Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Rothschild
West Virginia
“Great value!”
Reviewed April 12, 2008

Friends recommended I stay here, it was very nice, great value.

• Liked — Value!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
De Pere, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 28, 2008

This place is a typical small town joint. The rooms are very small, and the beds are only doubles. The decor is kind of northwoods tacky. The pool area is a nice, warm place to spend a chilly Wisconsin afternoon, our kids enjoyed it! Continental breakfast is quite decent. The price we payed was not a deal, by any stretch, but then again, there isn't a whole lot of competition in the area, so that would explain the lack of competitive pricing. If you need to stay in the Wausa area and have young kids who enjoy the pool, this is an acceptable choice. There's simply nothing unique or special about the place.

• Liked — Pool area
  • Disliked — small rooms and beds
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 16, 2007

We stayed at the Stoney Creek Inn for two nights for a wedding on November 2nd and November 3rd, 2007. Our stay was for a wedding held nearby and a reception held right at the Stoney Creek Inn. Website offered rooms at a great price, only $66.00/night when you stay Friday and Saturday which is what we booked. We checked out this hotel prior to staying here to see what the reception hall looked like. Staff was very unpleasant almost to the point of being rude. Upon chek-in on the 2nd, we were given our room key without many problems.

We booked a room with two double beds and thought the decor was adorable. Each bed has a thick fleece blanket on it and a cute teddy bear available for purchase at the lobby. The theme of the room and the rest of the hotel was like a cabin-feel right in the city. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was great. The ammenities in the room and bathroom were also great. Each room has it's own coffee maker and they even have free hot chocolate packages in each room. Our room was a deluxe room which included a mini fridge which came in extra handy. The bathroom included eye makeup remover pads, lotion, etc.

The breakfast room was cute too, again, with the log-home feel to it. Coffee is on 24-7, as is tea packets and as much hot chocolate as you'd like! Continental breakfast was good with fruit, donuts, muffins, cereals, waffles, etc.

There is no restaurant on site but right around the complex is a Culver's, Denny's, Green Mill Restaurant with plenty of food options to choose from.

The reception hall was very large and unique but could probably use some updating. There are mini Christmas trees lit up all around the hall, a moveable dance floor and lots of tables to accomodate a large wedding. It seems they took care of this wedding pretty good, although I couldn't swear on it.

There is also a pool and hot tub that you could use and my family staying for the wedding took advantage of it. It was a nice place to sit and visit and everyone seemed pleased with this area.

Stoney Creek Inn also provided a free room for gift opening the next morning which was just a small, average room with the big flourescent lights on the ceilings. Since the place doesn't have a restaurant on site, all food had to be brought in or catered.

Some of my family stayed in one of the themed suites with an adjoining room attached. This area was very large and neat. It had a fireplace, a nice couch and chair, coffee table, little bar area, it may have had a sink, cute bathroom, lots of windows and a nice gigantic bed. The attached room was just a regular room with two double beds but since there is a door joining the too, it provided extra space and alot of people spent their time in these rooms, drinking and visiting. I would recommend the suite if you are one that likes a bigger room and the price wasn't that outrageous either.

I would probably not stay here again, as I don't live around the area but would recommend it to anyone having a reception at the Stoney Creek Inn or anyone visiting in the area. There are no pets allowed here but I think the Holiday Inn across the street allows pets so you may want to factor that in as well.

Stoney Creek Inn is basically your average hotel but with very lodgey decor which makes it more enjoyable. Hopefully, if we ever did stay again, staff would be more friendly to guests.

• Liked — The decor was unique and adorable
  • Disliked — Staff at front desk not very polite
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Mason City
Reviewed August 25, 2007

Excellent value with very nice rooms and recently remodeled rooms, kind staff, wonderful breakfast, loved the swimming pool, definitely would return to this or any other Stoney Creek Inn

• Liked — Plenty of room, clean, great service
  • Disliked — Wisconsin
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 26, 2007

My husband and I stopped here on our way back home from Chicago after we got married. We decided to stop for the night and had checked out another local hotel and decided it was too expensive. I'm glad we checked this one out.

The price was reasonable and we had an extremely comfortable king sized bed. Though I'm not a huge fan of the log/rustic decor it seemed to work well and that a lot of thought had been put into the design of the hotel. Though we didn't get a chance to use the pool we did check out the pool area and were impressed.

In the morning we enjoyed the variety available for the breakfast, and though there was no dining on site there were several places very close by for a nice dinner.

The clerk who helped us answered all of our questions and even gave us some back story on the hotel which was interesting.

It's definitely one spot that my husband and I plan to visit again when we travel through Wisconsin.

• Liked — Reasonable price, comfortable and clean.
  • Disliked — Overpriced merchandise in gift shop.
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
Reviewed March 7, 2007

My family booked a fireplace/whirlpool suite with an adjoining room. The entire hotel is themed in a lodge decor. The suite was big with a large TV, micro and refrigerator. The adjoining room was a typical hotel room.

The pool room was clean. Pool and whirlpool were warm. Also a game room.

There is a nice complimentary breakfast. No on site restaurant, but there are places very close.

The staff was pleasant. The price/value is very good. It's on the same level as a Holiday Inn type hotel. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Location and lodge feel. Close to Ganite Peak.
  • Disliked — Toilet paper was terrible
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank PeterGunn
Weston, WI
Reviewed May 17, 2006

I actually live 10 miles from Stoney Creek Inn and I had always heard good things about the hotel. For my birthday this year my future in-laws came to town and our plans were to stay at the hotel over the weekend and relax in the hot tub.

I booked 2 rooms through their website 2 weeks prior to our stay. I found their on-line reservations system a little frustrating but nothing I couldn't handle or so I thought. After booking two separate reservations, I realized I had booked my fiance's parents room for the wrong day. I immediately called the front desk at the hotel and the man I talked to said it would be no problem to change that for me.

Fast forward to check in day. They see no reservation for my future in-laws. The front desk staff basically told us that they were fully booked and that we were out of luck, we would only have 1 room with 1 bed for 5 people. I ask them to check the reservation that I originally made for the wrong date. They then tell me that it was cancelled 10 minutes after it was created.

Instead of changing the date of the reservation the gentleman I talked to cancelled the reservation. As this was taking place the person I spoke to on the phone "Joe" walks out from the back room. I tell them he is the one I spoke to and he denies it. He actually said there was absolutely no way that I talked to him. I asked if they could check the date and time of the transaction where it proved that not only was he working when this cancellation took place, but low and behold he had made the cancellation.

In the end my in-laws ended staying in the room with my 6 foot tall future brother in-law sleeping on a roll away bed made for a 5 foot tall person. My fiance and I drove home and spend our "weekend away" at home in our own bed. None of this would have really bothered me as much if I would have received at least one "We're Sorry for your inconvenience." Instead the front desk staff argued with me for about 45 minutes over this whole situation. It leaves me to wonder what ever happened to "the customer is always right."

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank MgclMel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothschild
Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort
#2 of 11 in Wausau
Jefferson Street Inn
Jefferson Street Inn
#1 of 11 in Wausau

Been to Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau? Share your experiences!