“Great Family Vacation”

GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Sheboygan
“Great Family Vacation”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We rented 2 rooms, with one being a two bedroom suite. We had a great time staying here. The rooms were clean and updated. The kitchen was a blessing to have, especially if you're like me and get tired of spending the money to eat out all of the time with 8 people. I'd rather spend my money having fun. They offer a great breakfast, with waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, toast, juice, yogurt, milk and above average coffee. Only a short walk to some of the shops downtown, if you like to walk, otherwise it's just a short drive. Wanted to stay here again in August, but they didn't have three rooms available, so I guess we'll try somewhere else. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Jason W, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear tedelker,

It's wonderful to hear that you had such a great stay! It's also great to hear that you enjoyed our kitchens that we have in every room. They can be handy, especially when there are many family members wishing to get together. It's also great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our free breakfast while you were here as well. I wish we could accommodate you in August! We hope to see you the next time we aren't so full! Thank you so much!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Omaha Area
Reviewed July 11, 2014

The on line reservation and check in process was very smooth, although I was told upon check in that the spa was broken but would be fixed and running by the next day. This was the third hotel in a row for us where the spa was broken and I commented on that. Obviously this was a fluke and not there fault, but as we began to discuss this and other things, the other check in girl who was not officially helping us kept interrupting the other girl who was and kind of talking loud and I felt bad for the newer girl who was helping me as she was doing a great job.

Room was fantastic - clean - appealing - comfortable - bed was awesome - really enjoyed the room. Wish I could say the same for the breakfast the next day.

We came in at 8:15 a.m.and they were out of lots of things including donuts and sweet rolls, coffee, meat items, biscuits and gravy, and the waffle maker was not working properly and people were having trouble with it and finding any food. There were only a couple of yogurts and basically very little food to choose from. I did get eggs, but they were cold - and I mean cold -

I normally don't complain but I this time I did to the front desk and a male manager was out there pretty fast, but he blamed the crowd that came rather then taking ownership of the problem. A great manager would take the blame - but this guy blamed the holiday weekend, and the small preparing kitchen and that so many people came to eat at once - but a good manager would have seen that his hotel was full, and made arrangements in advance for the morning rush - just saying - and in reality there weren't that many people there at once as several of the tables were actually empty.

The next morning the breakfast was much better, but the second day they were out of juice and only had one donut left. But the rest of the items were well stocked and the food was hot. However, the spa was still broken when we checked out, rather than being fixed like I was told.

I also actually had to check out at the front desk as one of the managers took the night shift but did not print and process and distribute the receipts under the door like most hotels do. I asked the check out lady about this and she blamed him - stating he was not familiar with the process. Seemed strange that a manager is not familiar with how the hotel is run.

The outside was very nice and the grounds were attractive and inviting. The wi-fi worked great inside the hotel and the kitchen area was perfect for our needs. Overall, it was okay and I would return again, but I was mostly dissatisfied with the breakfast. The hotel is within easy walking distance of many downtown shops and even the harbor if you want to hike a bit further. The parking lot is well lit and secure. Everything outside is stop notch. Our house keeping crew was also excellent. I met them and they were very courteous.

Room Tip: pool is very small - so if you are bringing kids, just know that it really is tiny. But they have s...
ATL
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The Grandstay is about 4 blocks from Lake Michigan and right on the main drag in Sheboygan. 8th street had several good restaurants that I'll mention later. Other than the resort in Kohler, and the resort on Lake Michigan, which are much more expensive, this would be the best place to stay in Sheboygan. Rooms are suites, so plenty of room with pretty much a complete kitchen. I had asked for a king bed, but I'm not sure they have one. Our kids stayed in a double bed room with a pull out couch. Staff was really nice. Great running in any direction along the Lake. YMCA is a couple of blocks away so I got a swim in as well.

