“Hotel with so much potential.”
Review of Blue Harbor Resort

Blue Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Schaumburg
“Hotel with so much potential.”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed at the Blue Harbor Resort over spring break. The hotel itself and the view of Lake Michigan is beautiful. It is sad that a hotel that looks so nice has the WORST housekeeping ever. The rooms are very dirty. I am not sure the last time the floors were vacuumed. There were M&M's and crumbs on the floor when we arrive. We are a family with light hair the bathroom and towels had black hair everywhere. It was a little gross. I understand no where is perfect but this was disgusting.
The pool area was very nice and so was the arcade. My son spent a lot of time with both. My son is 14 and seemed to enjoy the slides and lazy river. majority of the people there had younger kids but all were very well behaved.
Order from Nicky's Pizza one night. Reasonable and very good pizza. I would recommend to anyone staying here.
I would NOT recommend the breakfast buffet unless you like powdered eggs and cold pancakes. Not worth the $12.95 they charge. You are better off paying the high price of a muffin or cinnamon roll in the coffee shop.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
You might have seen my previous responses on our breakfast buffet. Obviously we have work to do, but I have confidence that our new Chef and Director of Food and Beverage are correcting it. I'm sorry our room inspection procedures failed during your visit. Yes, we have been very busy, but that is no excuse for not having an impeccably clean room. Thank you again for taking the time to comment. We do learn from them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We just returned from Blue Harbor, having stayed 4/1 to 4/4. Our kids are 6 and 7, and we traveled with two other families with children ranging from 3 to 6. We stayed in the 4 BR villa and it was the perfect amount of space for all of us and it slept us comfortably. Note that this villa is not connected to the water park, but the walk outside was very short and you can request a villa close to the water park. The huge positives were the fantastic view (lake view is definitely worth the upgrade) and the large number of lifeguards that were ever watchful and made sure safety was a top priority. We felt very comfortable with our children at the water park and didn't have to worry one bit. The food at the water park was standard fare; there was a fairly good variety and it was very convenient. They serve beer and drinks like pina coladas and margaritas. I think it is a perfect place for families with children under 12. As for the negatives, the adults wished the hot tub was actually hot, since it felt more like a warm bath, but on the plus side it wasn't so hot that we had to get out right away. We ate one night at one of the restaurants and the fish tacos were terrific. We also met the manager of the hotel and he is aware of some of the customer service issues past reviewers have touched upon. We experienced some issues that were simply the result of some employees being misinformed and in need of additional training, but we believe that is forthcoming and it certainly wouldn't hold us back from returning. Next time we will stay in the presidential suite. David was kind enough to give us a tour and the view is breathtaking and the rooms are charming. The hotel is undergoing renovation, and we look forward to seeing the changes next time we come. Families who book here should recognize that this isn't the Dells, but that, to us, is a positive. It was less crowded and more laid back, and we all had a thoroughly good time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Love2Travel3434
It was great meeting you and your friends. I appreciate the nice comments and I look forward to visiting Appleton soon! Look forward to seeing you and your group again!
Lake Zurich, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Was at Blue Harbor from 3/30-4/1. Had a good time. Our kids are 14 and 12 so they only could spend n hour or two in the water park. Just a bit to slow for them but many younger kids were having a ball. Spent a couple of evenings in the bar and Spencer and Sam were great. Staff at front desk and pool treated everyone great. I would definitely recommend Blue Harbor for families with kids under 12 or couples who just like to chill as you can relax in the lounge or outside over looking Lake Michigan with a cocktail. Only negative I have is the cigarette butts outside in the grasss. Just outside room 112, the sky was raining butts. I counted over 50 cig butts in a 10 X 5 space outside our room How about grabbing a cup, fill with a little water and put your butts out in there instead of flipping them off the balcony?

