“Northwoods Great Getaway”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Rhinelander
northern IL
“Northwoods Great Getaway”
Reviewed May 22, 2008

I've been going to this resort on and off for about 20 years.
The staff and owners have always been friendly and ready to help.
The restaurant is great with a varied menu. Weekends there is a buffet on Friday and great brunch on Sundays.
I've always stayed in one of the cabins and found them to be very clean and tidy. Many of the cabins are on a ridge facing the lake so the view is good. Most of the cabins have fireplaces which makes it nice and cozy on a chilly night.
Sunsets are remarkable! There is a seating area facing the sunset side of the lake which is a relaxing way to end the evening.
I plan on going back soon!

• Liked — northwoods atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 3, 2008

My family discovered this place 5 years ago after having stayed at places all over Northern Wisconsin. While we had always enjoyed our stays in the North, Holiday Acres Resort offers more than just a great location and clean rooms, it's a real family place. After we discovered it we've never gone anywhere else. We were impressed by the friendly and straight forward staff, who always followed through when there was something we needed. I was shocked to read that another reviewer felt they'd been mislead, I sincerely can't imagine the folks at Holiday Acres doing anything of the sort. We've stayed at several different lakeside cabins before deciding on our favorite, the private and cozy Bayview. It's no secret that Holiday Acres has an abundance of lakeside cabins, I can only imagine that the other reviewer was involved in some sort of miscommunication. It's a shame because this family owned getaway is a real rarity in a time when accommodations all look and feel the same, without an ounce of true hospitality. This Resort is a class act, and the people there have real heart. That's something you can't get just anywhere.

This is a great place to bring your kids. Mine have made friends here that the look forward to meeting up with year after year. My wife any even managed a weekend getaway in the fall when the leaves were changing. It was a whole different place after the busy summer season. It had gone from bustling summer vacation spot, to a romantic hideaway for two. The dining is also top notch. We never felt the need to leave the grounds with their restaurant just a short walk away. Coming from high pressure city life, and ubiquitous modern standardization this is exactly the kind of place I want to escape to.

• Liked — The friendly staff, the beautiful grounds, the family feel
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Minneapolis
Reviewed September 5, 2007

First, the positives: The people that work here are all very nice and friendly and we found the food at both the coffee shop (breakfast) and lodge restaurant (dinner and breakfast) to be good. I was pleasantly surprised by the comfortable beds, nice pillows and decent linens. The lake was very nice and was not very busy even though it was Labor Day weekend.

Now the negatives: When I booked the hotel via a phone call, I was told that our cabin was on the lake. It was not. It was in a field across the road and down a path to the lake. I called two different times because after looking at their site, I wasn't conviced but each time I asked, I was told it was on the lake. Once we arrived and got to the cottage, I went back to ask if there was anything available. She gave me a map with two cottages circled and told me to check them out and see if I wanted them. Once I trekked to find them, I was they were not directly on the lake but in the woods. When I went back to tell her that these are not on the lake, she told me they only had two that were really on the lake but they were booked. I caution you that if you want to wake up and enjoy a nice lake view, this is not the place, unless you get one of the two lake homes. Use caution!

All in all, if you have a family or pets and want to hang out at a pretty resort that is very friendly, I think this would be a nice choice. Being on the water and having quick service so we could get out on the lake were important to us so it didn't meet our needs.

• Liked — Beautiful lake, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Misinformed about our cabin - not lakefront, slow service in restaurants
  • Stayed September 2007
2 Thank Sten00
hodag, Owner at Holiday Acres Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
We are happy that these folks appreciated and commented on the things that they enjoyed at Holiday Acres Resort.

It is hard to understand how the miscommunication occurred regarding the resort layout and units that are or are not located directly on Lake Thompson. Our staff is trained to explain location differences when taking reservations. Holiday Acres Resort has 1-four bedroom, 6 three bedroom, 2 two bedroom and 1 one bedroom that are located on the lake. We have cottages of all sizes located near the lake and some that are away from the lake. There is no way to explain how this mix-up occurred. Holiday Acres has been owned and operated by three generations of the same family for over 60 years. We take pride in pleasing our guests and would never intentionally misrepresent ourselves. Exceeding customer expectation is always our goal.
Madison, WI
Reviewed August 9, 2007

This resort has both cabins and lodge rooms. We spent three nights in the lodge for a short getaway. We found the rooms to be very large, nicely decorated and spotless. The room had a refrigertor and microwave, something they don't mention on their website. It isn't fancy. But everything is very well kept. The beach is clean with nice sand for playing and walking on, the water is shallow for quite a ways so it is nice for little kids. The water itself is tea colored as you get farther out. There are boats to rent and an indoor swimming pool for rainy days. All of the staff were very friendly.

They do allow pets in some rooms. The grounds are large and nice with tall pine trees. One night a week they have an all resort cookout. Bring your own meat, they provide the rest for free.

We had breakfast in the coffee shop and were disappointed. The pancakes didn't rise and were flat. However, we had dinner in the restaurant and it was excellent. So I think the coffee shop just had an off morning. We would stay here again.

• Liked — Beach and lake, friendly staff
  • Disliked — coffee shop was not the best
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank cgrl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinelander
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rhinelander
#5 of 12 in Eagle River
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#4 of 8 in Rhinelander

Been to Holiday Acres Resort? Share your experiences!