“Fantastic Stay”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rothschild
New York City, New York
“Fantastic Stay”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights when visiting family. We love this hotel. We stayed in the Queen loft. The room was huge. We are a family of 6 and love that they can accommodate all of us in one room. Plus they allow dogs. The main floor had two queen beds and a queen pull out couch. There was a bathroom, refrigerator and microwave. It had a fireplace and two televisions. The loft had a desk and a chair with an ottoman. It also had a bathroom which was great to have with a large family. We wish they had a tv up there but I guess it is used as an office.

The lobby is wonderfully decorated. We love the theme of the hotel. Even the elevators are painted in a fun way. There is a gift shop in the lobby. Needed to buy my nephew a bathing suit and the prices were very reasonable.

We loved the water park. We arrived on Wednesday so only one day without the water park. I wish the park was opened everyday but this time it worked for us.

Breakfast is included during the week and is wonderful - many choices from yogurt, cereal, toast, fruit, eggs and sausage. You have to pay on the weekend but it is not that much. There are more hot choices on the weekend.

We just love everything about this hotel. We had some issues with the smell of smoke in our room from the fireplace and they immediately came and moved our room. Very friendly staff. Will make sure to come back every year when we are in town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I had such a great time! The water park was so awesome and fun! The restraunts are great! I really liked the hotel! The food was great and service was great! I will definently go back. It's a great place to relax too! Kids and adults won't regret it!

• Stayed July 2013
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Laurabethl, Our goal is for every guest and visitor to is to have an experience exactly as you have described yours. Thank you for taking the time to let us and others know and we are already looking forward to your next visit!
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Staff was very nice. There was a power outage for a few hours and we got an extended check out, which worked out perfectly. The room was very nice except one night there was a nasty smell coming out of the bathroom. It was only one night so we didn't report it. When we opened the sofa sleeper we didn't like the sheets on the bed so they brought us up fresh linens. The staff offered to change it but we did it ourselves. No problems or questions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Overall this place is amazing. A very great deal for the size of everything. My wife and I wanted to getaway from Green Bay for the weekend. Last minute decision and all. We checked wi dells and could only get $400 a night rooms. Grand lodge had the same to offer at less then half the price. The waterpark inside the hotel is great. 2 tube slides that go out of the building and then back in. One "toiletbowl",as I call it, tube slide that is fun. They are definitely family friendly but adult friendly too. I found myself playing with the water guns and water fountains just as much as some kids :) The arcade though was a major let down. Some games were fun but most were broken or not working properly. When you cash in all your tickets the prizes are kinda mediocre. They offered a story time at night for kids and a movie night on the weekends. They have a gift shop but two walls and a couple displays don't really consist of a gift shop to me. They are located just out of Wausau so any shopping is close. Right across the parking lot is a mall with groceries and a movie theater. That was very nice if you don't wanna eat out every meal. All in all I had a great stay at grand lodge and will be coming here instead of wisconsin dells if I wanna play without spending a fortune.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Jeepfrk_cj
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was checked into a room with a king bed in it. Very clean with an impressive Northwoods feel. I love the fact that the rooms are energy efficient. The room was impeccably clean and I would recommend others to stay here. I stayed on the business wing and it was very quiet. Perfect for a good night's sleep.

Loved the free coffee in the morning before heading out to the rest of my travels. The are is nice and everything location wise is close to the hotel. There are a nice amount of selections in restaurants near by and the movie theater is within walking distance.

Would love to have another little vacation and stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank joifulhrt
Manitowoc, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We chose to stay at the Grand Lodge as a treat when we headed to Wausau for my son's bowling tournament. Not being familiar with the Wausau area, we wanted a place with enough activities so we didn't need to venture out after a long day.

When we realized we were going to arrive ahead of check-in, I called ahead from the road to see if early check-in was available. They checked on our room (using the name of our reservation) and told us that the room was, indeed, ready for us to check in. When we arrived, the front desk clerk informed me my room was not ready. When I explained that I had called not 30 minutes earlier and was told the room was ready, he said there was nothing he could do. I kindly asked him to check again with the staff member who took the call. Our room was ready; however, he gave no apology for the misunderstanding and begrudgingly checked us in.

We were in a queen loft. It is a spacious room but the layout is odd. I would think it would be better to put the sleeper sofa in the upper loft instead of having a desk and chair up there. I don't know how long it had been since our room had undergone a "deep" cleaning. Immediately upon our arrival, my son's allergies flared. This only happens when there is a high presence of dust and/or mold. Each and every time he left the room to go elsewhere, he did not react. Additionally, we found old lipstick and other garbage lurking under the sleeper sofa.

Elevators are very slow at this hotel. It was faster to take the stairs to any location. Luggage carts were sparse. The ice machine in our section was empty and remained empty even 4 hours after calling the front desk. We were told to "just go to the other side to get your ice" by a phone call to guest services.

Our mattress was very lumpy and uncomfortable. I have a difficult time in most hotels, but this one was one of the worst I've slept on recently. I do realize this is a subjective complaint, but needs to be stated nonetheless. I found the walls to be "thinner" as we heard almost every noise in our neighbor's room (but they probably heard ours as well).

The best part of this property is the water park. It has five larger slides, a lazy river and plenty of play areas to keep kids of varying ages (7 & 14) entertained. However, rather than stay at an overpriced hotel, we could have stayed at the Holiday Inn or Candlewood Suites right next door and paid the $15 per person for a wristband and probably had a better room and friendlier staff. I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Becca L
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Becca, Let us start by saying we hope the bowling tournament went well and thank you for staying with us! We want all of our guests to receive the best experience possible and your feedback is an important way of helping us achieve that goal. For example, in doing our research of your check-in situation, while we were able to get you checked in 3 hours early, there was some initial internal miscommunication as to the status of your room. We have coached our team on best practices to better handle like instances in the future. Please accept our assurance that your other concerns are being addressed with the same diligence as part our ongoing effort of being a premier family destination.
Plover, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent two days in a King Bunk bed suite and the room was very nice and clean. The king bed was too soft for my taste but overall liked the room. We did end up blowing a breaker the first night and it was fixed immediately by maintenance. The waterpark was fun for my boys. they had a blast. The only issue I came across was our room was on the bottom floor and since it was a busy weekend there was a lot of running upstairs during the daylight hours but was quiet at night. I also got charged a long distance fee for calling a business two blocks away but the front desk fixed that immediately. I was very satisfied with my stay and will go again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth Inn P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothschild
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau
Hampton Inn Wausau
Hampton Inn Wausau
#2 of 11 in Wausau
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Wausau-Rothschild

Been to Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!