“Nice waterpark; iffy, if not overpriced, hotel”

Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rothschild
Manitowoc, Wisconsin, United States
“Nice waterpark; iffy, if not overpriced, hotel”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We chose to stay at the Grand Lodge as a treat when we headed to Wausau for my son's bowling tournament. Not being familiar with the Wausau area, we wanted a place with enough activities so we didn't need to venture out after a long day.

When we realized we were going to arrive ahead of check-in, I called ahead from the road to see if early check-in was available. They checked on our room (using the name of our reservation) and told us that the room was, indeed, ready for us to check in. When we arrived, the front desk clerk informed me my room was not ready. When I explained that I had called not 30 minutes earlier and was told the room was ready, he said there was nothing he could do. I kindly asked him to check again with the staff member who took the call. Our room was ready; however, he gave no apology for the misunderstanding and begrudgingly checked us in.

We were in a queen loft. It is a spacious room but the layout is odd. I would think it would be better to put the sleeper sofa in the upper loft instead of having a desk and chair up there. I don't know how long it had been since our room had undergone a "deep" cleaning. Immediately upon our arrival, my son's allergies flared. This only happens when there is a high presence of dust and/or mold. Each and every time he left the room to go elsewhere, he did not react. Additionally, we found old lipstick and other garbage lurking under the sleeper sofa.

Elevators are very slow at this hotel. It was faster to take the stairs to any location. Luggage carts were sparse. The ice machine in our section was empty and remained empty even 4 hours after calling the front desk. We were told to "just go to the other side to get your ice" by a phone call to guest services.

Our mattress was very lumpy and uncomfortable. I have a difficult time in most hotels, but this one was one of the worst I've slept on recently. I do realize this is a subjective complaint, but needs to be stated nonetheless. I found the walls to be "thinner" as we heard almost every noise in our neighbor's room (but they probably heard ours as well).

The best part of this property is the water park. It has five larger slides, a lazy river and plenty of play areas to keep kids of varying ages (7 & 14) entertained. However, rather than stay at an overpriced hotel, we could have stayed at the Holiday Inn or Candlewood Suites right next door and paid the $15 per person for a wristband and probably had a better room and friendlier staff. I probably would not stay here again.

4 Thank Becca L
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Becca, Let us start by saying we hope the bowling tournament went well and thank you for staying with us! We want all of our guests to receive the best experience possible and your feedback is an important way of helping us achieve that goal. For example, in doing our research of your check-in situation, while we were able to get you checked in 3 hours early, there was some initial internal miscommunication as to the status of your room. We have coached our team on best practices to better handle like instances in the future. Please accept our assurance that your other concerns are being addressed with the same diligence as part our ongoing effort of being a premier family destination.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Plover, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent two days in a King Bunk bed suite and the room was very nice and clean. The king bed was too soft for my taste but overall liked the room. We did end up blowing a breaker the first night and it was fixed immediately by maintenance. The waterpark was fun for my boys. they had a blast. The only issue I came across was our room was on the bottom floor and since it was a busy weekend there was a lot of running upstairs during the daylight hours but was quiet at night. I also got charged a long distance fee for calling a business two blocks away but the front desk fixed that immediately. I was very satisfied with my stay and will go again.

1 Thank Elizabeth Inn P
Ashland, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here two years in a row for my daughter's birthday. Our room was clean and comfy. Loved the northwoods decor.

We like that the waterpark is large and well staffed. There is plenty to do for everyone. We had people from 1-70 years old and everyone had a great time.

Only reason I gave a 4 star rating for cleanliness is the bathroom/changing room for the guests that don't stay at the hotel or need to use the bathroom while swimming was messy. There were towels everywhere and wet toilet paper all over the floor. Hated to go in there without shoes. Besides that we love the place and will be back next year.

I think the price for rooms is fair considering the waterpark is comparable to the dells.