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
I saw your comment about the cigarette butts. We cleaned immediately. It's a process we need to make sure we address daily. We used to keep ashtrays mounted on the balcony railing, but after non smoker's feedback we removed them. I agree with you on disposing of them, but at the end of the day we just have to do a better job of picking them up. I hope you can come back this summer. Sheboygan is a great place to enjoy the lakefront!
Thanks again for taking the time to comment.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I will start off by saying that this hotel is nice. It is a beautifully located right on Lake Michigan. The hotel is/was going through some major renovations as I understand, so with that considered, I am going to cut some slack to this hotel. We knew going into this that we were not going to the Dells, but I admit, our expectations may have been set based on the hotels we frequent there. First impression of the lobby was wonderful. Check in at 2:45 was a breeze ( we requested an early check-in) and we went right to our room. For being Spring Break we were surprised that it wasnt more crowded but we were happy that it wasnt crazy. Our room was ok. It was on the first floor, with a nice little patio. But right away I noticed dozens of cigarette butts on the patio/grass and that was a huge turn off. Our room looked at the over sized garbage cans and parking lot and we did request a room with a view. Kind of disappointed that request wasnt met, seeing how not crowded the hotel was. The room seemed to have nice linens, and was overall pretty clean. I noticed the bath tub, which is huge, had some lingering hairs ( YUCK!) and the mirrors were a little dirty with water spots. There is a new LCD tv in the room which is nice, but for a room with a seperate seating area, we were disappointed the room didnt have 2 tvs (one for the bed side and one for the sofa side). It made things difficult for us at night with my daughter trying to watch cartoons and us wanting to watch a movie or something. Upon arriving to our room we wanted to get ice in our ice bucket. We couldnt find a place to get ice anywhere. We called the front desk and room service 4 times before anyone answered to offer assistance. Not too happy about the lack of customer service in that department. Most employees are friendly though and say "hi" to you as you pass by. We did enjoy the water park. It is small but fun for a little one ( I would say 6 or under). The lines move fast for the few water slides and the water temp. is warm. I did notice some mold in between the grouting of the floor in the water park in several places which was kind of disturbing. They also slack a little in overall table availability. It was almost impossible to find a table and chairs to put our towels and things down at and like I said, it was not busy. We did have the breakfast buffett in the morning and we were satisified. Small omlette station, pancakes ( very dry) bacon, hash browns, the usual. Drinks are included in the buffett price, which was a plus. Overall, the hotel is nice, but not so sure we will be returning. We found ourselves a little bored with the water park ( small lazy river, no wave pool) We might need to stick with the Dells for some indoor waterpark family fun.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view or you will be looking at the parking lot.
Reviewed March 30, 2012

After having come to blue harbor 6 spring breaks in a row, we were looking to our same great experience. This was the worst and most expensive time we have had here. The customer service was horrific and most employees were unhelpful in general. We were locked out of our room 3 times with wet kids. A fire alarm was pulled at 530 am on our first night with no explanation, our room was never serviced by housekeeping, except new soap and new towels were left. The snack bar only gave us our partial order of lunch and they would not even allow water to be brought in from the outside! The rates have never been higher than thus year due to "remodeling " which consists of a new kibbutz, new carpets that smell of chemicals, and new bed linens. We will never stay here again unless the rates go down and customer service is improved.

• Stayed March 2012
5 Thank tplatt73
BlueHarborManager, General Manager at Blue Harbor Resort, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
We are sorry for the fire alarm that was caused by an "over-sensitive" smoke detector. I also regret you did not enjoy your experience. It would appear your lock had a faulty battery. There is a procedure to change these on a regular basis but obviously we missed yours. In terms of rate and service compared to past years, in almost all cases our rates are fairly level with last year. There are days when we have very high demand for certain room types that we increase rates on those. If you would please contact info@blueharborresort.com, I would like to learn more about your snack bar experience. Did we charge you full price for a partial order? If so that will be refunded. Our renovation also included all new mattresses, televisions, and linens for guest rooms. I hope you will give us another try.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We have gone to the Blue Harbor Resort for the past 5 years and have told numerous friends about the great experiences we have had there. Our positive reviews of the resort have translated into many of our friends coming with us or going on their own. One year ago the ‘Great Wolf Lodge Company’ sold their 56 million dollar property to a venture capitalist group for about four million dollars. It was a great buy for the venture capitalist group, but it is obvious that the quality at the Blue Harbor Resort is not what it used to be. The motto of a new shade of blue should be renamed a new shade of trying to pinch pennies. The new remodeling done in the lobby has become minimalist at best. The beautiful water fountain that greeted you as you walked in is gone, as is the gigantic aquarium located in front of one of their restaurants, the wonderful staircase that ascended to the second floor has also been removed. The milk and cookie story telling time that was held on the stairs is also history. The bell hop stand has also been removed. On the Rocks Bar used to be a two story bar/restaurant with a lighthouse staircase. That is gone as well… Oh, they also charge a resort fee now… (I’m not sure for what, but they do… Perhaps it’s for the thirteen dollar per day wifi.)

