“What You Order Is Not Always What you Get”
Review of Chances

Chances
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 25, 2012

It was our first visit to Chances and was recommended by friends especially for their BQ ribs. My husband and I were set to order them but I saw a written special on a board at the front of the restaurant which indicated a Salmon Wellington also stuffed with Asparagus and Mozzerella topped with a creamy Tarragon Sauce, being the gourmet that I am, I had to have this!

My husband raved about his ribs which included a nice salad and baked potato. I, on the other hand, did not have the option of a soup or salad with my entree which I thought was odd and asked our waitress if any side came with this as I thought perhaps she forgot. She checked in the kitchen and came back with a choice of potato pancakes or french fries which I thought strange in conjunction with a puff pastry entree. When I cut into my Salmon, it didn't have the consistency of fish nor did it look like pink salmon. I did bite into it and.....IT WAS PORK! My husband had to taste it and agreed. I told the waitress and she insisted it was Salmon and went into the kitchen. When she came out, she asked if I could cut a little piece off so she could bring it to the chef. It was verified to be pork which led me to believe this was not made at the restaurant but perhaps a frozen entree. It was tasty never-the-less so I kept it. They did take half off the price of it .

We told our waitress they better change the "special" on the board but as we left, it was still incorrectly there!

This place is a historic brick taven and quite nice. I would go back and try the ribs next time however.

1  Thank panielsen

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Two couples went in for a birthday. Had reservations but were a few minutes late. First, hostess tells us that we were late and says all the tables were full. We could clearly see that the attached dining room was empty. This was a Saturday evening. We had been in the past and both dining rooms were full. We had a drink at the bar where many of the patrons were clearly intoxicated and loud. We were seated shortly. Our waitress took our order but we had to ask about soup and salad that was included with our meal. Our drinks were brought and mine was wrong. The waitress was defensive and showed me that it was written down right. She took my drink and brought me the correct one. The waitress forgot the peoples order behind us and they were furious so we had that noisey drama to deal with. A couple from the bar was seated at another table near us. They placed their order and the woman was so drunk they asked for their food to go. The food was ok. Nothing special. The company of our friends...great. Chances not worth taking anymore.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

Walked in and waited by hostess desk for 5 minutes and were never greeted. Two staff were in and out, one appeared to be setting up a table. Neither appeared to ever glance our way. We don't ever mind waiting if someone is truly busy but normally there is a greeting or a " be right with you". Nothing, nada, crickets.....we walked out.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Chances always reminds me of an "up north" restuarant. Everyone seems to know each other and it has a very homey feel. The Friday fish fry has several options, all of which are very good.

1  Thank Emlg11Milwaukee
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Not having been here in a while, we again we tried Chances for dinner. I must say, that the drinks at the bar are fairly good and they are reasonable. But I can tell you nothing has changed since the last bad meal I had there. I thought I would try the ribs and shrimp scampi. They are well known for their ribs. I didn't know you could buy ribs with no meat on the bone, only fat. The pasta had so much salt, you couldn't eat it. And the shrimp tasted like the bottom of a fish tank. Not to mention the shrimp had major freezer burn. No garlic flavor what so ever. And to say the least, the dinner came just like my soup, warm would be an overstatement. I can say the warm bread was very good. For what we paid we could have gone to a little classier place for dinner. Stay away, let someone else take a Chances on this place for dinner.

2  Thank tansandy