“Such a cool property & location--but pretty terrible room”
Review of Blue Harbor Resort

Blue Harbor Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Such a cool property & location--but pretty terrible room”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Here for conference so didn't try out the water park or get to enjoy any of the fabulous Lake Michigan options. Conference rooms were average, temperature a bit ill-controlled though. Great views of the lake from my room & some of the facilities. Room was dated and dirty--crumbs all over the floor, lots of sticky surfaces, kind of didn't even want to think about the bed. Furnishings & tv old & worn, no internet. All I'm after is a clean room & keep getting disappointed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank hannah619

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Here every month for a couple 1or2 nights.. Being close to a couple of my favorite restaurants and Zieggy's a great little local pub, it's long been my choice.., they've lost attention to detail and seem to be cutting corners... Too bad, nice place... Hope this was just one shot deal... Next time ill have to go back to "The Inn on Woodlake"

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Daveandshirley
Random Lake, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 7, 2011

This has been the third year that we've gone to Blue harbor for a pleasure vacation. In the past we have been extremely satisfied - until this trip... first, there was a used towel on the floor behind the bathroom door when we arrived. Perhaps I should have asked for another room right then and there. There was debris (goldfish crackers and coffee container lids under the sofa... the pull-out was full of crumbs when we opened the pull-out... there was either dried blood or feces on the underside of the bedspread... my daughter found a used band-aid stuck to the wall above her head (we stayed in an Aquarium Suite) at first we thought was part of the decor, but it was a real used band-aid... this morning I went for a mug for a cup of coffee and dang if there wasn't a ring around the inside of the mug!!! Checked the remaining three and they all were dirty - not dust - but dirty - used!!! I turned in my three room keys with a host of items found through-out the room as I told them I will never be back. They were 'sorry' for our dissatisfaction.

Okay - that's the room... head to the pool area. I've always been impressed - that failed this trip also - the wad of gum sitting on the ledge of the hot tub when we arrived on Tuesday was still sitting there when left today (Thursday).

Now head to their sweet shop - I always treat the kids to ice cream - still no complaints with that, however, they have a pastry case and I witnessed a bug, whether ant, small fly, what have you crawling on a croissant.

Lastly amenities... can't swim forever. But don't go looking for the arcade - it's been closed since May 9th "until further notice" - but you don't find that out until you take a walk through the pool and up the stairs and read the sign on the door. So we thought we'd give the 'Crew Club' a chance... that was closed also - not sure what hours they are operating - best catch them at one of their events out side.

All in all - they lost a repeat customer.

Room Tip: Cityside is cheaper than Lakeside; Take the bounceback rate for $99
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Cosarahdy
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Our family of four booked online. When we went and were charmed. We spent a day at the beach and walked the boardwalk. We spent a day and a few hours here or there at the waterpark. We raved so much that our family booked and invited us up to share their condo last year. We brought our fishing poles and bikes this time. So many people have raved about our pics on facebook that I can count on two hands how many of our friends have now gone. I'll post a couple without my kiddos in them. We stayed in an aquarium room. It gave us just enough privacy to put the kids to bed and enjoy the lake view. The minifridge was a great convience too. We even squeezed in a romantic dinner. The kids loved the Crew Club, storytime, and bonfires. We met some great friends and got some great family pics. Blue Harbor often emails and mail coupons. But, I've found the Stay3 promotion on the site to be a great deal! We'd go here more often if it was in the budget. I'm really searching for a way to make it more affordable so we can go every year.

The cons: I'd love to see more or bigger towels or somewhere to hang your suits in the room. We'll probably do condos when we can get a big enough group to keep food expenses down. I had some sticker shock at how our meals at the Rusty Anchor added up. Blue Harbor is HORRIBLE at returning emails. Although, you can book online and they email coupons. I guess no one is maining the contact form for their website. You can't request a patio or balcony online. I'd book the aquarium vs. the boat depending on which one has a patio available next week. Alas, I've sent multiple emails and no response from Blue Harbor. I will have to call again but it's really hard for me to make telephone calls during business hours right now. Sigh.

Room Tip: I guess it's better to telephone but online booking works good too
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank momdadgirls
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed in a villa for 5 days/4 nights with another family. All together there were 3 children (under 3) and 4 adults. There was so much to do (beach, pool, waterpark, parade) and the room was great! Had everything we needed including a washer/dryer. The fireworks were awesome and perfect for family. We layed a blanket out on the grass right by the lake and had a perfect view. Not to many people and an easy walk (not to mention beautiful) to and
from our room. We will definitely go back next year! It's a great place for families.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank 74747474
naples fl
Reviewed June 15, 2011

I love the design of the hotel. Charming. It looks over the water and is quite beautiful. The hotel offers a indoor pool for the kids and mine was thrilled with all that it offered. The lifegaurds are plentiful. No one got sick on the water, unlike a review that was submitted earlier. Someone also complained of the bed being lump. Ours was not at all. I did however see them remove 3 of them during the stay. So maybe they are replacing them. I love the layout of the room. Seperated by a half wall it gave privacy to the kid. Larger rooms were themed and I say one from the hall and it looked great and fun. They had many activities for the kids to do. Our room was on the 4th floor and had large vaulted ceilings, it was a great feel to the room. Staff was very nice and helpful in many situations.
Worth the 101.00 that we paid..such an amazing value. LOVED It

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pammer22
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We've been going to this resort for the last five years, once or twice a summer for a long weekend. We always enjoy it, and now that we have two young kids (a 2 year old and a 1 year old), we have found that they enjoy it too. The waterpark is a lot of fun for them, although they do get tired in about an hour and a half. They particularly enjoy the lazy river, the big pool, and the little water geysers in the ground underneath the slides. Our kids are too small for the water slides. If you have really young ones, make sure you bring floaters or tubes for them! The resort's tubes are adult-sized and much too big for the kids.

Depending on who we're going with, we stay in either a two bedroom or four bedroom house on the property. This last time we stayed in a four bedroom. One thing I have notice over the years is that the quality of the houses is slowly deteriorating. You'll run across something that doesn't work (i.e. a coffee maker or something small like that). Also, the kitchens in the houses are always missing something. We typically bring some food along, and they just don't have all of the utensils, etc., anymore, like they used to have. For example, the house we stayed in had no spoons -- not a single one. Also, the resort staff doesn't always pick up the garbage like they're supposed to, even if you follow directions and leave it where you're supposed to! We had a lot of diapers, so I wasn't too happy about this. The wifi is VERY slow -- just a heads-up if you're planning on trying to work. However, the rooms are very clean and the houses are a nice size.

But overall, we always enjoy our trips here! When the weather is nice, it's usually nice on the beach (although we've never been on this beach with the kids yet). The sweet shop is pretty good. We had lunch at the Rusty Anchor on this last trip. The burgers were good, and the kids' food was good too. Our kids are too young for the children's activities, so I can't really comment on those.

Overall, this is a nice place to go with the family!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank whitesandbeach
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#4 of 11 in Sheboygan
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan

Been to Blue Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!