“Long ride for a mediocre experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Saukville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Long ride for a mediocre experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We traveled from Waukesha to Saukville, in pouring rain, to try this place, based upon relatively positive reviews. Sounded like a family run business (which we love) with good Italian food.

We thought they were open until 9pm but when we arrived we noted that they only served until 8:30pm. The ride out there took us longer because of the storms we were driving through (we had planned on being there at 7:30pm) so we found ourselves there closer to closing time than we normally like to be.

Our server was very friendly. The restaurant was clean and the décor was very simple, almost austere. They had the music at a very acceptable level and it was Italian themed, always a plus. We were offered drinks as soon as we were seated-no time to scan the wine list, no recommendations, she just waited for us to tell her. When she brought our drinks out she asked if we wanted to order, we said just the appetizer first-the rice ball.

Tom's Bloody Mary was bland and very uninspired. I had a glass of Riesling. The two drinks were $13.00 so not sure how much each was. The rice ball appetizer was very good and had a nice presentation. When she delivered the appetizer, she wanted our order, so we ordered. We were already feeling rushed. Here of course had the Bloody Mary been good and had we not felt rushed, we would have had another drink.

Both of our dinners came with soup or salad and we both had soup. The soup was good, a creamy cheesy chicken soup. I had the special, the Gnocchi Primavera and Tom the Pasta Bolognese. She told me it had chicken, which it did not. There also were no pine nuts as the Primavera notes on the menu. Tom enjoyed his meal. I found the Gnocchi stuffed with mushroom had a very overwhelming flavor which I really didn't enjoy. I think I would rather have had the Pasta Primavera. The olive oil they served to dip the bread in was Awesome though-very crisp, fresh tasting and fruity. I asked who made it but she said the large containers they had did not identify the maker. Tom found the little butter packets were very hard-his pet peeve.

The menu does not list a wide variety of dessert. Our server told us there wasn't a big choice this particular evening. She did say what they had were home made. Mmmm, home made cannoli, I'm in on that. When she returned she said the cannoli were not home made. The French silk pie and the Tiramisu were made onsite she said, but neither appealed to us. As it was, the restaurant was just about empty and clearly they were all gearing up to get the heck out of there.

So for us, with many really nice family run Italian restaurants close by, there is no compelling reason to venture out to this place. Actually we probably would not return even if were closer. The bill was $58.00, plus a $12.00 tip, so the cost wasn't out of line, there just was nothing spectacular or special about our experience. As a matter of fact it was a big let down.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Port Washington, Wisconsin
“They DELIVER!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I love Messinas! Believe it or not I've only dined in there once in three years but we order delivery from there at least twice a week.... A hidden surprise that YES they deliver every night of the week. And yes the food is just as tasty delivered to your front door! Just had the cod fish fry, the fried shrimp and some broasted chicken on Friday night and tonight we ordered burgers and yes, more broasted chicken. The food is amazing, the prices are great and the fact that they deliver makes it that much better! Yummy!

West Bend, Wisconsin
“Delicious food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

After hearing rave reviews from family members, my boyfriend and I made our first trip to Messina for dinner last night. The food was wonderful -- I had the portabella stuffed gnocci with red cream sauce and he ordered the nightly special, a chicken dish similar to chicken marsala, with spaetzle. His chicken was melt-in-your-mouth tender, and my gnocci was very flavorful (especially the sauce). For dessert, we split the tiramasu, which was delightful. We will definitely return again, but there were a few things we found disappointing...first, the parking lot was treacherous! It was completely covered with ice. Next, the flourescent light tubes above the mural do not add much ambiance -- next time I'll try to get a table on the other side of the room which has more subdued sconce lights. Last, we were disappointed that our waitress did not offer us dessert or coffee. We ordered dessert anyway, but they are missing out on a sales opportunity by not talking it up (doesn't EVERYONE love to see the dessert tray???)

• Visited February 2013
Gulf Shores, Alabama
“Fabulous! Family Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

For my "milestone" birthday, my family joined me for a celebration at Messina Restaurant in Saukville. The caring staff and owners provided a wonderful experience for all. I was so very pleased for our group that they could accommodate an "open" menu since the choices are varied and excellent. The praise I heard from family for the food, service, and dessert specials was overwhelmingly excellent and made my choice of this establishment all the more rewarding. Thank you so much Carmelo and Leigh; owners.

• Visited January 2013
Port Washington, Wisconsin
“That's Italian!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I have been to Messina's quite a few times. The menu has a good variety of Italian food at reasonable prices, the owners and the staff are very friendly and accomodating, and the atmosphere is very pleasant. I also have to say that the food is fantastic! We ordered the antipasta as an appetizer and when the waitress brought it to the table, we were amazed at the amount of food. The plate was loaded with two different cheeses, two kinds of meat, olives and hot peppers. By the time the main entrees were brought, we were already getting full. We had plenty of food to take home. The dinner was well worth the money. One of these times, I'm going to try to save room for dessert!

• Visited January 2013