“A Seaside Suprise”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Chicago, Illinois
“A Seaside Suprise”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

A Midweek, mid-Summer, local staycation for 3 adults and one child (3).

A very nice resort on the suprisingly clean shores of Lake Michigan.

Waterpark, nautical decor, reasonably clean, nice linens and bath products...

We stayed in a city view loft room on the 4th floor. 3 tv's, a fire place, livingroom, 1-1/2 baths with plenty of towels, good climate control, small balcony, 3 queen beds and a queen fold out couch... can sleep 8 if needed. Microwave, fridge, bar sink...

Restaurants are reasonably priced, the service was a little slow but okay.
The staff is very nice...
The waterpark is crusty in spots and in need of a good power wash, the tower steps need replacement... moldy and loose in places... but it was really fun, for ALL AGES!

A very good coffee shop and Wolfgang Puck coffee in the rooms.

The resort is just beginning to show some wear in the exterior architectural ellements, and steel exterior doors, this needs attention asap so it doesn't get worse!

We had a major mishap regarding our bill on checkout which got fixed but that left a big stain at the end of our stay which up to that point was very pleasent. I believe that the resort could have handled it better and they should review their accounting process.

The Sheboygan area does have much to offer if you look for it, a diamond in the rough.

I would recommend this resort for a midweek relaxing vacation! Do some internet seaching for stuff to do around the area, geared for you and your travel companions wants and needs.

Room Tip: loft rooms have 3 queen beds, and a living room... lots of space and separation.
1 Thank Ziggy0017
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to say such nice things about Sheboygan and your visit to Blue Harbor. I'm curious about the "accounting mishap" at checkout and would like to learn more about that. I can be reached at info@blueharborresort.com.

Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Reviewed July 29, 2012

After staying here for one night last year and having a good time, a few weeks ago we decided to treat our son to a mini vacation this summer before his new baby sister would arrive in 6 weeks. Originally we planned to just do a cheap basic city view room but then decided to splurge a little and get a "lake view" room. Then we decided to indulge a little more and treat our son to one of their upgraded kid suites - The Aquarium Suite, Lake View. He was SO excited for his special room. This added about $50-60 a night to our stay which seemed worth it at the time.

THE VIEW:
Driving up from Chicago, we arrived within the first hour of check in and were given a room on the first floor. The way the hotel is set up, you drive up a ramp to the check in on the 2nd floor (where you see sweeping views of the lake). However, all the rooms on the first floor are sunken below. When we arrived to our room we immediately called the front desk to complain. At the Blue Harbor Resort, all the rooms on the first floor are not Lake View. Lake side, yes, but you will not see any lake. Our room was near the pool overlooking their newly added putting green and bocce ball court. Also the way the resort is set up, the ground in front of the first floor rooms are flat but then there is this berm with tall grass and sand that is higher as it reaches the lake which completely blocks any water view. (See photo). The other part that made it even worse is that the putting green is about 15 feet from the room. (This sliding door is also the only natural light source into the room). So you have to either keep your curtain open to get any light but be in a constant fishbowl of everyone on the putting green all day or keep your curtain closed which makes the room unbearably dark. On a higher floor you could keep the curtain open while changing or getting ready towards the back of the room. However, on the first floor this is not an option unless you are an exhibitionist. Likewise, with the first floor city view, your door opens right up to a row of cars about 5 feet from your door. It is not a very private feeling as people are constantly coming and going. For that sort of a view, save yourself some money and go to a Motel 6. Now while I understand that some people may not mind being on the first floor or even mind missing any lake views, my complaint is that we specifically thought we would have a 'Lake View" and paid the same rate as someone who had sweeping lake views on the 4th floor. This does not seem fair. When making the reservation, the description specifically said " includes patio or balcony with lake view". There needs to be another class of rooms specifically for those on the ground floor that are marked as lake or city SIDE vs. VIEW. Ideally these would be a slightly cheaper rate as well considering what you are missing compared to other rooms.

