“Great family trip!”

Blue Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
“Great family trip!”
Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

Our family stayed in the Kids Aquaruim room and the kids (5 and 8) loved it! It was clean and nice. The kids little room had bunk beds and a TV which they thought was so neat.

The water park was wonderful! We ate at the restaurant off the lobby and the food was fabulous. The service was great every where we went.

My only complaint is the noise which really isn't the hotel's fault. We had a child running around above us in the middle of the night and making loud noises. I'd recommend 4th floor so you don't have anyone Above you.

Fun stay and we can't wait to go back!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Misscole33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Chicago
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This is the second year that we have stayed here for spring break. We have a family of 4 including two boys 7 and 9. It is only a 2 hour drive from Chicago which makes it very convenient for a quick get away. I encountered mostly good service except for couple of hiccups so I will describe in detail what we encountered.

Hotel- They have recently renovated the common areas such as the lobby and the restaurants. For the room, they bolted a flat screen TV between the sleeping area and the sitting area. The viewing angle could be better, I would have loved to have the TV mounted a bracket that would tilt sideways and up and down. Otherwise, our room was clean, comparable to Great Wolf Lodge and Kalahari resorts. One thing that I would recommend is having kid's shampoo/body wash available in the rooms.

Housekeeping- They did a great job one day, then the next day it was a a disaster, it looked like only the beds were made up and the garbage cans emptied. towels were not replaced and the floor was not vacuumed. I had to call to have the room vacuumed, towels replaced, and to provide us with some additional shampoo and conditioner.

Waterpark- It is a smaller indoor waterpark compared to the resorts in the Dells. It's best for kids under 10 and because the open layout, much easier to keep tabs on your kids.
There is no outside food or drink policy in effect. I am fine with that as long as it is enforced consistently. We had a waterpark supervisor whose name rhymes with Can or Pan, who decided upon himself to enforce the rule for us and not for some other families. He stood over us until we took the juicebox for our kids back to our room. Yet there were at least half dozen other families who had string cheese, McDonalds, and other snacks that were not enforced. Maybe, it was because we were asian and the other families were white. I did not have to have my kids asking me why other ids can have their juice box and not us. I did talk with the property manager David who did offer us free ice cream for the family but it still left a bad taste in our mouth due to actions of one employee. The next day, we saw the same thing which several families with outside food/beverage but no enforcement.

Restaurant- The buffet restaurant had limited choices and for $12.95 for adults a pricey option. The service was great and good views of the lake from everywhere. The Latitude is their upscale restarant, we saw a brochure in our room for the early bird special $9.99 for a 3 course meal. However when we sat down, they told us that the early bird special is no longer available and that housekeeping should have removed it from the room. We had least 2 servers and the maitre d ask for our room number so that they could have housekeeping remove the brochure from our room. Lets just say that we checked out of the room today, and I brought the brochure to the front desk so that the next guest in the room won't have to go through the same thing.

Overall it has a solid potential to be a great getway place with the family. My kids who generally love every waterpark resort do not want to come back.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the waterpark side. Ask for the top floor which is 4th if you dont want to deal wit...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank chicagotraveler9411
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
Thank you for recapping your visit. I wish I had known about the housekeeping and early bird issues when we met about the water park. As I said, we really want your kids to enjoy our resort. Please contact me at info@blueharborresort.com so I can discuss your situation in more detail. Thank you.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We have gone to Blue Harbor for 4 years now, and I really really want to like this place. We have recommended it to our friends, but now I will do so with a few warnings. The best things for us are the room configurations (Kid Aquarium suite is great for a family with 2 kids, Boathouse is perfect for our family of 3 kids), and I love the Aveda spa downstairs. My kids (all under 6) love the waterpark, but I can see it might be boring for older kids. The Latitude restaurant is fine, it's a typical hotel restaurant, food is okay, not outstanding, but we were pleasantly surprised by the wine list, which has some very nice wines that are reasonably priced. Sandra at Latitude was fantastic - we brought our little kids, even though it's a rather upscale place, and she was so kind to them.

There are just a few things about this place that bug me just a tiny bit. As others have commented, the housekeeping is just so so - we haven't had huge issues worth calling the front desk about, but just small things, like they didn't replenish our toilet paper - I had to ask a maid if I could take some from her cart when I saw it in the hallway.

