“Be careful if in large group”
Review of Kinni Kayak

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kinni Kayak
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I went down the lower Kinni w a large group, and that was a huge mistake. I had my own kayak, so I "bought" shuttle service from these guys to get me back to my car at Glen Park. What I didn't know is the group I was with mostly rented kayaks from them (I made the assumption most people would have their own 'yaks) and when we landed at the State Park, me and two other guys who brought their own kayaks had to wait 3 hours for shuttle service back. (I wish I were exaggerating here)The large group really threw off the schedule and the mix of rentals and shuttles needed for personal kayaks was messed up. They were apologetic and I understand this was an out-of-the-ordinary experience. But still, I half expected my $15 back just for a way to apologize. Moral of the story - small groups are best - especially since this is a fast moving, narrow river where side-by-side convo is hard sometimes.

1  Thank sybilsinmaui

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We have our own Kayaks, so we did not rent. However we had a great experience with an unexpected shuttle service from the owner. The place we had intended to take out (the bridge) is under construction (all summer of 2012 - FYI) so the only option to take out is the Kinnickinnic State Park, which is horrible if you don’t have a shuttle service – we did not know this – There is a huge, and I mean HUGE, steep paved road from the beach takeout leading up to the top of the bluff to get to the parking lot. The worst part is there is a locked gate at the top of the road so you cannot drive down to the beach to load your kayaks and this hill is a beast to haul if your yak’s are heavy like ours – 4 yaks @ 65lbs each. Thank God for Kinni Kayaks that has a pass to open the gate and drive down to the beach. They graciously stopped as we were attempting to haul our kayaks up the hill and shuttled us back to our cars. As for the river, it’s great! There is a lot of action so keep on your toes for rocks, rapids and downed trees.

I should note, from past experience the other “Outfitter” in town is horrible and threatens to charge you $50 if you are late taking out, which can spoil your trip if you’re constantly worried about making it to the end on time. I don’t know why they are rated so highly on Trip Advisor considering we have heard similar experiences from others after renting. Kinni Kayaks is laid back and will give you visual landmarks to help time your voyage along the Kinni. Don’t hesitate to try these guys!

2  Thank piercene2314
Reviewed August 23, 2011

A great afternoon trip to enjoy nature and be totally away from civilization. It's not a float trip, however. Leave the beer coolers at home, as you'll actually have to steer your kayak! Even though it's for beginner kayakers, you still need to be aware of the current and occasionally steer clear of obstacles. Overall a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. New owner of the venue who has a lot of enthusiasm for the business.

7  Thank DaleStillwater_MN