In the water park you will notice that there are water cannon tubes that are broken making water cannons inoperable. The lily pad crossing has its foam cushions ripped off by the lip of the pool. The snake that you can climb on in the main pool is missing sections of its tail, and there are grates by the edge of the pool that are cracked. There are pieces of gum everywhere and place needs a thorough cleaning. The arcade on the second floor of the water park is now gone and the carpeting on the second floor landing of the water park is in desperate need of replacement. The kids spa is also gone… One year of ownership and zero improvements in the water park.

The main gift shop is a shell of what it used to be and so is the ice cream shop in the hotel as well. We ate at the Beacon Restaurant for dinner and the service was so slow that the manager attempted to comp us a drink. The food was average at best and I can usually eat anything. Stay away from their fried chicken… How do you mess that up?
The rooms need new carpeting. The LCD mounted on the walls are nice, but you can now hear what your neighbor is watching.

Finally, check your final bill… Most hotels take your credit card for incidentals, but Blue Harbor now places a hundred dollar charge on your credit card. I looked at my credit card website a few days after we got home and called Blue Harbor. The explanation that I was given was that they expect most people to charge at least a 100 dollars to their room. We paid for our bills with another credit card. The hotel then reverses the 100 charge after you leave taking your credit card a few days to process that. That was not explained at check-in…
So, if you have never been there before, you may not notice many of the changes, but for individuals like myself, the changes have been disappointing. In my opinion, they took a really nice resort and have cut corners at the expense of service. The resort is average at best now, but the prices have gone up… We probably won’t be back until the property is sold to another venture capitalist…

4 Thank iowahawkeye73
I regret that you find our new resort unimproved from the old version. You are correct that the resort was purchased, but it was not by "venture capitalists". It was purchased by 2 individuals that run family owned businesses. Yes, some costs have gone up in some cases, but only where necessary to attempt to restore the property to a reasonable profitability level. The resort has lost millions for years and was in danger of closing. We do appreciate long term guests like you and I would like to invite you to participate in a customer focus group to discuss our continuous improvement process at the resort. If you are willing to do so, please email me at info@blueharborresort.com. I would look forward to your input.
Harvard, Illinois
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay@Blue Harbor. We reserved Boat house suite for half the price that we would normally pay in the Dells. The room was nicely sized with tall ceilings, firm but comfy bed, good linens, and clean. My husband always does an initial once-over to see how many faults he can find and found the screen door off track (which he fixed) and they supplied 4 towels for a room that sleeps 5. When they delivered the extra towel, they actually brought for extra towels. The kids had their own room with a bunkbed and a single, along with their own TV. The waterpark was nice but then again my children are ages 8, 5, and 3. I think it will only be useful for another 2 years for my family. The tot area needs a little redo; I saw some corners of rust. Seating is very limited due to space, as we were there over spring break. The new Latitude 41 restaurant was wonderful. it was a bit upscale but they accommodated the kids fine. we weren't very excited about the other eating establishments on site, so we found some others great restaurants in town. within a mile we loved The Duke of Devon, Field to Fork, and a little further out is Harry's Diner.
No complaints with staff @ Blue Harbor. We I had a great extended weekend.

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for your nice comments! Another reviewer recently mentioned some water park areas that need attention. We will be repairing all in our annual maintenance shutdown between May 7 and 15. Thank you again and we hope you visit again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!