THEIR SOLUTION:
When we did call immediately to complain about the lack of view for what we had paid, we were told there was nothing they could do. The gal at the desk said there was no manager on duty until the morning. (I have never been to a hotel that did not have a manager, assistant manager, night manager etc on duty at all times!). She said she couldn't authorize moving us and we would just have to wait till the morning. My suggestion was that if we had to stay in that room, at the very least we shouldn't be charged the same as someone on the top floors with great views. Again, she said she couldn't do anything.

A little later we decided to get out of our room and try out their restaurant Beacon Cafe. While we were sitting there, someone from the front desk sent over a $50 gift card to us as a small token for our stay that night. This was a nice gesture and for me, made up for paying extra for our missing lake view. More on the restaurant below. It wasn't good.

When the morning came we contacted the front desk again about our situation. We played tag with the woman who was told could help us. After lunch time we finally were able to catch up with her and she was able to move us one floor up to an Aquarium room on the 2nd floor. The view was great and this is where we stayed for the rest of our visit.

THE ROOMS:
The resort recently underwent a big renovation for the common areas. When we stayed here the first time, it looked like a mermaid had thrown up in the resort. It was nice but a bit too 'themey' and cheesy. The overhaul is beautiful and really classed the place up. I do wish the same consideration was given to the rooms. The Kid Aquarium suites are of course, also meant to be theme oriented which we knew. Our son LOVED his little private area with bunk beds and a tv (he doesn't have a tv in his room so this was a big luxury for him). My big complaint about this suite is that not only do they keep the kids area with the theme but the entire suite was painted this horrible aqua color with an ugly, dated wallpaper border in the whole suite. This made the room very dark (especially when you have to keep the curtains closed). It would have been nice to keep the kids area in theme but paint the walls in the adult area a white color like the other rooms. Walking past one of the Boathouse Suites we could see that this is what they did with those rooms. They were much brighter as a result. The aqua color was a little harsh on the eyes. Otherwise the room was very basic. NIce amenities but a bit dated. Some holes in walls that had been patched but not painted etc. (we found this in BOTH rooms we stayed in). The other annoying thing was that the guidebook that comes with the room from the resort was very outdated. When they did the renovation they changed all the restaurants but did not update the books in the room. So all the information was for the old restaurants. There was no information on how to even contact the current restaurants. My only other complaint about this particular room is that the bed is closest to the sliding door rather than the sofa being near the door. This was only a problem because the bed was then about 2 feet from the AC unit. So my poor husband spent the entire night with his face getting blasted by the AC unit. It was also very loud. And since the first night was on the first floor, we really couldn't turn off the AC and leave the screen door open for fresh air instead. I would check the floor plans for the room you want and select one where the sofa is closest to the sliding door/AC rather than the bed. Unless you don't mind loud, recycled air blasted in your face all night.