The biggest annoyance is that the fire alarm went off at 6:50 am during our stay. I see from a previous posting from the GM that they have an oversensitive alarm - WHY NOT GET IT FIXED??? Obviously this is a problem. And what really really bugs me, is in my four years staying there, whenever I check out, the people at the front desk NEVER EVER ask me how the stay was. They just rush to charge your card, give you your statement and push you out the door. Last year I wanted to give them some praise on some of the restaurant staff, but they didn't seem to care. This year, I waited for them to ask me about my stay so I could comment/ask about the fire alarm, but again they didn't ask me. they just handed me my statement. So I then brought it up, the girl didn't know what I was talking about (or at least pretended not to), then she started to say "It was an accident" and then the other girl next to her told her, "No, it went off this morning" and I could tell by the way she said it that this is a regular occurance. The first girl then immediately said, "I'll give you $30 off your room". No other apology or explanation given. Clearly they need to figure out the fire alarm - when you have a 10 month old baby, 2.5 year old and 5 year old waking up earlier than you wanted, that pretty much puts a damper on your vacation.

One other tip on this place - unless you like to hear elephants walking above you, request a room on the top floor. Everytime I stay here I keep forgetting to do that, and there is something about the floors that you hear every single footstep above you. On this trip there were some really heavy walkers above us that were walking around at 2 am in the morning and they were doing some serious stomping. On previous trips I could hear the kids staying above me - you can't really complain about that since it is a family resort, but you're better off staying on an upper floor so you don't have to listen to it. However, be warned that the elevators are a bit slow - so that's your trade off (and they removed the grand staircase!!!).

My general vibe on this place is they are great at marketing and getting you in the door, not so great at seeking your feedback and making sure that you're happy once you're there (or retaining existing customers).

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
I'm sorry you experienced our second problem with the fire alarm. It was also the same detector and even though all of our testing had said it was fine, we did replace it. As I mentioned in the previous review that talked about this issue, it's something that we want to be very careful with and I would rather err on the side of being careful when it comes to safety.
In regards to feedback about your stay, we will shortly be rolling out a program that asks every guest for comments that are returned directly to my desk. I glad you like our marketing. I do too, but we are also working toward a goal of exceeding your expectations during your visit and when we do make a mistake, we make sure it's not repeated and it is rectified quickly and to your satisfaction. Thank you for also recognizing Sandra in Latitude. Comments like yours make it much easier for us to demonstrate that service does make a difference. I hope you will give us another chance. This summer we will have our expanded pool deck open along with 2 bocce ball courts and a putting green. Please ask for me when you come back or better yet, let me make a reservation for you.
Schaumburg
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed at the Blue Harbor Resort over spring break. The hotel itself and the view of Lake Michigan is beautiful. It is sad that a hotel that looks so nice has the WORST housekeeping ever. The rooms are very dirty. I am not sure the last time the floors were vacuumed. There were M&M's and crumbs on the floor when we arrive. We are a family with light hair the bathroom and towels had black hair everywhere. It was a little gross. I understand no where is perfect but this was disgusting.
The pool area was very nice and so was the arcade. My son spent a lot of time with both. My son is 14 and seemed to enjoy the slides and lazy river. majority of the people there had younger kids but all were very well behaved.
Order from Nicky's Pizza one night. Reasonable and very good pizza. I would recommend to anyone staying here.
I would NOT recommend the breakfast buffet unless you like powdered eggs and cold pancakes. Not worth the $12.95 they charge. You are better off paying the high price of a muffin or cinnamon roll in the coffee shop.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
You might have seen my previous responses on our breakfast buffet. Obviously we have work to do, but I have confidence that our new Chef and Director of Food and Beverage are correcting it. I'm sorry our room inspection procedures failed during your visit. Yes, we have been very busy, but that is no excuse for not having an impeccably clean room. Thank you again for taking the time to comment. We do learn from them.
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We just returned from Blue Harbor, having stayed 4/1 to 4/4. Our kids are 6 and 7, and we traveled with two other families with children ranging from 3 to 6. We stayed in the 4 BR villa and it was the perfect amount of space for all of us and it slept us comfortably. Note that this villa is not connected to the water park, but the walk outside was very short and you can request a villa close to the water park. The huge positives were the fantastic view (lake view is definitely worth the upgrade) and the large number of lifeguards that were ever watchful and made sure safety was a top priority. We felt very comfortable with our children at the water park and didn't have to worry one bit. The food at the water park was standard fare; there was a fairly good variety and it was very convenient. They serve beer and drinks like pina coladas and margaritas. I think it is a perfect place for families with children under 12. As for the negatives, the adults wished the hot tub was actually hot, since it felt more like a warm bath, but on the plus side it wasn't so hot that we had to get out right away. We ate one night at one of the restaurants and the fish tacos were terrific. We also met the manager of the hotel and he is aware of some of the customer service issues past reviewers have touched upon. We experienced some issues that were simply the result of some employees being misinformed and in need of additional training, but we believe that is forthcoming and it certainly wouldn't hold us back from returning. Next time we will stay in the presidential suite. David was kind enough to give us a tour and the view is breathtaking and the rooms are charming. The hotel is undergoing renovation, and we look forward to seeing the changes next time we come. Families who book here should recognize that this isn't the Dells, but that, to us, is a positive. It was less crowded and more laid back, and we all had a thoroughly good time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Love2Travel3434
It was great meeting you and your friends. I appreciate the nice comments and I look forward to visiting Appleton soon! Look forward to seeing you and your group again!
Lake Zurich, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Was at Blue Harbor from 3/30-4/1. Had a good time. Our kids are 14 and 12 so they only could spend n hour or two in the water park. Just a bit to slow for them but many younger kids were having a ball. Spent a couple of evenings in the bar and Spencer and Sam were great. Staff at front desk and pool treated everyone great. I would definitely recommend Blue Harbor for families with kids under 12 or couples who just like to chill as you can relax in the lounge or outside over looking Lake Michigan with a cocktail. Only negative I have is the cigarette butts outside in the grasss. Just outside room 112, the sky was raining butts. I counted over 50 cig butts in a 10 X 5 space outside our room How about grabbing a cup, fill with a little water and put your butts out in there instead of flipping them off the balcony?

