“Great mexican food and fun atmospere!”
Review of Highland House - CLOSED

Highland House
Cuisines: Caribbean, Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located directly next to the Sheboygan River the Highland House offers one of the best outdoor dining experiences in Wisconsin. Relax on our Upper Deck and enjoy one of our signature margarita's with our excellent appetizers and take in the best view of the Sheboygan river available in the city.With over 14 beers on draft and a dining menu that is just as varied and unique you are sure to find a familiar favorite or a treasured discovery.We are family friendly and can accommodate large parties. Call to make your reservation today!
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We have been here a couple time now and service, food, atmosphere was always exceptional. When we went in summer it was so nice to sit outside along the river, great view. When we went in winter we caught the Badgers game in the bar first. Shrimp tacos and the seafood enchiladas were both delicious! We'd go back for sure.

1  Thank steffw1

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We went to the Highland House for my daughter's birthday dinner. We loved the vacation feel of the restaurant, and there were many scenic pictures of different tropical places, along with some brightly colored fish and other tropical animals. The food was tasty, although nothing special. The two waitresses constantly stopped by our table to see how we were doing, which got a little annoying. Once we got our bill, we noticed that we got charged 75 cents for a small cup of ranch my daughter asked for with her meal. We were shocked that a place like this would charge money for a simple condiment. Overall, we enjoyed our meal. But beware of small things that this restaurant will charge you for.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My wife and I have been customers for the last five years. The first year we found the Highland House it seemed we ate there every week. The menu hasn't changed much, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some items are better than others, as is the case with every restaurant.

I particularly enjoy the Ahi tuna steak. Done right with the aioli, it is delicious. The mahi mahi fish tacos are excellent and surprising filling. At 10 bucks a plate, the price is right as well.

What disappoints me is the hit-or-miss service. We've traditionally had average service but the food has made up for it. Our most recent visits have unfortunately soured our tastes to the Highland House. Food has been undercooked, overcooked, and food on the same plate has been different temperatures than everything else on the plate. Service remains the biggest issue. It has become slower and slower and the waitstaff has changed. It seems the waitstaff doesn't realize anymore that excellent service equals excellent tips. My wife and I, in our former lives, quickly realized this but the group working at this restaurant now apparently doesn't.

For example: alcoholic drink sales are easy money. There's a great profit margin as long as you keep serving. I could easily make a mixer at home for a fraction of the price a restaurant charges. Service makes the difference. WHY would our server bypass empty glasses over and over and over again?? And instead of addressing our complaints with the cooks, she made excuses and argued for them. I'm sorry, but any successful restaurant has succeeded because the food is good and if it isn't, it's addressed without belittling the customer. I will not name our server but I think it will suffice to safe I was not happy with her service.

We usually tip 20+ percent because we understand how difficult the job can be- as long as you're doing the job and care about the customer. We eat out to be treated well- it's the server's job to accomplish that task.

Unfortunately, as much as I've enjoyed Highland House (the Sheboygan location), it does seem to be in decline as others have mentioned. The once attentive waitstaff have moved on to other occupations or restaurants.The three hot sauces and chip seasoning, once fixtures on the tables, are no longer out for customers to enjoy. These are indicators of cost-cutting. It is still a decent place but no longer one of my favorites in Sheboygan. Five years ago I hands-down recommended the place to others as a great place to eat. Maybe the Mequon location has held steady... it's always been good there.

Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

I am always on the lookout for a good friday fish fry.. This was pretty good.. The coleslaw was unique (had craisins in it)..Just a tad on the pricey side ($17 for dinner and a soda + tip)..

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The food was burnt to a crisp (fish!) and the presentation was mediocre at best. Our waitress was neither competent nor punctual, as she knew nothing about the menu and our wait was excruciating. Safe to say I went home tired and hungry that night, leaving a full box of leftovers on the table... Purposely.

1  Thank iadviseyou