“A Family Tradition”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Chicago, Illinois
“A Family Tradition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

While viewing the Blue Harbor website, I was surprised to learn of the remodeling project. The rendering of the lobby looks great...modern and tasteful. I'm glad the stairs were removed. They blocked the magnificent view of Lake Michigan.I'm sure it's now much prettier than a staircase. My family has visited Blue Harbor for the past six years. What began as a Christmas present is now a family tradition. We love the villas on the beach. They're clean, spacious and well appointed. The best part is that we are all together and comfortable.The villas are a great alternative to the traditional hotel rooms, and economical if shared by families. No, it's not the Dells...it's a classy relaxing retreat on beautiful Lake Michigan. The kids love to spend the day at the beach and the night in the water park. Along the harbor is one of the best mini-golf courses, and an old fashioned ice cream parlor. (Don't miss either) A long stroll along the waterfront out to the pier is a great way to end the day. We can't wait to visit again this summer!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband, twin 10 yr. old girls and myself spent April 2nd and 3rd 2012 at this resort. We were very impressed with our stay and can't wait to go back again!! When you drive up the driveway to check in the exterior of the hotel was very impressive. It reminded me of the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island in Michigan. We all thought it was very pretty. Our room was on the second floor and faced Lake Michigan - what a beautiful view. I had also requested a room with a fireplace and whirlpool which our girls loved and to be honest so did I. We just couldn't get enough water I guess. Although it was smaller than some of the waterparks in the Dells we still loved it and were thrilled not to have to pay the prices that the Dells hotels required. The only thing we were slightly disappointed in was the buffet at the restaurant located in the hotel. The food was very good but there wasn't a lot of variety. I had extensively researched hotels in the Dells as well as the Key Lime Cove in Gurnee but couldn't find anything that really made me want to stay in them. The reviews I read for the ones available on our travel days made me wonder if they were worth the money we would have to spend. The staff was also very pleasant and more than willing to help us when we needed it.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room with a lake view but even a room on the city side isn't that bad becaus...
1 Thank babe72
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

We drove to sheboygan for a weekend getaway with the two little ones and my father to enjoy the waterpark at the Blue Harbor resort. Unfortunately the main lobby was undergoing extensive remodeling at the time and we did not get to experience what I had heard to be a beautiful space. We knew that the Blue Harbor Resort was a former property of the Great wolf Lodge chain and many of the things we like about Great Wolf lodges were still apparent at the Blue Harbor Resort. Our first floor room made it very convenient to the waterpark and being on the opposite end of the hotel from the waterpark meant that people weren't constantly running by our room. The staff was friendly and professional and the lifeguards were attentive and pleasant. They all really seemed to enjoy their job. Our room was comfortable, clean and large enough to comfortably fit five people and the bathroom was more spacious than I had expected. The location of the Blue Harbor resort was fantastic with a great view of Lake Michigan and plenty of parking. I look forward to returning Sheboygan in warmer months as there are many local outside activities available around the Blue Harbor Resort.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise outside your room, don't book a room on the southern wing as it lead...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ahavakamm
Waupun
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

Spent April 11 and 12, 2012 at this resort. Stayed in a king suite on first floor (City View). Our view turned out to be the busy parking lot a few feet away. Unable to open blinds because we had no privacy with them open because of people walking by constantly. The carpet was very dirty and stained. It could have used a good vaccum cleaning to at least get the surface leftovers!! I would suggest replacing or at least shampooing the carpet in our room (Rm 114). Our bed was the most uncomfortable we have ever slept in. A king size bed but the mattress sagged in the middle. We automatically rolled to the middle the minute we layed down. The noise was extremely bad. Sounded like the halls and upstairs rooms had elephants in them. Unbelievably noisy. Since we planned on bringing our grandchildren next time we have changed our minds. We'll be going to the Dells. Oh yes, when we mentioned the sagging bed we were told the mattresses were brand new!! My husband is in the furniture business and if he ever sold a mattress like that he'd soon be out of business!! If someone wants to stay at this resort I would certainly at least suggest they ask in advance for a lake view room. Our first time here so didn't know to do that.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jean716
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

We own a condo in the DELLS but didn't feel like traveling all that way over Spring Break to go to a waterpark. We looked into Key Lime Cove in Gurnee but didn't want to pay $249-$299 for ONE NIGHT!! Outrageous!! Then I remembered the radio ads about Blue Harbor so I dedided to give it a try. Our friends bought a summer home in Sheboygan so it must be good, right??

We got a GREAT deal of $99 per night with the HARBOR HEROS rate. WOW!! The resort itself is gorgeous to drive up to. It actually reminds me of the Grand Floridian in Disney a bit. The lobby was AMAZING!! Beautiful!! The view of the lake was BREATHTAKING!!

Check-in was ok. We arrived at 2 p.m. & the girl said our room was not ready unless we wanted to take a room nearest to the lobby. I politely declined & requested a 3rd or 4th floor room. She said she had a room on the 4th floor but it wouldn't be ready for another 1-2 hrs. No problem...we got our wristbands & went to the waterpark. No sooner did we do the 5 min walk to the waterpark, then she called on our cell & said our room was ready. I was little peeved by this but this was ok. We just wanted to get into the water.

