“Good stay..wrong time. Busy Presidents Day weekend!”

Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rothschild
IL
“Good stay..wrong time. Busy Presidents Day weekend!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The room was cozy but the heating/cooling was very hard to manage. It was 10 degrees outside but like 90 degrees in our room. It was hard to gauge the temperature settings because there was no thermometer and you just had to adjust the temperature settings on your own. The bed was worst than what I remember from our first stay. We had a king bed and it seemed like a water bed where we could feel each other's movements a lot. I think the first stay we had two full beds and that's probably why I was able to sleep better. Definitely not individual bed coils! The continental breakfast was like a zoo with all the people not that much selection and no meats (sausage/bacon) so it was just ok. Needless to say the staff was busy trying to keep up with demand but they did a decent job. My sister got the corner suite and her room was very nice and spacious. The pool had so much chlorine that my eyes were stinging with dryness but it was a nice pool, just probably had to be cleaned. I liked that I was able to take our dog for an extra fee. Overall a a nice stay. This is our second stay here so I definitely will come back next time we want to ski Granite Peak again since it's so close.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I am staying here for Presidents' Day weekend for a ski trip at Granite Peak. From the website looks like a cute hotel. But this place is much smaller than it looks and cannot accommodate a full hotel. I have stayed at many lower price hotels all over the country and this is amongst the worst service and conditions I have seen.

The lobby is so small that there is almost nowhere to stand if a few people are there. After a day of skiing we had to make our way through a crowded group standing around just to find the elevator.

The heaters in the room are equally as bad. The room constantly goes from too hot to too cold.

And then there was breakfast. When I travel with children this is usually the highlight of their trip but not here. The set up was so bad that it was impossible to service a full hotel. No back up for coffee so when it ran out you had to track someone down to make more which then required the machines to re heat and states over and ultimately lead to blowing a fuse. Next the juice machine ran out. Syrup was usually nowhere to be found and the employees kept saying "I just put some out". They do not have the typical "make your own waffles" that have become standard in the hotel industry. The have "eggo" waffels but kept running out and had to constantly bring more to the angry crowds. While the employees seemed to try their best, it frankly was not good enough. They were clearly not happy dealing with the angry customers and did not know how to handle the rush (needed to just bring everything out and stay out with the people to serve better).

When I politely complained to the front desk, the woman (not a manager because there was none in) raised her voice and yelled at me in response. Not exactly customer service. I would rather they gave me a monetary refund so I could go eat at Denny's across the street!

While I am sure this hotel is fine on an off day when they are not full, I would no way stay here again. There are many other options in the area so unless you have no other choice, don't stay here!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brad D
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I continue to keep coming back to this place, as the staff is very accommodating, and in-tune with business travelers' needs. My work is such that this place is essentially home-away-from-home.

Stoney Creek is clean, and quiet. Parents keep their kids "in check" and contain them from running wild and out-of-control, up-and-down the halls like at so many other places. Many of us corporate and business types keep long hours, and we need that peace of mind of coming back to a safe, and quiet place when bedding down at night. Wireless connectivity is rock solid with excellent signal, with their WiFi-N at 54Mbps. The gas fireplace in the main lobby is a very nice place to warm up to, given the bitter cold this past week.

I had a compelling need to include this review, as now going into two years, this place simply is consistent and a comfortable joy to come back to, not that it was some flash-in-the-pan or just a first impression from one of my previous reviews.

Yes, ample towels, carpeting that is clean... no toenail clippings as the place up the road, from where I used to stay a couple of years ago. Shower curtains clean. Ample-sized soap bars. Windows that slide, and don't stick.

Room Tip: From the automatic, sliding door up front, when your hands are full, to the front-desk staff, that a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I found this hotel online. Every now and again I get sick of staying in the same HI express.Thinking by rate (Quoted 119.00 a night) for a king room that i was probably getting a nice room given the area. I made the reservation. When I arrived at the hotel I was promptly attended and handed the key to my room. When i entered my room i looked everywhere for the fireplace that i understaood was in my room. I called the front desk. They offered to switch me to the fireplace room for 35.00 a night more until I requested a a check out. The employee did accomodate me. She didnt let me walk , but put me in the fireplace room that I thought I was getting in the first place at the same rate. Too bad i took her up. The room is next to the elevator shaft. That is what i hear every ten minutes. They advertise coffee 24 hours a day, and i cant find it except for between 6-9. The rooms. Well they are fastly become outdated. I found two oreo cookies jammed in my cushions of my easy chair, and a pubic from a sasquatch in the standing shower. The rooms are not neccesarily dirty, and not really run down however overall. But they are truly nowhere near the rate value that they are charging. I will stay at a newer property in the area next time, with a better scene, and more modern amneties for less money.

Room Tip: Request to not stay in any room bordering the elevator shaft!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear William B,
Our General Manager asked that I pass along these comments along with our sincere thanks and apology.
“Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We do pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our hotel and I am disappointed that your stay was not 100% satisfactory. I have passed your comments along to our Executive Housekeeper and she is looking into the matter to make sure this is not overlooked in the future. Thank you for your business and please know that this is not typical of our hotel. I appreciate feedback from all of our guests as it helps to know what we need to focus on to make all of our future guest stays wonderful. We are continually working to keep our hotel up to date and accessible for all of our guests and your comments are appreciated.”
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Although check-in got off to a rocky start on this trip due to a staff member claiming to not find our company's negotiated rate and an attitude that was more than pushy (absolutely not typical of staff at this hotel) (but I was pretty tired after a very long day so I'll take some responsibility for being easily ruffled) I was happy to fall into the usual welcoming, clean and highly comfortable room one finds at this location.
And the very kind and efficient manager I met the next morning who righted the rate situation and got my morning off to a great start got everything back on track.
At every other stay at this property the staff has been wonderful and beyond accommodating. I know that it's a great place for family fun and the decor makes it very woodsy and welcoming but it's also nice to look forward to for a great night's sleep while traveling for business. We road warriors need our carrots, too!

Room Tip: The only noisy rooms I've found have been on the first floor near the front desk and elevator...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at the Stoney Creek Inn before leaving on an early morning bus shopping trip. Our bus was leaving before the breakfast room was scheduled to be open. Paul made sure we had breakfast and coffee before we left for our bus. Awesome experience! The facilities was great. The staff was courteous and very accommodating. They made us feel welcome. Loved the decor of the entire facility. I would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We have stayed at this property several times and have been pleased each time. Staff is friendly and helpful. The entire hotel is kept very clean! The pool area is nice and welcoming. The hot tub is not kept scorching so the kids were able to be in there too (with supervision!). The decor is very nice and we were able to get some really nice family pictures just in the lobby! The "continental breakfast" was way beyond expectations! Biscuits and gravy one day and eggs and sausage then next plus ceral, muffins, oatmeal, toast, juice, and coffee.

Room Tip: The double is a little small for a family of 5. First floor rooms seem to be a little smaller. Roo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothschild
Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort
#2 of 11 in Wausau
Jefferson Street Inn
Jefferson Street Inn
#1 of 11 in Wausau

Been to Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau? Share your experiences!