The only downside has more to do with me than the Grandstay. Their free breakfast is on the lower end of the scale. It was pretty crowded though, so some may like it. Only one staff person working it and she couldn't keep up. When we come back to Sheboygan we will stay here again.

We were in Sheboygan over the July 4th weekend which was also my wife's parents 90th and 89th birthdays. 4th of July parade in Sheboygan was classic and we had a blast watching it. Really eclectic coffee shop called Paradigm just down the street. Kind of a hippie joint. Really good coffeeand breakfast burrito. Best breakfast place in town though is Field to Fork on 8th Street near the river. For the best wings this side of Taco Mac, Legend Larry's is award winning. Unless your into pain, just get the medium. My son got hot and was suffering. We ordered the "Scary Larry" just to try it. Beyond painful.

1 Thank Allgoodbugman
Jason W, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Grandstay! Thank you also for mentioning our local establishments that are award winning. I will agree with you by saying the wings are hot. We are glad the location and area were very accommodating to your family and yourself! We are glad we could help you enjoy your 4th of July and wife's parents birthdays. Thanks for choosing Grandstay!
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We had a large group if several families stay at the hotel for the 4th of July. It is perfectly located for all of those activities because we could walk to the parade and lake without a problem. Rooms are big for families. Breakfast was very crowded and food was frequently running out so you just have to be patient.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for choosing Grandstay for your 4th of July! We are glad that you found the location convenient and the rooms spacious for your family!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My recent stay at the Grandstay property in Sheboygan was excellent for the price! I was just passing through town and decided to stay at this wonderful hotel. The room was immaculate just like the lobby and breakfast area. I've never stayed at a place so clean with such friendly housekeepers. The front desk staff were just as friendly and very welcoming. My room felt very much like a home with the full kitchen and living areas. The breakfast in the morning offered many different delicious options for being a continental, I've never seen anything like it for free! With all the great amenities in the back yard such as a full size shuffleboard, fire place, and putting green, I will be sure to come back and visit, only this time with my grandkids!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you choosing Grandstay for your recent visit. We are glad you noticed our friendly staff and the hard work our housekeepers do with a smile. We are very glad that we could make you feel as home as possible, that is our goal here at Grandstay. Thanks again for your visit!
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed July 8, 2014

The suite we were given was lovely, with a separate bedroom, a comfortable queen size bed and two TVs. My daughter and her teenagers had a different and less private arrangement, but they too were pleased with the accommodations here. The breakfast was excellent, especially on the 4th of July weekend. Choices were narrower but still plentiful, the following Monday. The wifi connections was free and strong. The only matters, and they are not highly significant, that keep me from calling it perfect are the small size of the pool and the fact that our room was not made up one of the four days we were there, although I asked the receptionist at about 5 pm if it had been overlooked. She responded that the maids were very busy over the holiday but apparently did not check to see if they were going to clean the room. Since it was quite clean already and we had plenty of towels, it wasn't a problem, but might have been if towels or tissue were in short supply. There is ample and convenient parking. A variety of restaurants are within walking distance. I will definitely stay there whenever I am in Sheboygan to visit relatives.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that will meet your needs. They probably have one.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for visiting the Grandstay. We are glad the rooms and the location were accommodating to your family and yourself. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast. Thanks again for choosing the Grandstay.
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was my second stay at the Grandstay Residential Suites, both times with a group of women. The rooms are perfect for sharing especially my one bedroom suite that I shared with a woman much younger with different sleeping habits than mine. The cleaning staff does a superb job in that the rooms were impeccably clean. Front desk staff were very polite and accommodating. Although each room has a kitchen there is a nice breakfast in a room off the lobby each morning. Lora was especially helpful making eggs for us when we came in almost at closing one morning. She was very charming and courteous. My group stayed here upon my recommendation and I will definitely recommend again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing Grandstay for your group! Lora is very helpful, and excellent at what she does, so thank you for acknowledging her hard work! We are glad you enjoyed your stay.