THE BEACON RESTAURANT:
We ate here our first night. While in our room we wanted to know what they served. There was no info for the restaurant in our room. No number, no menu etc. I looked up on my laptop and the BHR website does not include any menus for their restaurants. We contacted the front desk (which maybe answered their phone 1 out of 5 times we called throughout our stay). They put us in touch with the restaurant and we asked if they had a menu online to look at. They said they would actually bring a menu to our room right away. How nice. Well we waited for at least 30 minutes and no menu came so we walked up there. Realize that I was 8.5 mo pregnant and unbearably uncomfortable and I was not wanting to just walk all over the place without knowing for sure that I was going to eat there... hence the reason we just wanted to see the menu first. So we walked up to the restaurant and were seated outside with a great view. The menu was pretty basic. Nothing too amazing but also decent casual dining food. While our server Jadie was very sweet, she was very incompetent and made numerous mistakes. (We later found out she has been working there for a while so really no excuse for her issues). First, we ordered a cup of milk for our son. She brought out a kiddie cup with a straw and lid and it wasn't till later, since we couldn't see inside, that we realized she just brought him water. We waited for a very long time for her to come check on us so we could tell her of the mistake but she never came. We finally had to wave down another waitress who kindly brought us a cup of milk for him. Later, his meal was supposed to come with a side bowl of fruit. She never brought it. Finally getting her attention after 10-15 minutes, we asked her where it was, she apologized and said she would get it right away. She didn't. Another 15 minutes or so later she came around and we mentioned how we still never received his fruit. Finally she went to get it. At this point we had all finished our meal and were just waiting for a bowl of fruit for our son. Then she left us with the bill. We realized she charged us for 3 expensive alcoholic drinks which we never ordered but of course we had to wait again for another 15 minutes or so for her to stop by so we could have her fix the bill. Overall we were there for way too long for an average meal and poor service. I wouldn't go back to the restaurant again. I would highly suggest looking up a restaurant called Field to Fork which is a short drive away and very good. It is next door to an Italian place too which is also apparently very good.

THE FACILITIES:
Everything else about the place regarding the pool, the waterpark, and the nearby beach is great. No real complaints here. I was a little worried knowing that they allow anyone from the area to use the waterpark without being a guest. We went either early in the day or late in the day so it was pretty empty but I do know at one point there were a few school busses full of kids (from a local camp?) that were at the park. We just avoided it during that time. I do wish it were guests only but oh well. Still less crowded that the Dells.

THE SHORELINE CAFE:
Just off of the lobby area is a small little 'cafe' that sells some basic sundries as well as ice cream, chocolate etc. Since we had been given that gift card we had to use it for something so one night we got a couple cups of ice cream. It was basic stuff. Ice cream is always good. We still had a balance on checkout day so we decided to use it up at the cafe for some chocolates and some snacks for the road. What a mistake. We went there about 10 minutes before check out time thinking it would be a quick visit. The snacks we picked out had no prices on them and the gal at the counter had no idea how much anything cost. Her boss was standing right next to us and was on the phone dealing with a personal matter. She looked right at all of us trying to get her attention to ask a question but she just continued on with her conversation. Finally she took a second to answer the gal and tell the prices but she seemed very put out by having to actually do some work. Of course then a few moments later there was another question about something else that didn't have a price and again, we all had to wait for her to be bothered to help us. Perhaps putting prices on things or keeping a price list behind the counter would be a good start if the boss is too lazy to work. At this point we had been there for a good 15 minutes at least just to buy like 4 things. Then the boss just left without telling the younger gal where she was going. Of course this is when things got worse. We went to use the gift card and the gal (who said she was new - isn't that always the excuse) didn't know how to do a gift card. She tried several different things and kept screwing everything up. Then we just stood there while she claimed her boss should be right back. That didn't happen. Finally after about 10 more minutes of pushing buttons she ran over to the Beacon Restaurant and grabbed anyone she could find to help her out. The woman who came over knew how to ring up a gift card but didn't know how to correct the errors the gal had made so they couldn't zero out the register and start over. So again we waited. Finally after having been in the place for a good 45 minutes at this point, the boss finally came back from whatever personal business she had been attending to (something about cashing some checks to her bank) she showed back up. She knew he had been there the whole time but never offered one apology for the wait. Again she seemed so put out by having to actually work. I felt really badly for the young gal as the boss was sort of short with her for not knowing what to do but it was obvious that she had never been trained well at all. The young gal kept apologizing but it was really a lack of poor management, poor store set up, lack of any sort of procedural handbook behind the counter etc. All in all it was a really long horrible experience just for some lackluster, overpriced snacks. It was ironic that the gift card they gave us to make up for our poor room view forced us into a situation with even worse service and more frustration.

