“Don't stay here! Rooms not Clean and Unprofessional Manager!”

AmeriVu Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rice Lake
Ashland, Wisconsin
“Don't stay here! Rooms not Clean and Unprofessional Manager!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

When we arrived, we were given a key card and walked up to our assigned room. My husband opened the door and we saw lights and the tv on, beds unmade, mud smeared across the floor, a pair of muddy balled up socks on the floor, and towels on the bathroom floor. Very appalled by the sight, we lugged our belongings back to the front desk to inform the front desk clerk. She offered the only other room available. Entering the room, we were satisfied with its appearance compared to the last horrific room view that we endured. This satisfaction was only momentarily for we discovered a pair of dirty two piece pajamas hanging on the back of the bathroom door and on the floor behind the bathroom door. I then inspected the bathroom floor, knowing that it was not cleaned properly since the pajamas were not discovered by house keeping, to find many dark/black hairs which did not belong to the blond (my brother) or red head (myself) who entered the bathroom. At this point I was completely disgusted by the experience and felt very uncomfortable about the cleanliness of the rooms in the hotel. It was frustrating knowing that this was the only room available in the hotel and it was approximately 9:30 at night, a very unlikely time to find another hotel with vacancy.
I called the hotel first thing Monday morning to speak with the manager, Don. I informed him that I had concerns regarding the situation. I began to explain the experience I had at the hotel, getting only as far as describing the first room we walked into when he began to cut me short by stating he was already aware of and familiar with the situation. I then tried to continue explaining my side to the situation, but was again cut off by Don. I then started to explain the situation in our second room, of which he was not aware. He rudely stopped my conversation and offered a very unrealistic solution. He refused to reimburse me for the charge made on the night I stayed and was dissatisfied. I told him that I did not have a need to stay nor desire to stay in his hotel after the experience that I had. Don was very unprofessional from beginning to end of the conversation. Please don't support a place like this...stay somewhere clean and professional!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
14 Thank Ozzman09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

Staying in a brand new motel in Rice Lake sounded fine - and it was - - - the 1st time!
We checked in and were "welcomed" by a woman behind the desk who my husband described as a "former prison matron". But okay, not everyone can be cheerful and friendly all the time.

Our room was on the second floor, beautifully maintained, clean, comfortable beds. We were very content with everything and stayed for 2 nights. Lovely!

Two weeks later we returned to Rice Lake for a family reunion. I had reported on the wonders of the new Days Inn to my cousins but they had reservations at another motel in Rice Lake - for $20. less. Still, we were smug, knowing "our" Days Inn was superior! This morning we ate our words.

Our room at the Days Inn was in the old motel - an old, strip motel not connected to the new building. Our room smelled of mildew and stale smoke. One wouldn't think of walking on the carpet with bare feet - everything felt sticky and the foul air made sleeping difficult. Due to Rice Lake's Aquafest, every room in town was booked. Our bill was $98. for the oldest, most awful room EVER. I would be very afraid to book there again.

(Our cousins had a good laugh as they regaled us with tales about their friendly inn keeper, great service, and beautiful room at the Western! - - - sigh). Be VERY careful!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Skorch

Travelers are raving about these Rice Lake hotels

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

I attempted to complain about the staff to the manager Don. He started verbal altercation with me, and continued to escalate the situation until he was two inches from my face. Not to mention he ran up steps in order to get in my face, I dropped a hat which he then stepped on (on purpose). He then proceeded to throw my family and wedding party out of the hotel on Sunday morning due to my complaints. They were not even aware I attempted to advise the manager of the horrible service. I thought he would want feedback as to why our large wedding party had several issues. I have never been treated so poorly in my life. Thanks Don for listening to concerns and making a scene in front of my family and two year old son. I've been in law enforcement for 10 years and the streets are safer than the reception desk at this Days Inn. Avoid this location, you have been warned.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
15 Thank chris197611
Waterloo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

I came to Rice Lake from out of state to visit family for Thanksgiving. We checked in after dinner, and went up to the room to get settled in. We got the room warmed up and changed into our swim suits to go use the pool. The pool area was very warm and we had the pool and hot tub to ourselves for the most part. The bed was comfortable and we got a good night's sleep.
In the morning , my children and I went down to have continental breakfast breakfast which was adequate. We then went back up to our room so my daughters could change into their swim suits and swim some more before we left. We got down to the pool and nobody was there but us. After awhile some other guests came down with their children to swim. We all had a very nice time.
My family and I were going to be leaving the next day to return home (a 5 hr trip) and during the trip my car developed an antifreeze leak. So I had my niece, who is 20, and a guest at their house, who is 18, come to stay with the girls at the pool (my children are 6 and 7 and not old enough to be at the pool alone) while I went out to buy what I needed to stop the antifreeze leak. This is Black Friday I might add. So my babysitters get there and I finished packing up our things and took them out to the car right before 11am. I had one more thing to get out of the room and my swipe card stopped working right at 11am and I couldn't get in the back door so a maid let me in and then I couldn't get into our room so another maid let me in to get my last bag. By now it's probably 11:10am. I brought clothes to the pool area for my girls, who were still in the pool, to change into. My niece let them swim for another 20 minutes while I went out to get what I needed for my car so we wouldn't break down on the way home. So they had approximately 20 minutes of time after they got out of the pool so their hair had time to dry. At 12:05 I called my niece on her cell phone to let her know I was on my way back because it took me longer than I thought because it was Black Friday. She and the girls were in the lobby sitting on the floor painting their nails, not being loud or bothering guests. The desk clerk came up and nicely told them that they shouldn't be painting their nails so nothing gets ruined and they put the nail polish away. Then, General Manager Don, came up saying they shouldn't be there with the nail polish, and where was their mom, and I was on the cell phone with my niece as he walked up and he asked if he could talk to me. He says to me, "That I can't leave my children unattended at the hotel" and I told him that they were not unattended and my niece was 20 yrs old. She had a car there but she didn't have their car seats so they couldn't leave until I got back. So I was in the middle of traffic just 2 blocks away and I was on my way to pick them up.
Our visit at the hotel was good until the very unprofessional General Manager accused me of leaving children unattended. It was very cold outside and they both had wet hair so it wasn't an option to walk to the gas station or McDonald's. There was only about 10 cars in the parking lot in the morning so hotel not booked.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
11 Thank Badimpression
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2009

