“Extremely Dissapointed”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rothschild
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Extremely Dissapointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

We purchased a Groupon for this location because of the great reviews about the Grande Lodge. We decided why not have a little vacation with the family. We checked in about 6PM on Friday 2/11. It wasn't listed anywhere on the Groupon site that we needed to provided another documentation of the confirmation, even though the code was listed on the reservation. So because this wasn't noted upfront, we asked for the hotel manager to inquire about this policy. The manager was a pompus arrogant,rude non-friendly, smart-mouth little man, who quickly walked pass us without ever greeting us and shouted as he was walking way "those are hotel policies". He was so quick that all we saw was the back of his head. This was the worst customer server we had ever experienced checking in and we both travel often. It is no wonder why this hotel isn't listed as a star hotel due to it's lack of customer service. The room was very sorry looking, cheap, the bathroom size was a joke. You literally had to stand in the shower in order to shut the door. You could hear every one walking and talking outside your door, funny thing is we were placed right next to the elevators, so imagine the noise of screaming kids at around 1 AM. There was no room services and the kitchens closed at 8PM, yet the bar stayed open later. It's amazing how much they were charging for the mediocre room we were staying in, I'm just glad we visited this sorry place for what we had to pay. Definitely will NOT recommend this place to friends or family, I would not want them to waste their time or money here, there are way too many nicer places in Wisconsin that they could room with than this place. It was a shame, we had very high hopes for this place. If I could give this hotel a zero rating I would.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
ConcernFixer, Director of Corporate Support Services at Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2011
On behalf of every member of our management and staff, I can say without hesitation, that we join you in being extremely disappointed with the outcome of your experience. I sincerely and humbly apologize for your obvious disappointment. We have already taken steps to discuss with the entire staff all of the areas of concern that you expressed and I assure you that we will make every effort humanly possible to insure that a similar experience will not take place for any future visitor. I also want to thank you very much for sharing your concerns and thank you as well for your opening comment regarding “the great reviews about the Grand Lodge.” We take both the positive and the negative about our people and our facility very seriously and regularly monitor as many aspects as we can while seeking ways to improve. Again, thank you and our sincerest apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

The hotel is beautiful and very clean. The room was awesome and so much more than we expected. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Chris checked us in and it was one of the fastest and smoothest check in I have had. The water park was great. Lots of tables and something for everyone. The hot tub age limits ( had to be 14 or older ) was okay with me and my 9 year old ... After all adults need their space too. No noise in the halls as others had mentioned. Will be going back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
ConcernFixer, Director of Corporate Support Servces at Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2011
What better place for ‘Happy Campers’ to have a memorable experience than a family friendly Lodge themed hotel with a 50,000 square foot water park. We are so very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and anxiously await your return.
Ashland, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

We booked a two night stay at this hotel after viewing the water park online. We wanted to have fun as a family (it looked as if the water park had a lot for young children), but it was actually the opposite. After having been to several indoor water parks as a family, we can honestly say that this one was fair at best. Only one small area for kids to swim in, and get this - children under 14 ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE HOT TUB - at all! Even with an adult. I have never seen a hotel do this. Overall, very poor. The staff in the water park - very unprofessional. The life guards looked to be high school students, and most seemed to care very little about their job. Fifteen minutes before the close of the park on our last night there, they were running around, laughing, and throwing tubes into the water (while guests were still using the pools)! I'm guessing they just wanted to hurry everyone out of the park so they could get home. Again, very unprofessional.

Also, as we found out, this hotel does NOT have a separate pool / hot tub area (like some with water parks do). So, if the water park is closed for some reason, THERE IS NO POOL.

To top off our stay, our son had left a small toy behind in the room. We have given up now after attempting three phone calls and two emails to the hotel - no one will return our call or email. Even if the toy was not found in the room, have the courtesy to return a customer's calls / emails.

I know we will be returning to the Wausau area to stay in the future - and I also know we won't be returning to the Grand Lodge by Stoney Creek - ever.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank DNASHLAND
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

Great hotel, got a good rate for the type of hotel with the water park. We really enjoyed our stay here, the water park was great, rooms were clean...it was a nice getaway for our family. However, you would think the money you spend here would guarantee good or great customer service to keep you coming back. Service was okay during our stay....but after we left...forget about it! We left some items in our room (nothing of great value), and it was like pulling teeth to get it back...and still don't have it. We left these items there on a Sunday evening, I called and left a message with the house keeping manager. (obviously she is not there on a Sunday), No call back on Monday or Tuesday, so I call them. She is still not there and a staff member tells me the manager is out until Thursday. I ask if anyone can at least look for what I had left. No one could help. The person I called on Tuesday said the person covering for the manager would call me on Wednesday. Again...no call on Wednesday or Thursday..so I call again. The manager is now out on vacation until Friday...but I was assured she would call me back on Friday. They were also able to check on my items which were indeed there. Then the man tells me, they can send my items....but I have to pay shipping....really? After all I spent at your hotel??? Really??? Anyway...I know I left it there...my fault. So Friday comes and goes...no call! We'll see what next week brings! I work at a hospital...and we do everything we can to keep people coming back, even if it is spending a few extra dollars to ship our patients something they forgot. This is a great facility, to bad the poor customer service taints it's image.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Lake Linden, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

Our family usually stays at The Tundra, but no rooms were available for our weekend off, so we made the decision to stay at the Grand Lodge and boy were we pleasantly surprised! This place is 100 TIMES NICER THAN The Tundra. The room was super clean, large and had every amenity needed for a busy family. The water park was the perfect size too. It never felt over crowded and there were many more things for the younger kids. The best part about the Lodge - their room RATE WAS 3 TIMES CHEAPER than The Tundra. What we paid for one night at The Tundra got us three nights at this awesome place! Plus during the weekdays - there’s a free continental breakfast! My family and I will definitely be returning for another fun stay. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Morrison, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

We were on our way home from a disappointing vacation and by chance happened to stop by this place just to see how much it would be to stay. I went in and it was so beautiful that I thought for sure I would be walking back out. Surprisingly, it was very affordable.... We went to our room and it was fantastic... the rooms were very large and the bed was incredible. The decor was fabulous. We went down to the water park area and it was much bigger than I had anticipated. The breakfast buffet was very elegant and well worth the price. Another thing I noticed is that I did not hear anyone running or talking out in the hallway. It was very quiet... We had such a great time and plan to go back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Green Bay, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2010

We travelled here the week of Spring Break...so I expected it to be packed and overrun with kids. It was certainly busy, but we never felt overwhelmed by the crowds. The staff here is very young, and needs some lessons in customer service. Our room was not available at check in time as they "were still cleaning them"...at 4PM? Cleaning carts littered the hallways until after 5PM. Staff was essentially dour, not too many smiles, and just seemed to lack any interest in doing anything more than the minimum. Some of the basics just weren't looked after....cafe tables not cleaned, napkins not stocked, cups/glasses not cleaned off tables. We had a snack in the snack area, and staff was present folding towels and complaining about the hours they had to work.

Rooms are very nice, bathrooms quite small and if you have kids running around in the room above you (as we did at 5AM) you'll be awake.

Take some lessons, folks...Time to lean, time to clean. Keep your complaints to the back of the house.

Overall, an OK property, a nice waterpark, but the staff needs work.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothschild
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau
Jefferson Street Inn
#1 of 10 in Wausau
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,004 reviews
Days Inn & Suites Wausau

Been to Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!