We also love that it is centrally located by the grocery store, theater, banks and strip mall.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm reviewing after our second visit, which was nice, but we arrived on a Sunday evening to take advantage of the cheaper "spring break" prices, however, the waterpark was shut down on Monday and we had no dining options in the hotel on Sunday evening. This was somewhat disappointing because we wanted to stay on site for as long as we could, in order to take advantage of as much water-park time as we could, but then found out that the park was closing at 6 p.m. anyway. This only gave my daughter only 3 hours at the park for our 2 night stay. We were also skiing at Granite Peak so she wasn't completely crushed, but had we not, she would have been much more upset. So extended hours on Sunday evening during Spring break would be a plus!

Otherwise, as far as room accommodations, the room was very nice and clean. We had to ask for another blanket in the room on our second night because the duvet was very thin and I wasn't as warm as I wanted to be on our first night, but that's minor.

The breakfast buffet was decent. Cold items, along with biscuits and gravy. They ran out of milk towards the end of breakfast and they actually had to have someone run to a local store, which was strange, but there were plenty other options.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor room so you don't have to worry about loud noises from noisy children abo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We live in Wausau and I wanted to take my daughter and husband swimming for the day for their birthdays. When we arrived about noon we walked in the front lobby doors and there was a sign saying "waterpark passes sold downstairs". We went down by the waterpark area and it was nuts! Lots of people in line to get food and passes. Why can't they have a separate line just for passes or sell them upstairs like they used to? We had fun when we got into the waterpark except there were 2 teenagers sitting by our stuff making out for about an hour. The bathrooms in the waterpark area were nasty too.. Wet toilet paper all over and garbage overflowing. I was afraid to walk barefoot in the bathroom.. There was also 2 teens in the woman's bathroom. One was a boy helping his girlfriend with her locker (which half the lockers didn't even work).. When we got done swimming we went into the game room for a while. Lots of games ripped us off cuz they didn't work and there was only one ticket machine working that counted the tickets.. I was waiting in line to count our tickets for about 15 minutes. Then when I finally got my ticket we went up to the counter to get cheap prizes for my daughter.. Only one person working in the game room on a Saturday. Took about 45 minutes just to get our stuff cuz she kept having to put more tickets in machines and helping other people.. I don't think we will be going back on a weekend. I couldn't believe there was only one person working in the game room.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Sierra544
Dear Sierra544, Let us first start by saying thank you for choosing to celebrate your husband and daughter's birthdays with us. We will look into the inconveniences you describe and see what steps can be taken to make future improvements. We apologize for your experience and greatly appreciate you taking the time to share, as it will help us get better!
Wisconsin
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed at the Grand Lodge during the first week in April. The hotel was very nice. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The breakfast was good and they had good coffee. The waterpark was ok. I thought the water could have been warmer. It seemed overwhelming with chlorine, but I suppose they have to with all the use. I notice it could have better cleaning. The hot tub had lots of grit on the bottom. The steps to the upper slides had dirt, paper and gum on them. The furniture was nice and clean, and they had plenty of towels. The kids had fun.

1 Thank Wispr
Dear Wispr, Spring break is definitely a busy and fun time of year for us. Keeping up with up to 600 guests at a time is certainly challenging, but one we welcome. We work hard to ensure our guests have a great experience and your feedback will definitely help us to achieve that goal. Thank you for sharing and we look forward to having you back in the future!
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We went there with other family members on a skiing weekend. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The waterpark was enjoyed by the kids. Loud and hot for the adults who had to be there to supervise. Maybe a glassed in enclosure with some air, or a fan under the hut in the corner. But it was a waterpark after all. The only disappointment was the breakfast buffet which we paid for. If you are going to pay for a breakfast buffet, it should be substantial with a lot of options. This buffet, was a great deal smaller than some of the free hot breakfast's that we had at other hotels. Nothing special, so that might need some rethinking. Staff friendly and we would stay again.

Room Tip: Upstairs you get a vaulted ceiling in the room and so it appears larger and roomier. Also gets you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ThorsMomma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothschild
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau
Best Western Plus Wausau-Rothschild Hotel
Jefferson Street Inn
Jefferson Street Inn
#1 of 11 in Wausau
Days Inn & Suites Wausau
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Wausau-Rothschild
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wausau

Been to Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!