“This use to be our "go to" place”

Spang's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 29 Restaurants in Saint Germain
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Gurnee, Illinois
“This use to be our "go to" place”
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We all know that restaurants can change when a new owner comes in, but this is extremely disappointing. This had been one of our favorites for years. We tried it last week. We ordered a thin pizza that took 35 minutes to get. I've always loved their salads and dressing. That still tasted as always.
The pizza tasted good, but the toppings kept separating from crust. If we go back again it will not be for pizza.

New Jersey
“Where's the Fish!?!?”
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Went to Spangs. Ordered a "Smoked Trout Salad" with wild rice. You could put all the trout in a little spoon. And no wild rice. Crazy!! Should have called it "smoked minnow salad". The price? $15!! Next time it'll be pizza.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank rev123
Wisconsin
“So Called the new Spangs needs some Tweaking on taste and more”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just tried the so called new spangs and to be honest they need to beef up their dishes with some flavor. I know many people love their pizza but some of the Italian dishes our party had needed more room for improvement in those areas. If you have had real Italian food with wine based pasta etc, normally you should be able o taste some of the wine and not just buttered angel hair

I am not going hard here and will leave the learning curve to learn the right way the original owners did it. However when your paying upwards towards $20 for a dinner I and my guests expected more.

Service was good overall but in todays economy I just think that prices are a little steep for portion size and what you receive. My guests feel the same way a little blah on flavor and protion and it seems like in my opinion and others they are trying to make a bundle on limiting certain items.

I am not picky except when I expect food to be good and flavorful and it was not. Pizzas I seen around the dinning room area was what I seen most through the establishment and if I want pizza I will go some where else.

Overall they need to tweak these things and being new it takes some time to get it right, but for us well we will have to see if we go back or not, as I was not really impressed.

Summer is busy time and this is the main bread and butter income for the tourist season so good luck and hope you enjoy it.

Snowman

1 Thank 724snowman
Pecatonica, Illinois
“Original owners renew the food quality”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

After reading the owners had returned from years ago, I thought we would give this another try. Our family and friends absolutely loved the pizza freshness and flavor. I was happy to have some Italian menu close to the area without driving to another town. We could not finish the pizza's we ordered. Hot, tasty, great cheese and my sausage was quality sausage.

The owner talked for a while and asked about the service and food we ordered. The food was so good the kids had me order various pastas to go a few days later. Before this we had stopped at Spang's a couple times over the years and decided to not go back. After reading another review on tripadvisor I thought I'd try it again. We were very happy and will return.

I was told they did not take reservations, so if that continues, either prepare for a little wait with a large group or arrive early. They open at five p.m.

Saint Germain, Wisconsin
“The Old, Old Spangs is Back”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The spangs of 30 years ago is back. Same great Pizza and dishes from the glory days of Spangs. We have visited 3 times since their reopening last month and each time was a joy. Consistent and high quality. The (Milwaukee) pizza was loaded with cheese and big balls of italian sausage - not some burnt ground burger stuff you get elsewhere in town. The staff and management were friendly and attentive - you could tell they care about their product. After some years of marginal quality the owners from many years back have taken control. Once again St. Germain has a place to go for delicious pizza at reasonable prices with friendly service you can't get at other pizza places in town.

1 Thank BOB S