“Nice Surprise!”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
London
“Nice Surprise!”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

My brother lives a mile away and I had seen this Motel many times but never visited. This time I was with a group of friends so booked two very well-priced rooms. Had no idea what to expect and was truly surprised. The staff are warm and welcoming (OK standard for small-town Wisconsin) and the rooms were immaculate, well-outfitted and comfortable. For families, there is a remarkably nice indoor pool area, which we had no time to use. Although seemingly stranded in the middle of "nowhere" about five miles south of Sheboygan, it is only five minutes drive to the spectacular Terry Andrae (Lake Michigan lakeside) Park...a great place for a morning run or hike. Great value for money and true midwestern warmth.

Room Tip: Farmland in every direction so no need to loose sleep about getting the perfect "view"
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank UKbanker33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed November 29, 2011

This was my 2nd time staying at this hotel. We had a suite...which is essentially a room with a microwave, fridge, and pullout sofa. The room was large, the bed and pillows were awesome. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The pool is much bigger than most hotel pools, and comes complete with a waterside, and fountains. The hottub. Is also larger than most. The entire hotel seems newer or very well kept. The price was very reasonable. There is an in room electronic safe. This hotel and a large Citgo convenience store are the only businesses at this exit off of the interstate. We didn't find that to be a problem since ample dining was less than 2 miles away. Try Gosse's At The Northwestern House for the best brats or burgers you've ever had.... They also have homemade tortes... Delicious and very inexpensive. Fed 13 people...dinner, drinks, desserts and the bill was less than 140 dollars after tax. Also try Wiedemanns sports center for great open faced steak sandwiches, nice sports bar and grill.

Room Tip: Get the suite...worth the price difference.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Shawano, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We recently stayed at the Sleep Inn In Sheboygan. The employees there made us feel so welcome and the hospitality was great. We don't have credit cards and had previously stopped at another hotel in the area and they made us feel very cheap because we wanted to use cash. When we got to the Sleep Inn, we asked their employee Chris if we could you cash and he said, "no problem." We had such a great stay. It was quiet and we left very relaxed and rested. Great place to stay!! Loretta

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Been staying here every August for the past few years on business. This hotel is extremely clean, staff is friendly, and it is very quiet. It is a few miles south of anything to eat, but there is a gas station / convenience store right off the property if you need something in a pinch.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 26, 2011

My wife and I were getting married the weekend of our stay at a beautiful state park very nearby. From our reservation process to our checkout everything was absolutely stellar. The manager and the sales manager were both very friendly and helpful to our needs. We had quite a few things going on. From bringing a trailer loaded with wedding gear and hauling crates of favors and decorations to our room there never once was any complaint from our hosts. They actually loaned us a cooler for transporting food to the park and of course we filled up on the ice. Overall it was a perfect fit for what our needs were. The rate was also very affordable for the 3 nights we stayed. The continental breakfast was more than ample unless you went down late. The hot tub and swimming pool along with the water slide were a major bonus for our 8 year old daughter.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Our corporate travel agent chose this motel for us. Unless price is your only concern, I'd pass.

It's just south of Sheboygan, but the only thing you can walk to is a Citgo truck stop (open 24 hours). You have to drive one exit north for everything else, and there's motels at that exit of the same price as this one (I did not stay in any of them though, so I can't tell you if they are better).

The first thing they do is automatically charge you $1.50 for an "in-roof safe". They are happy to take it off, but it's clearly put there because most people won't ask.

The lobby is small, but ok. There's an old-fashioned TV there and about 4 chairs. There is a computer and printer in the lobby that serves as a business center.
The front doors do not automatically open, so its a bit of a struggle if you have lots of luggage.

Do not stay here if you like a motel with a fitness room. The "fitness center" had 1 stationary bike, 1 elliptical machine, and 1 Nordic Track treadmill. The treadmill was the only piece worth anything, and so of course getting time on it was a challenge. I never did get the bike to work, as words on the buttons were worn off. Both the bike and elliptical machine HAD NO PLACE TO PUT WATER. So hopefully you don't actually need to hydrate while working out, as it's pretty difficult to hold a water bottle and operate everything at the same time. This is the single biggest complaint I have. Absolutely incredible that they think this is ok. The Kohler Park is nearby (maybe 1-2 miles), and several people worked out by running there. The roads around there are very lightly travelled, so this might be an option.

The breakfast was nothing to write home about - 2 cereals, waffle maker, etc. Typical motel fare. The breakfast area is a separate room.

There is an indoor pool, but I did not visit it.

My particular room (Rm 180) was very large as it was a jacuzzi suite. Big jacuzzi tub right in the bedroom, with large shower in the bathroom. There was plenty of bathroom counter space. Hot water did not seem to be a problem. There is not a separate switch for the bathroom fan, so it gets noisy even if you just go in there to brush your teeth.

There was a table and desk, so no problem with space. However, there is only wireless internet. I didn't have too much trouble, but several of my colleagues did. There is only one electrical outlet at the desk. My desk chair was broken, and I was practically sitting on the ground. I called the front desk, and they immediately brought me a new one that worked. I learned later that several people had broken desk chairs.

The air conditioner did get cold. It's a typical window type, and it blows the curtains. I did have a small refrigerator and microwave, but apparently most of the rooms don't.

The TV is an old-fashioned type (not a flat panel). The first night the remote control was very hard to use. I left it at the front desk the next morning so they could put fresh batteries in it, but apparently they lost it. The girl on the evening shift acted like it was too bad, but I kept the pressure on and they finally came up with a working remote.

The walls are very thin. Be prepared to hear footsteps above you constantly, as well as arguments and passion from the room next door. Fairly clearly too.

The Verizon cell service was absolutely terrible. Several times I had dropped calls, very low signal, and had to stand by the window or out in the parking lot to make a call.

The staff was friendly and mostly helpful. They tried hard to overcome things that were not their fault. But the motel owner could really use an upgrade all over.

Oh, and there was a pair of pajama bottoms in my room (apparently from the previous guest) when I checked in.

Room Tip: Top rooms have less noise from footsteps overhead.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lyndapolk
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I've travelled frequently and I can state without hesitation that the Sleep Inn & Suites in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, has one of the most professional and courteous staffs at any location I've been. With smiles and a "can-do" attitude, this establishment has assured that I will return in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family