We chose to stay at the Grand Lodge as a treat when we headed to Wausau for my son's bowling tournament. Not being familiar with the Wausau area, we wanted a place with enough activities so we didn't need to venture out after a long day.
When we realized we were going to arrive ahead of check-in, I called ahead from the road to see if early check-in was available. They checked on our room (using the name of our reservation) and told us that the room was, indeed, ready for us to check in. When we arrived, the front desk clerk informed me my room was not ready. When I explained that I had called not 30 minutes earlier and was told the room was ready, he said there was nothing he could do. I kindly asked him to check again with the staff member who took the call. Our room was ready; however, he gave no apology for the misunderstanding and begrudgingly checked us in.
We were in a queen loft. It is a spacious room but the layout is odd. I would think it would be better to put the sleeper sofa in the upper loft instead of having a desk and chair up there. I don't know how long it had been since our room had undergone a "deep" cleaning. Immediately upon our arrival, my son's allergies flared. This only happens when there is a high presence of dust and/or mold. Each and every time he left the room to go elsewhere, he did not react. Additionally, we found old lipstick and other garbage lurking under the sleeper sofa.
Elevators are very slow at this hotel. It was faster to take the stairs to any location. Luggage carts were sparse. The ice machine in our section was empty and remained empty even 4 hours after calling the front desk. We were told to "just go to the other side to get your ice" by a phone call to guest services.
Our mattress was very lumpy and uncomfortable. I have a difficult time in most hotels, but this one was one of the worst I've slept on recently. I do realize this is a subjective complaint, but needs to be stated nonetheless. I found the walls to be "thinner" as we heard almost every noise in our neighbor's room (but they probably heard ours as well).
The best part of this property is the water park. It has five larger slides, a lazy river and plenty of play areas to keep kids of varying ages (7 & 14) entertained. However, rather than stay at an overpriced hotel, we could have stayed at the Holiday Inn or Candlewood Suites right next door and paid the $15 per person for a wristband and probably had a better room and friendlier staff. I probably would not stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort is a hotel located just outside of downtown Wausau, WI in the cozy neighborhood of Rothschild. The hotel is located near the Granite Peak Ski Area and has a reputation as one of Wausau's best hotels. The hotel offers everything that you need for a pleasant stay, including cozy rooms,food service, and Internet access. Our hotel is a unique destination with a "Northwoods" themed decor that is suited for business and pleasure alike. The Grand Lodge is home to one of Wisconsin's most exciting waterparks - Logger's Landing. This 50,000 square foot fun zone is full of excitement and adventure for the entire family. The Grand Lodge is one of the area's premier hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Lodge By Stoney Creek Hotel Rothschild
- Hotel At Cedar Creek
- Lodge At Cedar Creek
- At Cedar Creek Rothschild