“Very Disappointed!”

Larson's Famous Clydesdales
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Ripon
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I had a mid-week day off and thought we'd take a trip to see Larson's Famous Clydesdales for a fun day out. I was really looking forward to seeing the grandstand show with the horses actually hitched up. What a disappointment and ripoff! We called ahead and made a reservation, as requested on the web site, and made the 2-hour drive to the farm in Ripon, Wisconsin. The initial part of the tour was interesting with Mrs. Larson giving a history of the breed, showing the horses in the field and in the barn. However, there was no grandstand show because Mr Larson was not available to hitch up the horses and do the show because he'd gone to get hay. Frankly, a two-hour drive and $30 for the "privilege" of petting a horse over a fence was a ripoff to me. There was no offer from Mrs. Larson of a refund, price break or coupon to come back another day when they could do the full show. She didn't even throw in a free bag of her 50 cent popcorn for the inconvenience! Our tour group was only my husband and me and another family with 5 kids. After reading the other TripAdvisor reviews, it appears that the tour buses get the red-carpet treatment while small groups get the short tour at full price. Beware! Again, I think this was a rip. If there was no intention to give a full performance, the Larsons shouldn't have taken our reservation in the first place and thereby saved us from wasting the time and money on the trip.

5  Thank Wis_Travel_21

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I took my wife and her mother to visit Larson's Famous Clydesdales this afternoon and we all had a wonderful time learning about and getting up close to these amazing animals. We had no trouble finding them but I usually confirm directions with Mapquest or a GPS prior to attempting to drive to an unknown location. With a little planning and following the posted signs, if you miss it, you really shouldn't be driving. We had a very enjoyable afternoon for just $15 each, which could hardly be considered "pricey" unless you don't get out much. Getting to pet the baby Clydesdale and getting a free picture was a highlight of the tour.

2  Thank Hale G
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We had a nice weather and nice trip from the Sparta, WI area. Moreover, from its very start of the tour, we realized that the price of admission had value and substance. Indeed, we found Mr. and Mrs. Larson to be open and friendly personalities who really worked hard to inform and transmit, clearly and concisely, their passion and knowledge of a very special and near-rare breed of horse. In closing, the entire tour was a compelling experience not long forgotten. This well-organized experience should appeal to everyone likes fresh country air, informative and experienced guides and a visit to an extraordinary setting where giant horses give one the sense the historic past of farm work life. In sum, this adventure respresents a kind of chronicle of the past which can enrich our understanding of the powerful forces and animals who worked and contributed to our current quality of life and living in America. Our hats are off to the Larson's for their nerve and pluck. Keep up the good things that you do.Because you do it so well. We'll be back.

3  Thank Dennis B
Reviewed February 29, 2012

These beautiful horses are worth seeing one time, and the chance to pet a baby Clydesdale was great too, but this will probably not rank high on most people's all-time favorites list. But if you're in the area and you like horses, check it out.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Get up close to these magnificent animals and hearing the stories from the owners. A great field trip for a school or family as well. It doesn't hurt to love horses too.

1  Thank Laurel60304

Been to Larson's Famous Clydesdales? Share your experiences!