follow up with housekeeping.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
4 mi away
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#3 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!