“Great sleeping and spotless bathroom.”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Wausau-Rothschild
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rothschild
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great sleeping and spotless bathroom.”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Spent two nights here for a family wedding. Fantastic bed (pillow top mattress - felt like I was sleeping on a cloud) and pillows. The bathroom was immaculate and has a flatscreen tv mounted on the wall. Nice decor in the rooms. There was a bit of a funny smell in the room (fried food? possibly consumed by guests the day before my arrival?) but I didn't call the front desk who very well may have been able to rectify it. There was also a dark stain on the carpet in front of one of the beds but it looked like housekeeping had tried to get it out right before my arrival. They let me check in early with no hassle whatsoever. Got great service all weekend from the bar and restaurant. A nice location close to the interstate but not ON the interstate so there is no traffic noise whatsoever. There is a grocery store right across the parking lot to stock up on provisions for your stay. The only time I left the hotel was to attend the bridal ceremony at a nearby church, so I can't comment on nearby attractions or sight-seeing. Continental breakfast was average but they had flavored creamer for the coffee so that was a huge plus in my book.

Room Tip: I had a ground-floor room with a sliding patio door, so if I wanted to step out for some fresh air I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
heyroth, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Wausau-Rothschild, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your review. I have shared it with our housekeeping staff. We will continue to strive towards excellence and great customer service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The check in staff was very polite and helpful even when I had issues with my company credit card. The hotel is in excellent shape and the room was very clean. The Green Mill restaurant on site was good and the wait person was knowledgable even though she was new. Great location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bucksterdude
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stay here for business on a regular basis. I choose it because I am a priority club member, and there is a restaurant next door eliminating the need to go anywhere if I get in later. The staff is always friendly upon check-in, and the rooms are consistently clean and comfortable.The value for price paid is the best in the area that I found so far. I do not use the pool so I cannot comment on that amenity. There is a grocery store, liquor store and liquor store near by for whatever you may have forgotten on your travels. Not sure why this hotel is getting negative reviews, as I have never had a bad experience here. When traveling on business or personal, I don't expect much from continental breakfasts, but this one has everything one might want or need.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Elizabeth-Lucy
Plano, Texas
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed here for two nights while visiting Fred Smith's Concrete Park Art Environment in Phillips, Wisconsin. It was a perfect landing pad to explore the beautiful nature of the area. The staff was very friendly and the price was excellent. Having come from Chicago, the accommodations felt like they were fancy and about the third of the price for what you get in most big cities. They must have upgraded us to a suite, as it had a microwave, refrigerator, and 3 TV sets, one of which was in the bathroom. It was a quiet room, with very comfortable beds, so it was perfect for us.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Arena, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 11, 2012

After reading numerous reviews here on Hotels.com, Yahoo and Google maps, many of them unflattering (I'm guessing that rival hotels were the cause of many of the single-star ratings) but knowing the good luck I've had with Holiday's Inns in the past, I decided to book a room here anyway. Many of the reviews remarked that the hotel was "tired, old and unclean". A lot of other reviews commented on the continental breakfast as being sub-par and the staff as incredibly rude. My experience was quite good, from the front desk staff being very friendly and interactive to my room being impeccably clean and comfortable. I did not find the hotel "tired" or "old", in fact the decor is what I have been seeing in many of the newer Holiday Inns. I only stayed one night, and my room was exactly what I've come to expect from Holiday Inns, the only exception being that the solid curtains were fake, so the only thing blocking the light were the gauzy curtains. I would prefer to have solid curtains that could be drawn completely shut. I did not use the pool, so I cannot comment on that amenity. The Green Mill Restaurant is attached to the hotel and the food there was okay, the drinks pricey and the waitstaff numerous and slow in spite of having few customers on a Tuesday evening. Service improved greatly when I took out a pen and notebook to work (they probably thought I was writing a review on them). The continental breakfast was as expected. It wasn't what you would get at a Holiday Inn Express (full breakfast), but it provided all the things that you'd get for a normal Continental Breakfast. The fruit was fresh and there was a selection of breads and drinks. All in all, my stay was exactly as I expected and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room curtains were for "show" only - bring an eye mask if you have to have absolute dark t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sarah W
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Stayed here one night after skiing Granite Peak. At check-in was told the hot tub was not working, but was not given any options to find us a new hotel even though there was vacancy at the sister location 5 miles away.

After talking to a few other guests, it turns out the pool/ hot tub area was out of service the day before. So it was out of service for two days?

This is a major hotel chain, are you telling me they can't find a pool repairman for two days?

This place is not worth the $$$.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank JP-Post
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I get to Wausau several times a year to be with family and always stay at the Holiday Inn, even though it's a little farther out than some other choices. The staff cant be beat. I checked in on the afternoon of New Years Eve. The place was PACKED. A youth hockey group was in and had taken over the hotel. Kids were going nuts, the parents were letting them be totally out of control and the staff was running ragged. Deb at the front desk (a treat each time I talk to her) was cheerful and a solid pro, decked out in happy New Year headdress) got me booked in and made sure everything was right (Hey, Holiday Inn....give Deb a raise!). It was a little loud, and the staff did their best and everything was just fine. I've now stayed there when it's quiet and when it's busy and have enjoyed myself each time. The granddaughter loved the kiddie pool, the Green Mill makes great food and the property is top notch. Never be afraid to stay here. I will be back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothschild
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau
Best Western Plus Wausau-Rothschild Hotel
Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wausau
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#6 of 6 in Rothschild
Days Inn & Suites Wausau

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Wausau-Rothschild? Share your experiences!