“Nearly perfect!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
“Nearly perfect!”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Was there on a business trip - stayed 2 nights and was completely satisfied, other than it took me a couple of tries to find the place. The property is beautiful, spotless, awesome location on the lake, great attention to detail and the staff was outstanding. (from the manager to the housekeeping staff- amazing). Would stay there again without question.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Blue Harbor is a fantastic resort. My family stayed for 2 nights in the Boathouse suite. The room was clean. The outdoor pool was very nice. The water park was very clean with lots of lifeguards around. Housekeeping and put fresh towels, soaps, etc in our room while we were out on our second day, which was so appreciated. Lake Michigan is beautiful. No complaints about this hotel. It is beautiful!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Milwaukee
Reviewed June 6, 2012

In general, my wife and I enjoyed our stay and would return. The resort is really quite nice in spite of itself. The potential exists for this to be a top-of-the-line 4 (or even 5) star resort, but because of the lack of attention to detail, it is just an above average 3 star resort.

The good: The location, great Lake Michigan views, good food at the bar, great service at the bar, friendly lobby staff, the grounds, beautiful lobby area and common spaces. (Because of all these things, this really is a nice place)

The problem is the lack of attention to detail. None of the following are all that big of a deal, but when you add them all up, it just leaves you feeling, "Shoot, this place could be so magnificent, if they would just pay attention." So here goes: The room was clean and very nice when we arrived, but we were a little surprised and disappointed that the cleaning service on our second day involved nothing more than making the bed and supplying 2 new towels. Garbage was not emptied, nor picked up from around the room, coffee pot was left in the sink and not cleaned, coffee cups were not cleaned or replaced, nothing was put back in its proper place, etc, etc. (We were in a hotel room, not a condo, so I suspect full-service cleaning was supposed to have been done.) In addition, the bed was very squeaky and the mattress was not comfortable at all. The balcony railing is in need of a paint job, and the balconies all need a throrough cleaning as the chairs were covered with dust that we cleaned off ourselves, and the roof and pillars were covered with dead bugs and cobwebs. The chairs are low quality, old, and in need of replacement. The balconies themselves, could be a selling point all by themselves with the view they possess, but they are only about 3-4 feet deep, so there is room to sit only 2 people if they sit sideways. A renovation to extend the balcony, replace it with high quality outdoor table and chairs, paint job, and cleaning would make a massive difference. It's such a waste of enormous potential not to do this (at least on the beach side balconies). And of course, you can't forget the air conditioners. In casual conversation with two different staff members, we were told that they hear from people every single day how much of a nuisance the air conditioner noise is. It is so loud, that it is impossible to hear the waves on the beach without taking a stroll down to the condo end of the resort. And that is such a shame, and again, a waste of so much potential. The AC unit itself is massive and sits right by all of the beach side hotel balconies. With a little time and effort, that system should be able to be moved to the other side of the Latitude Restaurant, where it will bother no one at all.

The bottom line: Renovate the balconies, replace the beds, move the air conditioners, and demand perfection from the room cleaning staff. If the attention to detail here was the same as it is at a The Post Hotel in Lake Louise, Alberta, or The Trump Hotel in Chicago, coupled with it's lake Michigan location and world class golf in the area, this resort could be a destination for people not just from Wisconsin and the midwest, but for people from all over North America. If someone asked me now, I would say the place was nice and I would go again. But with just a little more effort, you couldn't keep me from going several times per year.

Room Tip: Best views are from the 3rd or 4th floor on the beach side. 151,251,351,etc are right by the air con...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank VR731
midwest
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This gorgeous hotel reminded me of the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, but on Lake Michigan. My daughter and I were on a buying trip and a mother daughter weekend and we were impressed by the beauty of this place. We were there the first weekend in June and it was considered slow time, which is what we preferred. The staff was first rate, everyone we met was very friendly and tried to be so helpful. I congratulate the management on this resort, finding the right people for the jobs which must be hard even in this economy. Room was lake view and very large - comfortable bedding and very clean. We appreciated the balcony, but weather was very cold and rainy so could not enjoy it. Took a peak at the water park they have, we had no children with us, but wanted to compare it to one of the Wisconsin Dells waterpark we visited with my grandchildren. No comparison. This was was perfect for the family - very clean and so much for the children to do - the Dells is way to big, smelly and dirty that was one of the worst places we visited when the children came into town from Oregon, we would recommend Blue Harbor - again an excellent staff. Had a pefect experience at the Spa - staff again excellent - Josie the massage lady was perfect, very kind, warm individual - I would suggest asking for her. Both the facial and pedicure girls were also great. All in all a most pleasant, relaxing spa time. We had a wonderful dinner at Latitude 43. Superior server - very friendly and accomodating - excellent meal. We would highly recommend this resort, my only suggestion for management would be to have a floor for adults only - otherwise a most enjoyable and lovely resort. My compliments to the staff and management. Great Job!!!