CHECK OUT:
We ended up checking out late because of the issues at the snack shop but thankfully we weren't penalized for it. Before we left, I asked to speak to the general manager and he took a few moments to speak with us. He was very nice and completely understood our frustrations with our stay. But of course, that is their job to assure all guests that this was an isolated (series of) incidents and not how they usually operate. I suggested to him about making a different class of rooms for those without an actual lake view but I'm sure that will never happen. While he was very nice (actually everyone we met minus the boss at the snack shop was very nice), there really wasn't a solution or outcome for our ordeal. He said that if you make a reservation for lake view you can request to be on a floor above ground level but there is not assurance you will get it. I told him that if we were paying for a lake view and could not be guaranteed to get a lake view then we would probably never stay at the resort again... until this is corrected.

Overall a lackluster experience. Our son loved the water park but we could have saved a lot of money and just taken him to our park district's water park for a few days instead. Unless some other changes are made to the resort, I don't think we will stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor if possible (especially on the pool side-where all the noise is). If you have...
4 Thank chopsockey
Wow, what a detailed review and very valuable for us to learn from. I remember meeting you. Thanks for adding the comments about the kid's suites needing updating. We did do the bedding and televisions and will look at further upgrades there.
As for the first floor issue, this has become a bigger problem as our occupancy has increased so dramatically. To fix the problem, we have to rebuild the system by adding another room type, since all lakeview rooms are classified equally. Our plan is to make the first floor rooms a separate category to eliminate any confusion with them. We do get great comments and some requests for them, but I agree that the are not exactly "lake view".
ill
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Hello I just recently returned from blueharbor resort today. Upon checking in there was a bed with blood stains. Very health department scare in where I should have called the better business bureau in Wisconsin. So we had to call the front desk to change the bed sheets then the worker had horrible body odor. On the days they claimed they cleaned they didnt' use soap to clean bathrooms they didnt vacuum or mop floors We were in a lakeview room facing the lake and it was my first time visiting there with my family. I feel we deserved a bed with no blood on their bed sheets and cleaning crew that respects the spread of germs by cleaning bathrooms, making the beds and also throwing out garbage. It is very unclean and I will not return to this location. I had young kids with me and I am diabetic so I hope I don't get sick from this establishment not being hygiene friendly. I have seen many other reviews complaining of the cleanliness of this location.

Room Tip: Request that bed sheets are cleaned and that they use soap to clean your bathroom. They put a anti...
3 Thank v g
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I visited this resort for a family reunion. It was perfect for our needs: we had many small children with us, and the water park and pool provided plenty of activities. I also love that it is right on the beach, so you can hang out on the beach and get away from the noisy, busy waterpark scene and enjoy the outdoors, too. That is something the mega resorts in the Wisconsin Dells don't offer, and why I would choose this location over the Dells any day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments! You hit the point exactly of what we are trying to do with the resort- that is to be MORE than just a waterpark resort. I'm glad you took advantage of the outdoor activities. I love to see our guests relaxing in the adirondack chairs, or playing bocce ball. Please say hi next trip up!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

We arrived in the early evening and quickly went downstairs to have s'mores by the bonfire (50 cents). The next morning we went to the water park for a couple of hours with our two kids - 5 and 2. We all had a great time. We stayed in an aquarium bunk room which the kids loved both because of the bunk beds and the theme. The room is big and comfortable with a very cozy queen for us. We wished we had an extra day here and will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2012
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
We're really glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again!
Festus, MO
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We just returned from a 4-day vacation at this resort. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
Lakefront with nice beach
Nice Villas
Within walking distance to restaurants, ice cream, & miniature golf