The water park was spotless & very nice!! PERFECT layout to keep an eye on the kids. The park is geared toward the younger ones though. My kids are 6 & 7 and it was fine. I'd say anything over 12 would be bored quickly. I really appreciated how clean the place is kept & how attentive the lifeguards are. On our 2nd day however, I did have to tell the waterpark manager that the ladies restroom was disgusting. No one was keeping up on it. It was filthy. Towels all over the place. No toliet paper in 4 stalls. Paper all over the floors. He addressed it quickly & had someone over there cleaning it in less than 5 mins. They just need to keep hourly checks on the restroom so it doesn't get that bad.

Rooms were very nice!! The waterview is WELL WORTH IT!! I loved the new linens & how the room is decorated. A very nice & spacious room for the 4 of us. We were in Room 403 overlooking the pool. I did mention to the front desk at checkout that the balcony railing was wobbly & needed to be fixed.

We did not eat in the resort other than some nachos & snacks in the waterpark. The surrounding area had some WONDERFUL restaurants that we ate breakfast & dinner at. We can't WAIT to go back!! Its not as big as the DELLS but good enough for the shorter car ride. We love the entire Sheboygan area & Blue Harbor is our new FAVORITE!!

3 Thank CharlieTangoChicago
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
Thank you for your nice comments! Sorry we got behind on the rest room checks. Most of all we're glad you enjoyed our resort and Sheboygan. I'm relatively new to the area but we really love it. I would be interested in your feedback on our dining offerings when you come back! I do agree there are many great choices within minutes.
Oak Creek
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

Our family of 5 stayed in the Kids Aquarium room (ages 6, 2.5 and 12 weeks) and they loved it. The room was very clean and our view out at Lake Michigan was great. The water park was perfect for the ages of our kids, the food in the water park was not the greatest and very pricey. The water park had life jackets for the kids, lots of life guards and clean towels all day long. We had breakfest at the restaurant off the lobby, the food was horrible. We went to eat about 8 AM and the food was cold, the pastries were hard and once again very expensive for what you got. Overall we were very pleased with our stay at the Blue Harbor resort but will think about eating out next time.

2 Thank Niki P
Thank you for your great comments about the water park. Our food and beverage team has reviewed your comments about breakfast. Thanks to you and a few others for letting us know. We are improving it with fresher offerings. Please let me know while you are here again. I definitely would like your feedback on our restaurants during your next visit.
bethvan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

My family stayed just one night during spring break as that's all we had time for...
The Waterpark:
Waterpark was great for our 5 & 8 year olds! The attendants at the tube slides were very friendly and went out of their way to make "racing" each other down the slides fun. My 5 year old had plenty to do which is great. I do have to say that I was also disturbed by the area of black mold in the floor caulking that follows a line from the pirate ship to the snack bar. They really need to get that whole thing replaced. Also, in the lily pad pool, there was a LOT of stuff floating in the water...I believe pieces of swim diaper liners. It was not good & so we kept both boys out of there. There were plenty of pool towels, but limited tables to set your things at. For someone who likes clean, it was worrisome, but boys had a great time.

FOOD:
The Latitutes restauarant was nice - great atmosphere & view. The waitress (Tina?) was especially nice and very charming with our children. I loved my dinner, but my husband was very disappointed in his burned tilapia...he is not one to complain at a restaurant though, but with those prices you should not ever have a burned entree. SKIP the breakfast buffet...horrible eggs, cold pancakes, chewy bacon, stale muffins and something resembling yellow play-doh that I think was potatoes. My kids ate bagels & cold cereal. The only item worth eating was the made-to-order omelette. I heard from many other guests that eating out or ordering in was the way to go. I think the way to go would be to improve the food quality to keep customer $$ in house.

ROOM:
We lucked out on picking a good room since it was our first time to the resort. We were in 417 or 419 and it was great to be on the top floor with a beautiful lake view! There was lots of running noise in the halls, but it is a family resort. Room seemed clean, the linens were clearly new and there were plenty of towels. Three flat screens in our room which was nice, but we weren't really there to watch TV. Would be nice for a longer stay though. I do have to echo another reviewers comment about the inch of black dirt/dust on the ceiling fan clearly visible from the loft - yuck! Even my 8 year old noticed that. Elevators had some issues as well & we usually took the stairs.

Overall I'd say it is a nice place. I hope they can work on their food issues and get some more areas cleaned or renovated. I can see this being a nice place to stay in the summer as well to visit the beach. If you asked my kids, they would say it was the best place! Obviously when they are happy it counts for a lot :)

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor with a lake view
1 Thank bethvan
I must compliment you on your comments. They were very well organized and objective. We are closing the water park for maintenance to correct the issues you noticed. We keep cleaning the grout but the discoloration keeps coming back. Our Director of Engineering believes that the last time it was fixed, we tried to open the park too soon and failed to let it cure properly. I answered a couple of other breakfast comments. We are working hard to fix them! We hope you do come back this summer. It's a great place then too!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan
Victorian Village Resort
Victorian Village Resort
#2 of 2 in Elkhart Lake

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!