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying a couple of days here last month, and we couldn't have been more pleased! The hotel is absolutely beautiful! The staff, all the way from the front desk to house keeping was exceptional in courtesy as well as service. The hotel was immaculate in cleanliness, the pool and hot tub were wonderful. The whole building is absolutely stunning! A must see!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gary_0935
Rice Lake
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

We recently just had our wedding at the Days Inn in Rice Lake Wisconsin. The reception went along smoothly but plenty went WRONG!! The manager Don needs to be more professional and not be so rude to his customers. My Aunt and Uncle who happened to be our photographer for our wedding came up on Friday and stayed Friday and Saturday night. They booked their room well in advance and when they booked their room they asked about bringing their small dog with them and leaving him alone because they are photographing their nieces wedding, when they booked their room they were told that was okay that the dog just couldn’t be on the bed. Well so they brought their dog with them instead of finding someone to watch him down home. They drove 4 ½ hours for my wedding so when they got here on Friday and checked in everything was fine then on Saturday morning is when things went wrong. Saturday we were all at the church doing pictures when my Aunt got a call from her son who stopped at the hotel to check on their dog and the manager Don came and told them that someone had to be with the dog at all times. So then my Aunt went back to the hotel to be with the dog and she missed my whole ceremony and the whole reception which can’t be replaced it’s a once in a lifetime situation. They would of found someone from home to watch their dog if they would of known this was going to happen but they thought it was all taken care of because they asked about it when they booked their room. Since this happened with my Aunt and Uncle some of our other family had rooms their and canceled their rooms and went and stayed else where.
Then for the reception, I had paid for 100 cans of pop which was $100.00 dollars which was fine. But then my Dad told me that the pop was expired and we are not talking like by a month or anything we are talking a year or more. Well my dad wasn’t the only person to complain about it so the bartenders started taking the expired pop out of the tubs that the pop I had paid for was in and Don told them to put it back. One of the bartenders while my personal attendant and DJ were getting things set up before everyone started showing up at the hall told them that she hadn’t bartended before and that people would have to tell her how to make drinks. Well we paid for the bartenders as well so why would we want one that doesn’t know how to bartend and our guests have to tell them how to make drinks. Some of our guests were buying mixed drinks and they were very watered down there was like non alcohol in them. Then while people were out dancing they were clearing tables and they would take peoples drinks and when they would get done with their dance they would come back for their drinks and they would be gone. This wasn’t just the beer that we had paid for this was also the drinks that people we buying themselves. Then at our reception we had appetizers later in the evening and Don charged us double for them. We figured it out on our bill. We got our money back but if we hadn’t noticed it we wouldn’t of got our money back. Then Sunday morning check out is 11 and housekeeping was knocking on our guests room doors before 11. His housekeeping staff can go and knock on peoples doors before check out but before a big event if some people that are staying there show up before check in and want to freshen up before attending a service at a church for a wedding they can't get into a room to freshen up. We had some guests that asked if they could just get into a room to freshen up before they came to the chruch for our ceremony and these guests were staying there that night just happened to be there before check in since our ceremony was at 1, they asked if they could just get into a room they didnt even care if it wasnt there room they just wanted to freshen up they were told no they couldnt get into a room check in is 3. Well since they told guests that check in is 3 then they need to remember that check out is 11 and leave the guests alone until then if they are not out of their rooms.Then Don the manager was out on the dance floor dancing a couple of times enjoying our party. Well yes it was our party but umm it’s his job to be sure that everything is going well and keep things going not to be out on the dance floor dancing and enjoying himself. This hotel is recently redone but the rooms outside our older rooms and are not as nice as the other rooms. We had some guests that were in the rooms outside and their rooms weren’t even clean enough that they could walk around without shoes on.
The honeymoon suite was awsome. The food from Adentures Bar and Resturant for our food for our reception was very good. The staff from Adventures did an excellent job with serving everyone and helping out. The staff from the Days Inn was very good at breaking down tables when we wanted to dance to begin. Another thing that bothered me was that Don the manager didnt really say anything to my groom at all. I would recommend this place to others but I sure hope he gets his act together and figures out that things need to change to keep customers happy.

• Stayed August 2009
5 Thank tonebone_2006
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

I stayed at Days Inn last night and was very happy with my room. It was very large, had 2 beds, a small flat screen tv, cable, and a great internet connection. The hotel has a pool and hot tub that are indoors, as well as a small patio out back with tables and chairs. A nice extra when you just want to spend a little time outside relaxing. The rooms were exceptionally clean- tons of pillows, too. The only downside is that my room was on the side facing busy Main Street & traffic was pretty loud when I was trying to sleep. Other than that, I would highly recommend this hotel.

They had the usual continental breakfast, plus waffles. Nothing spectacular, but nice. The hotel is 2 stories, but doesn't have an elevator.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Curriers Lakeview Lodge
#3 of 8 in Rice Lake
Americas Best Value Inn Chetek
AmeriVu Inn and Suites - Shell Lake

Been to AmeriVu Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!