Cons:
Parking - not enough. Had to fight for a close parking space everytime we left. Should have assigned or parking stickers. Too many non-guests used parking lot to use resort's beach.
A/C in villa is so loud you cannot hear the TV.
Every TV channel is wrong on guide and on TV. TV would say TWC but be USA instead.
Breakfast buffet is a rip-off. It is NOT included in your price. For $12.99, you get everything you would get at La Quinta, except for a cook who will prepare an omelet for you. Big deal. The eggs had a weird plastic taste, the gravy looked like cream of mushroom soup and had anise in it, and the sausage didn't looked cooked all the way. Drive to Perkins and get better food for $7-$8.
Second night, a family with 9 children was upstairs in the villa we were in. As soon as they got there, someone started continuously jumping up and down on the floor. Our light fictures were shaking. It was raining this day, so we were stuck inside with this commotion all day long. I called the front desk and they acted like that's part of the deal when you stay in a $250 a night villa. That family lefted the next day and we got even worse upstairs neighbors. They unloaded all their beach & BBQ supplies in front of our door. We had to step over their things to get out. I was moving it, and they came out and said, "oh, is that in your way?" We said yes and they turned around and went to the beach. When we returned later that day, we noticed our table from OUR deck was missing. Our neighbors had taken it down to the beach to BBQ. I talked to the front desk and told them to get us another table since we sat outside at night. At midnight that night, it was still not there. Moral of the story is if you want a nice quiet vacation, don't stay in a villa.
Beds and pillows are rock hard. I was sore every morning I was there.
Also, there is a notice on the wall inside stating do not put trashbags outside due to health regulations. First night, someone sat a bag full of dirty diapers in front of our building. We called and housekeeping was there immediately to get it. The last night we were there, our nightmare upstairs neighbors sat 2-3 bags of trash on their deck, in the morning about 100 seagulls had the trash strung all over the place! What is wrong with people? If you can't act right in public, stay home!
Also, on the weekends, it is party central. I guess because the villas are so expensive, the more people they get to split the cost the better? But they come in droves and must bring every car they own. If you leave, you will have to find a parking spot a half a mile to a mile away. Seriously. People, including older adults, are yelling, drinking, fighting until after midnight. It seemed really weird to me that a nice resort like this allowed this kind of behavior.

So, even though we had our problems, we problably will go back. Next time, we will stay in the hotel part since it was just the two of us and we really didn't need a villa that big. We will also not eat at the buffet and go elsewhere. This part of Wisconsin is very pretty and clean, just wish the trashy people would stay at a different hotel.

Room Tip: If you are not going with a large group, I would get a Lakeview room in the hotel. The price is only...
3 Thank amberghini
I'm sorry you didn't have better neighbors and we should have reacted quicker to make your stay more enjoyable. Maintenance is checking all the AC units in the villas. Thanks for giving us another chance. Please email me at info@blueharborresort.com when you are ready to make your reservation to return.
Chicago
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We just returned from a three night stay. Overall, the resort is very nice. However, after hearing all the hype about renovated rooms, I was a little disappointed. The room was spacious and clean, however the fixtures, carpet, wallpaper and shower grout seemed dated. The only updates in our room seemed to be the flat screen tvs and the hairdryer. The kids enjoyed the bunk beds and having their own tv in the boathouse suite. The water park was nice and very clean although definitely smaller than the typical Dells waterpark. My children are 8 and 10 and it was enough to occupy them for a few hours each day. There are two larger raft slides, two body slides, the typical huge bucket that dumps every 15 minutes, leaping lilly pads, basketball area, multilevel water play structure and two areas for toddlers. This resort has a perfect location. It is right on Lake Michigan and has one small beach (you have to navigate down large rocks) and a bigger beach just a short walk down a path. They also have an outdoor pool that adds to the resort feel of this property. A new (and challenging) putting green and Bocce court are nice features also. The lake view is very nice and now that I have seen the property, I will definitely go with a lake view next time. We dined at the Beacon and it was a convenient choice for a decent breakfast. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and will plan to be back.

Room Tip: Lake view would be worth it. Try to get a room on the top floor to avoid hearing guests above.
3 Thank JEM05
Thank you for your constructive comments! We did replace all the bedding in our rooms along with linen and terry. We are discussing a schedule for carpet replacement. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your comments!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!