“Very bad experience!”

Madison, Wisconsin, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very bad experience!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had eaten at Chances before, and had an Ok experience, with very slow service, but we thought we would give it another try. What a mistake! My steak ,which was ordered medium rare, was well done. When I told the waitress, she did nothing about it. Then, they refused to accept my entertainment card, because it was sweetest day. Nothing of holidays ( Ha!) was mentioned in their ad in the book. Many others were unhappy about this. Bad service, bad food, and bad customer service made this an unhappy dinner.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Katie H

Racine, Wisconsin
“Ribs Were Excellent”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

It had been quite some time since we had last visited Chances and we are very glad we decided to make a return visit. We both had their ribs and they were even better than we remembered. The cheese spread was a nice starter, as was the small loaf of fresh baked bread. We started with the cheesy broccoli soup which was very flavorful. Their special mashed potatoes with the ribs was also a good choice. And the ribs....they fell off the bone with an excellent sauce. Of course, the history of the place makes it an interesting place to visit, but the food will definitely make you want to come back again.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank BadgerRetirees
Racine, Wisconsin
“Awesome!”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We travel pretty far to come here. Never had a bad visit. The atmosphere is great. Great bartenders. We usually call ahead to make sure they have the Cheesy Broccoli soup. Finding swiss almond cheese spread & crackers on our table was a plus. We had our first date there & they put us at the perfect table right next to the window. Stopping in at down time(between lunch & dinner) is our favorite so we can chat with the bartender about the ghostly history of this place. I just wish they would change up some of the dishes for something different to try.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Erika W
Scottsdale, Arizona
“daily specials worth having”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I visited "chances" a few times this past couple of years. I have to recommend the "mon-thursday" $10.00 dinner specials, I enjoyed the grilled tuna salad a few times and always excellent. My buddies had the giant hamburger and they loved it also.

The grilled chicken sandwich is good also.

This is good bar food, period. I can only comment on the Grilled tuna and grilled chicken sandwich because that is all I ever order...I have not had any "service" issues in quite a few years. And you know how that is? Some nights are better than others.

Always a friendly bartender and bar area. The owner is on premises often so speak to him if you have any problems.

• Visited April 2012
Racine
“What You Order Is Not Always What you Get”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

It was our first visit to Chances and was recommended by friends especially for their BQ ribs. My husband and I were set to order them but I saw a written special on a board at the front of the restaurant which indicated a Salmon Wellington also stuffed with Asparagus and Mozzerella topped with a creamy Tarragon Sauce, being the gourmet that I am, I had to have this!

My husband raved about his ribs which included a nice salad and baked potato. I, on the other hand, did not have the option of a soup or salad with my entree which I thought was odd and asked our waitress if any side came with this as I thought perhaps she forgot. She checked in the kitchen and came back with a choice of potato pancakes or french fries which I thought strange in conjunction with a puff pastry entree. When I cut into my Salmon, it didn't have the consistency of fish nor did it look like pink salmon. I did bite into it and.....IT WAS PORK! My husband had to taste it and agreed. I told the waitress and she insisted it was Salmon and went into the kitchen. When she came out, she asked if I could cut a little piece off so she could bring it to the chef. It was verified to be pork which led me to believe this was not made at the restaurant but perhaps a frozen entree. It was tasty never-the-less so I kept it. They did take half off the price of it .

We told our waitress they better change the "special" on the board but as we left, it was still incorrectly there!

This place is a historic brick taven and quite nice. I would go back and try the ribs next time however.

• Visited May 2012