“Wonderful, no matter your age”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bookworm Gardens

Bookworm Gardens
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Sheboygan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Open seasonally, May 1- Oct. 31. Botanic Garden based on children's literature in Sheboygan, WI.
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Wonderful, no matter your age”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

I *loved* visiting this place and we had no children in our party. It's hard for me to imagine who would not be delighted by all the fun that makes up these gardens. The number of children's books that come to life in the various settings is truly impressive. I didn't recognize all of the books featured, but the gardens gave me a sense of all of them. There are wonderful different pockets of areas that one can explore in relative quiet and solitude even if there are others in other parts of the gardens. The staff was super friendly. I wish there was something like this near where I live, I'd love to have the opportunity to visit more often. I can only imagine how tremendously fun this would be for children. Don't skip it just because you may not have kids with you, you will enjoy it regardless. And if you do have children with you then it is an even bigger no-brainer.

Worthy of note is that although the store is only open until 4pm, they do keep the gates open until dusk so no need to rush through even if you arrive close to 4.

Visited June 2014

“Fascinating Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

It was a great Saturday with sunshine strolling around in Bookworm Gardens. My husband and I were amazed with this place. It was incredible, fascinating, and a creative garden. I was so impressed, and I felt as if I was in a time machine as I acted like a young child again.

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 217 helpful votes
“mini Disney land”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

My wife and I pass by the Garden on our way to UW Sheboygan. When it was first being built, the impression was that it was a project by people with too much money and too much time on their hands. It was a yuppie vision of what nature should look like. They destroyed a fine wildlife area and built ,what can best be described as, a whimsical wonderland. Stone dinosaur, whirling colorful things, pathways through whimsy are waiting to entertain families with kids who like "safe" nature. I wasn't overly thrilled about the habitat destruction to build the place. But I have to bury the curmudgeon side of me and admit that the place is cute; and kids seem to love it. Just because I like my nature undeveloped and dangerous, doesn't mean there aren't people out there who love this type of place. It is family friendly for those who have young children. For that I give it an extra star. It's just not my cup of tea.

3 Thank Calicoboy
Evergreen, Colorado
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Grand Daughters Loved It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

Nanna and I took the grand daughters here on a cool May 14th. Just something about this place that little kids love. Interesting for the parents as well. Might be better in a few more weeks when more plants are growing and more flowers blooming. Found a geocache where we were there. No fee is required but we gladly gave a donation.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Perfect for quality time with kids!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

I took my grandchildren twice last year and cannot wait to go back again. They love this place so much it is a struggle to get them to leave. Had to bribe them with promise of ice cream last time. My daughter who is a second grade teacher came and was also very impressed. We live about an hour away so it's a short road trip but very much worth the drive.
The ground are beautifully groomed and the staff are exceptional. I wanted to know the name a particular plant and when one of the staff didn't know, she went and found a supervisor that identified the plant and told me all about how to obtain it and how to grow it in my garden. This is truly a great experience for families. Everywhere you look there are groups of kids and adults reading books, enjoying the scenery and participating in the activities. If you enjoy spending quality time with your children or grandchildren, DO NOT MISS THIS EXPERIENCE!!!
Please be generous with your contribution so that this incredible experience can continue to delight families.

Visited August 2013