Room Tip: Try to get on 4th floor - no one above you to hear children running around - can be loud
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ciganka43
Beloit, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I reserved a lake view room so that I could ponder the world and write. I am a writer. A week before my arrival date the resort called to let me know that the water park would not be open on my reserved dates but offered to re-reserve at another time. I actually planned the trip during a quiet time but I did appreciate the courtesy call. The resort is lovely. The room was awesome. The staff was friendly. I kept the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door so that I could focus and concentrate on my work. The staff was respectful of my request. One day they actually slid a note under the door saying that I should contact the desk if I needed anything. (Nice touch). Interestingly enough, there were two white beach chair sitting close to the lake shore that was almost directly straight out from my balcony. People walk by or drive by on there bikes and I saw a lot of people stop and sit in the chairs. So, the chairs are not just a cute little picture for the resorts advertisement. I would go there again but I would probably stay longer.

Room Tip: I requested a lake view room on an upper floor. It was perfect.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SandyM999
Chicago
Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for two nights at the hotel. Check in very quick with lots of info. Stayed in a loft suite with additional room upstairs which was great for the kids. Room was very clean and up to date. Very good beds with great soft compforters. Had a 4th floor room with a great view of the lake and left the screen open the whole time to hear the waves. The outside beach was very clean and great for walks. The kids would rather spend time walking, rollerbladeing onthe walk or going to the pier than at tje waterpark which was why we went there in the first place. We didnt want to spend all our time at the hotel. The waterpark was awesome for what it was. Its not the Dells. Not alot of kids around but just enough that the kids made friends. Staff at the coffee shop and Beacons were great. Kids did kareoke all night Friday with a great guy as the DJ. The guy made my kids feel special! As for dining, we read things about not eating at the hotel. Wrong! We ate at a place Al and Al,s. Small place in a small neighborhood. Someone said they did a good local fishfry. The kids were freaked by the german ethnics of the place. It was fun but food was bad. My kids wont eat chicken tenders again because they were raw. Fish was okay. Also ate at briscos. Not bad but not worth it for what you get. Had a below level waitstaff named JoJo. She picked up her tip before we even left in front of us.Not the best grilled BBQ food. We had the best dining experiance at the hotel. After a long day we decided to eat there. Had THE BEST waitstaff named LISA at Beacons. Made us and the kids feel like special people! Our diner was less than going out and it was good. We came home and told neighbor,s and we all want to rent one of the condo,s. A little pricey......but worth it. My kids said that this was thier second favorite hotels........the one at DIsney was number 1. We have stay at many places and this ranks up there.....will go back.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank carolina82
neenah WI
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Thank you for a wonderful weekend! My husband and I took our 2 year old son here for a weekend in May. The resort and drive into it were breathtaking. There are small shops along the passage into the lake on both sides. It is very close to many restaurants in the city along with restaurants in the hotel. We arrived at 4 on Friday, checking into our aquarium hotel room. The room was very clean (located on the third floor) and my son loved the fish everywhere and his own little "room." The room was quiet, for a kids hotel, without all the noise others complained about. I would recommend the third or fourth floor only for the views! We looked out at the city and it was still a nice view! The waterpark was small for older kids, but for children under 7 there was plenty to do. Our son loved the toddler pool and it was not overly crowded at any time. Friday night we had dinner at the Beacon, sandwiches, which were good. A nice beer selection and wonderful service.
This was a wonderful place and I can't wait to come back again when it is warm enough to rent bikes and explore the city and lake! Thank you again for a great weekend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ckobasic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!