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
I saw your comment about the cigarette butts. We cleaned immediately. It's a process we need to make sure we address daily. We used to keep ashtrays mounted on the balcony railing, but after non smoker's feedback we removed them. I agree with you on disposing of them, but at the end of the day we just have to do a better job of picking them up. I hope you can come back this summer. Sheboygan is a great place to enjoy the lakefront!
Thanks again for taking the time to comment.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I will start off by saying that this hotel is nice. It is a beautifully located right on Lake Michigan. The hotel is/was going through some major renovations as I understand, so with that considered, I am going to cut some slack to this hotel. We knew going into this that we were not going to the Dells, but I admit, our expectations may have been set based on the hotels we frequent there. First impression of the lobby was wonderful. Check in at 2:45 was a breeze ( we requested an early check-in) and we went right to our room. For being Spring Break we were surprised that it wasnt more crowded but we were happy that it wasnt crazy. Our room was ok. It was on the first floor, with a nice little patio. But right away I noticed dozens of cigarette butts on the patio/grass and that was a huge turn off. Our room looked at the over sized garbage cans and parking lot and we did request a room with a view. Kind of disappointed that request wasnt met, seeing how not crowded the hotel was. The room seemed to have nice linens, and was overall pretty clean. I noticed the bath tub, which is huge, had some lingering hairs ( YUCK!) and the mirrors were a little dirty with water spots. There is a new LCD tv in the room which is nice, but for a room with a seperate seating area, we were disappointed the room didnt have 2 tvs (one for the bed side and one for the sofa side). It made things difficult for us at night with my daughter trying to watch cartoons and us wanting to watch a movie or something. Upon arriving to our room we wanted to get ice in our ice bucket. We couldnt find a place to get ice anywhere. We called the front desk and room service 4 times before anyone answered to offer assistance. Not too happy about the lack of customer service in that department. Most employees are friendly though and say "hi" to you as you pass by. We did enjoy the water park. It is small but fun for a little one ( I would say 6 or under). The lines move fast for the few water slides and the water temp. is warm. I did notice some mold in between the grouting of the floor in the water park in several places which was kind of disturbing. They also slack a little in overall table availability. It was almost impossible to find a table and chairs to put our towels and things down at and like I said, it was not busy. We did have the breakfast buffett in the morning and we were satisified. Small omlette station, pancakes ( very dry) bacon, hash browns, the usual. Drinks are included in the buffett price, which was a plus. Overall, the hotel is nice, but not so sure we will be returning. We found ourselves a little bored with the water park ( small lazy river, no wave pool) We might need to stick with the Dells for some indoor waterpark family fun.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view or you will be looking at the parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!