“Friendly service, north woods atmosphere and tasty cuisine bring us back to the Holiday Acres Three Coins Restaurant.”

Holiday Acres' Three Coins Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 70 Restaurants in Rhinelander
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Three Coins Restaurant is located at Holiday Acres Resort in the Northwoods, just a 2 mile scenic drive off of County P just east of Rhinelander, WI. The Three Coins Restaurant and Lounge offers an interesting variety of dining options sure to please diners of all ages. Views of grazing whitetail deer are often seen through the windows surrounding the restaurant and bar. Before or after dining, take a walk to enjoy a sunset on Lake Thompson.
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We have gone to Holiday Acres for our family vacation for around 30 years. Each year, our last night at the resort is "lodge night" when we dine in the Three Coins Restaurant. It is an evening we all anticipate with relish. The friendly wait staff greet us with a smile. We enjoy the buffet and the warmth of the north woods dining room. We can't wait for next summer.

hodag, Owner at Holiday Acres' Three Coins Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Thank you, Melanie H., for taking the time to write a TA review. Your comments are what keep all of us encouraged and enthused. We look forward to seeing you again in 2014.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I did write a review with my resort review, but realized it might be better served by coming here and doing the same. We stayed at the resort August 2-5. After reading your reviews I was highly anticipating eating at the Three Coins. We arrived on 8/2 with our party of 7 and were brought to a table in the back room. Service was quite lackluster....like our waitress would forget about us or something. My daughter and I both ordered your most expensive items on the menu...wanting to give ourselves a real treat. The rest of our party (1 adult and 4 kids) ordered the buffet. When our food finally arrived from the kitchen we were extremely disappointed. The two menu items tasted nowhere near something supposedly made by an award winning chef. To top that off, our less picky buffet eaters were unsatisfied with their meals as well. My granddaughter, an avid mashed potato fan, wouldn't even touch hers and that is something I have never seen. We then had to sit around and wait for a check. There were no coins handed out as I had told my grandkids about. The next morning we decided to give the coffee shop a shot for breakfast. We walked in and were seated and sat. We sat for almost 25 minutes while the 2 waitresses delivered one order and some coffee and spent the rest of the time standing there talking. We finally got up and left. Needless to say, we made a trip into Rhinelander both Friday night and Saturday morning for some good food. While we absolutely love the resort, I am thoroughly disappointed with the food. As you can see it has been more than 2 months since our stay (I have been without a computer for that long) but I knew that I had to let you know about the bad experience we had.

2  Thank ifirgit

Dear Ifirget,
Thank you for taking the time to write two reviews on TA. We are very glad that you enjoyed your resort stay. We are sorry that you did not get the same level of attention and good service the evening you dined with us.

Although that was a very hectic evening at the restaurant, that is no excuse for the fact that you were given poor service, and left feeling less than glad that you came. We are a family owned business, and each guest is very important to us. Your review will continue to be used as a training example of how good or poor service can effect a guest experience.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Party of 7, sat right down to our table to be greeted immediatly by our server. Good drinks, reasonably priced. Had one buffet, two pork athena, one smoked beef loin, one alfredo and one ahi tuna. Everyone raved but buffet items a little dried out. Dessert- cheesecake divine. Only good place in town to have a wonderful meal!

Dear alababu,

Thank you for writing a review of Three Coins Restaurant. We are very glad you enjoyed your meals. We are being more conscious of buffet timing, and your suggestion will help us keep the Friday Night Buffet at peak quality.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

3 girlfriends (we've known each other for almost 40 years) together for a Friday night dinner in beautiful Northern Wisconsin. I had the buffet because I wanted to have both fried and baked fish AND also sample other offerings. Everything was tasty and hot (I like my food hot.) One friend had pan-fried pike ... said it was very very good. Other had pan-fried walleye. "Excellent" was her declaration! Love the decor. Wait staff was attentive. Would definitely go back here for dinner.

Dear Susan F.

Your very nice review means a great deal to all of us at Three Coins Restaurant. We are delighted that your group enjoyed their meals and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Our party of 3 visited on a Wednesday night - 9/4/13. We did not make reservations and arrived shortly before 6PM. Upon our arrival, there was no hostess at the hostess stand and 2 wait staff. The dining room was not overly busy. We had one of the wait staff pass us on his way to bar and he mumbled that somebody would be with us. We waited a good 5 minutes before we were seated by a waitress. We ordered cocktails and it took 10 minutes for the waitress to get our drinks. Drinks were not the best for the prices they charge. I ordered a Bacardi coke with a lime and I had to ask again for the lime after she brought out the drink. She never returned with the lime. We all ordered walleye, and it was good. We were given an apology for the delay of our food by what I thought was the return of a hostess (but I think she was the front desk person as she didn't stay at the hostess stand very long and was back at the front desk of the hotel). The so called hostess person stayed to help out a bit as there was a party of 6 that came in. But, I noticed from that party that a couple of the ladies had appeared to go up to the bar to get their own cocktails. And, I watched another table where our waitress mixed up their check, and that took awhile to get straightened out. I'm not sure if it was an off night or what happened. We have been going to Northern Wisconsin every summer for eons and this has always been one of the highlights of our trips. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case this year. The waitress wasn't very outgoing and telling us she would be back with what we ordered 'shortly' didn't help matters. And, we always look forward to getting coins to throw in the fountain on the way out. It was disappointing to find out the waitress hadn't given us any coins. We still enjoyed the setting and seeing the two deer wander over to the grassy area was an extra treat. Just wish the service would have been more up to par.

hodag, Owner at Holiday Acres' Three Coins Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Kimberly E,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectations, and it does sound like we missed our own targets to provide excellent service. We have spoken with staff about this evening and are not certain why we were not on top of our game. It is important to know when we haven't done our best, as well as when we do well. It is good to know that you enjoyed your walleye dinners, and the that the atmosphere and wildlife added extra enjoyment.
- Kari Z.