“90% Great”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Rhinelander
Plymouth wi
“90% Great”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

My family had a family reunion at Holiday Acres in August 2010. The place has great northern feel. Takes you back in time. The only problem I had was with the restaurant.
They had a wedding on the night we ate there and were very busy. My family was just getting into the resort and decided to eat one night at the restaurant. We went into the restaurant and asked to be seated at the bar so we could watch the preseason football game. The service was awful. My food never did come out. The waitress wanted to bring it out after the rest of my family was done eating. At that point I was bad and ask to speak to the manger. The manger of the restaurant embarrassed me in front of my family. She would not do anything except cut me down. Even said you know this is not Applebee's. Like I have never been to restaurant that was not fast food or chain. I told her my family reunion was 40 people and nobody will be eating here. We got up and paid the bill and left. When talking to the local couple on the way out they said it is normal very good.

The resort owner did give us a free boat motor for one week when he heard how rude his restaurant manger was. The place seems to go out of their way to make the guest happy.
We are going again this summer for another family reunion. It is a great place for family reunions with the indoor pool for rainy days. Great beach and lake. Great staff except for the restaurant manger. I am looking forward to the visit this summer but will not be eating in the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed June 15, 2011

My family and I have vacationed here for 15 years now and I look forward to this trip more and more each year! They always come up with new activities to do and treat you like family when you arrive. Kim and his family always remember us and greet us with a smile and such enthusiasm. The cabins are so nice and the lake is indescribeable! I want to get married here some day even though it's 6 hours away from my house in Illinois!! I can't wait until our trip up here in July and would definitely recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for that "home away from home" and quiet yet active and relaxing place to vacation! Thank you Zambon's for creating this amazing resort! :)

• Stayed July 2010
Reviewed June 10, 2011

What a wonderful place to stay in Rhinelander!! The lake and cabins are picture perfect with the staff so friendly you can't believe it. The trails were beautiful and the food and bar were awesome. Would stay again in minute!! Thanks for the great time!

• Stayed July 2010
Mountain, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Had a wonderful time on a quick weekend getaway from our own resort. Kari and Kim are great hosts and the food and music was wonderful...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I have been going to Holiday Acres for over 40 years. It's hard to believe. It is a fantastic resort. The owners, Kim & Kari Zambon are amazing. The restaurant has outstanding food and is still an old fashioned supper club with all the trimmings. The bar and bartenders are fantastic and make out of the world brandy alexanders and grasshoppers and anything else your heart desires. There is so much to do or do nothing, as you wish. The cottages are wonderful, most have fireplaces and overlook beautiful Lake Thompson. There is nothing better than sleeping in the northwoods. Fresh air, pine trees and quiet. This resort has everything one could want, from tennis courts, indoor pool, a beach, water sports, great walks in the woods, and horseback riding. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
hodag, Owner at Holiday Acres Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2011
Dear D.K.- Where have those 40 years gone? Thanks for being part of our Holiday Acres family and bringing your family into the fold! One of our great pleasures in the resort business is the making and keeping of friendships. You have always been a great friend and supporter of HAR. Thanks for taking the time to share your good words.
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 10, 2011

My Mom found this resort 28 years ago and we made it a family vacation every year. The owners and staff are wonderful, the cabins are nestled in the wooded resort. The kids always loved it because there is so much to do. The bar and dining room is gorgeous and the food is wonderful. My parents are gone now and my kids are 28 and 30 and they still get the enjoyment they did 28 years ago by going back to this resort. We went in May this year with our kids , sister and brother in law. It was a little bittersweet without our parents but i know they'd be happy we continue the tradition. We've never been disappointed at Holiday Acres, it's a must see resort!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
hodag, Owner at Holiday Acres Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2011
Thank you, LisaB for sharing your memories and appreciation on TripAdvisor. One of our great sources of pleasure is having multiple generations of families be Holiday Acres family friends. It is what keeps us going! We're so glad that the HAR traditions begun by your mom and dad are still part of what is important to your family. Looking forward to next time. Kari and Kim Z.
MN
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Families:
If you want a place where your children can talk about your stay for years to come, this is the place. It reminded me of the summer vacations on the lake I had as a child. I flashed back to a little girl when I saw the Holiday Acre Stables, where they have horses from May to Sept!

Couples: This is also a very nice place to take a weekend away, or for a special dinner at the restaurant at Holiday Acres (Tree Coins). It has a warm, inviting atmosphere with a fireplace, and a wonderful menu.

Rooms:
I stayed in the main lodge, so I can't speak to the new executive homes and cottages that they also rent. As for the rooms in the lodge, the charm of this place is not in updated fixtures and modern decor, but in old world charm. It was extremely clean. For you clean freaks, there was a sign about how seriously they take "clean." They had something called a "clean remote" which is a remote for the TV that can easily be wiped clean. I loved this after having watched a show on hotel rooms, and they showed that the most contaminated item in a hotel room is the remote! Yuck!

Staff:
The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. I was only here two nights and they were starting to call me by my first name!

Activities:
I would advise you to take a look at their website "www.holidayacres.com" where they highlight all their activities. I was surprised to learn that they actually groom their own trails for cross country skiing in the winter.

Suggestions:
The only suggestion I have is to add expresso-based coffee drinks (lattes, cappuccinos, etc) on premise for those that are addicted and need their fix!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhinelander
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rhinelander
#5 of 12 in Eagle River
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#4 of 8 in Rhinelander

Been to Holiday Acres Resort? Share your experiences!