TripAdvisor

Reviewed July 10, 2017
497jacquieh
Salem, Wisconsin
via mobile

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed November 6, 2018

I called to order some bison gloves and socks. I talked on the phone with Lester who was very helpful. He didn't have any in stock but was able to get some sent in. After he mailed them to me he called to make sure I got them and if everything was OK. I have never had such good customer service. Also the gloves were a lot cheaper there than at other sites I looked at. I would give Lester an excellent rating for customer service. He seems like a really nice person.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed July 10, 2017 via mobile

Love going to get all kinds of meat: Bison Burgers, Ribs, steaks, pot pies and more. We also always grab a bone for the pup. Lester is super friendly and sweet.

Date of experience: May 2017
Reviewed May 24, 2017

We had been in Lake Geneva and we were heading back towards I-94/I-41, when we saw Lester's Bison Farm on TripAdvisor. You have to admit that you don't see bison everywhere, so we took the slight detour (and it is not far off of Highway 50). When we pulled into the long driveway, you'll see a herd of buffalo, including several young ones in the pasture. You'll go down the long driveway that is definitely showing the pride that Lester has in the U.S. flag and his service in the U.S. Marine Corps. There are flags on either side of the driveway to the store. When you pull up to Lester's Country Store, next to the house and barn at the top of the hill, the border collies come out to meet you and they bring their ball with, for you to throw, so they can fetch it. The young grandkids loved seeing the bison and enjoyed playing with the dogs. We purchased a package of bison hot dogs, as well as two filets. If you know you are going there, you may want to bring a cooler. By the time that we were back home, we saw that the filets and the hot dogs would have to be eaten quickly. We did have the filets the next day and they were the leanest meat that I have seen. You will have to take your time, and more importantly, watch the time, as you prepare them, as they can be easy to overcook. We got it perfect and the filets tasted great! Lester, Semper Fi!

Date of experience: May 2017
1  Thank Allen21096
Reviewed December 25, 2015

No, the buffalo do not play fetch, but the terrific little black & white border collies do! This place is not fancy, but the buffalo are almost always nearby where you can see them (especially the babies!) and the small store is guarded by the collie dogs, grandsons and Lester, himself! Lester's knowledge about the herd, his dogs and the wonderful culinary delights is astounding. He can give you insight on how to cook, roast, grill or saute any of the cuts of meat he sells. Buffalo is lean and you know you are getting high quality meat by the taste. I've even tried his buffalo marrow bone broth in my winter soups and stews and can testify to the added levels of flavor. Oh yeah and, if it's available, please try his chile and his sweet potato/buffalo/apricot stew - goodness personified!
So, your day should be something like this: Saturday breakfast at the 75th Street Grill (creme brulee French Toast!!), then on to Lesters's Bison Farm, followed by a visit to the River Valley Mushroom Farm in Burlington WI. It's a day of delecation, enlightenment and delight!

Date of experience: December 2015
2  Thank newoj
Reviewed April 8, 2015 via mobile

We live down the road so I love to bring the kids here to see the bison. I've purchased the bison burgers and they were very tasty!